Quantcast

NEWS: Disney CEO Bob Iger steps down

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
This is an interesting bit of news.

Iger IS Disney in its current form and he's turned it into such a behemoth that it's hard to see much changing, business wise, even after 2021.

That being said, Chapek is not what you would call a safe pair of hands. Many of the changes that have come about on the parks side of things as a result of his leadership have been widely criticised. One of the main things being that he's happy to pump out a mediocre visitor experience if he can slap a big name on it. (remind you of any other Disney ventures?)

The shares have taken a hit in the last 48 hours too so it's not just me who's a bit unsure about how this plays out for Disney.

Last edited:
Bob Iger is as influential as Katzenberg imo. They have brought the company back from the brink of death. Actually, I would argue Iger moreso than Katz.
I guess Disney has grown to not care about quality of output, as long it is some sort of output to begin with. Disney is also not the animation studio-company it used to be; its now a trillion dollar multi-vertical conglomerate. They will continue to pump out mediocre remakes of their previous IP's, and basically milk, cash-in, suck dry any and all of their properties going forward.
In that sense, Chapek is more of a businessman, than he is an animation visionary.

Last edited by a moderator:

StrikerXL

Standard Member
I don't think it will change anything on short- to mid-term for Disney, especially with their current roadmap.

gavinhanly

TBH - I might expect a change at Lucasfilm. This allows Iger to distance himself from any moves there - and it's the area that is going to be in need of some attention in the coming years. It'll all depend on the 2-3 year plan that should be announced this year at Celebration.

Its not just Lucasfilm however, there are chock-full of enterprises that Disney owns. Star Wars media should just exit films and make it for small screen viewing like animation and TV shows. We are DONE with SW 3logies.

Last edited by a moderator:

gavinhanly

4 billion+ for three main films tells us that will never happen. Short term pause, but there will be more Star Wars films. Head in the sand to think otherwise, I'm afraid.

Abrams is good with mythology, not so much with story. I am actually DYING for a pause. It would be better than to be treated to disappointments year after year smh.
And also... Enough with the live-action remakes already. Who asked for these?

logiclee

logiclee

He's awful at it. He's good at character and action; that's it.
He just ignores canon and lore to suite whatever plot he comes up with. OK for a one off action movie but just destroys franchises long term.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
He just ignores canon and lore to suite whatever plot he comes up with.
George Lucas never did that.

Anyways whatever change may or may not be occurring re: Star Wars, Disney as a whole is a much bigger and more unwieldy animal.

Don't expect Bob v.2 to start rocking the boat too much in the next couple of years.

Edit:
Me said:
Unwieldy animal
Who on earth wields an animal? Idiot.

Last edited:

scrowe

I think this is interesting news, and you have to wonder if Disney are trying to get ahead of something. Maybe that’s cynical.

It was well rumoured that Iger’s plan on original retirement was to campaign for US President, but he was persuaded to stay on, and as of now seems to have missed the boat on any political aspirations.

If you read his book, it could just simply be that he completed his vision , culminating in the rollout of Disney+. Given Disney needed a ‘next’ big strategy maybe he just decided it was the right time to let someone else conceive the next strategy leaving on a high after a record-breaking, possibly never to be repeated box office year.

scrowe

An incoming CEO of such a company will also want to make some quick bold moves. Lucasfilm and a Kennedy are like-it-or-not the obvious target, of an area which needs a rethink/revamp. I wonder where Feige will go. The overall Marvel creative position was pretty odd really. Most would have thought he would have been stepping up to replace Alan Horn as overall in charge of movie output, because he was dragged out of retirement by Igor, and is not getting any younger. Not sure if the criticisms of the new CEO around park attractions are valid, I would have assumed he is more overall mover and shaker of the creation of the parks as a whole, and isn’t the key decision maker on the creative decisions on the who, how and why if the rides and themes that are developed as attractions.

terencejames

I'm a bit of a Disney World nut and have always been amazed by the standard of the parks. Walt Disneys ethos was that of quality, no matter what the cost. When the company wasn't doing so well, it was because they had lost site of Disneys vision and were more concerned with cost. Bob Iger brought that ethos back in my opinion and it has served them well. I just hope that Bob Chapek doesn't change too much and continues to build on what Iger delivered.

logiclee

I'm a bit of a Disney World nut and have always been amazed by the standard of the parks. Walt Disneys ethos was that of quality, no matter what the cost. When the company wasn't doing so well, it was because they had lost site of Disneys vision and were more concerned with cost. Bob Iger brought that ethos back in my opinion and it has served them well. I just hope that Bob Chapek doesn't change too much and continues to build on what Iger delivered.
By his own admission he is a business man, not a creative person. While he may have made money for Disney and made some biq acquisitions some of the creative side has been highly questionable under his leadership.
This is where the new team will need change.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
What a clever chap Bob Iger is jumping ship with impeccable timing.