NEWS: Disney and Amazon eyeing stake in BT Sports

Happy for Amazon to get a chunk if they do not charge an additional premium as I refuse to buy BT Sport on top of my Sky Sports package.

Certainly don’t need anyone else joining this party, Amazon’s coverage has actually been really good, so hopefully they get the extra matches.

Happy for Amazon to get a chunk if they do not charge an additional premium as I refuse to buy BT Sport on top of my Sky Sports package.
I suspect that they'll pretend that they have to fund it somehow (and suddenly Mr. Bezos' pockets will no longer seem quite so deep) so it won't be a surprise if they increase the cost of Prime to cover "the additional value", citing the excuse/reason of "Well, we did a trial run last year with a few free Premier League matches and the take-up was so phenomenal we've decided to give our customers the chance to stump up for it!".

But maybe they'll add an extra subscription channel to Prime Video so customers have a choice (a radical idea)?

Free BT Sport with Disney+? 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
ahahah!

More like to follow Amazon and their subscription channels. Not exactly good business to pay millions/billions for no return..

Been waiting to see how BT would be able to keep funding their big football splurge it would appear that they need deeper pockets than they have access to currently.

Good. Can’t let the Americans have everything.

ITV have entered into the mix.

It will be interesting to see how that one develops. ITV look lost to me, I never watch it. Except the Bond movie reruns, does it have wide enough appeal anymore? Maybe adding CL and PL to their roster will help them. I'm surprised they haven't been bought out.

But I can only see Amazon and Disney being able to afford it all.

Football going back to the masses should be encouraged imo.

ahahah!

More like to follow Amazon and their subscription channels. Not exactly good business to pay millions/billions for no return..
I agree and it's just wishful thinking on my part. Having said that, the Premier League on Amazon is at no extra cost.

For now. Once covid fudges off that generosity might well disappear.

all for itv getting it but not if they go down there itv box office route. The used to have CL rights until BT out bid them for it. How ironic 🤣

They'll make their money from increased ad revenue.

DAZN may well pinch it imo. They're looking to expand into Europe and broaden their horizons outside of boxing. Football interest has grown in US over recent years, so there is a market on their home turf too..

I hope whoever gets a piece tries to usher in a new 'pay as you watch' era for BT Sport. I'm only interested in MotoGP but it really irritates me that I have to pay a single price which gives me access to sports I don't care about, like football.

Their MotoGP coverage is excellent though, by far the best in the sport, hence why I still pay. It'd just be nice to only have to pay to watch the sports we want to, rather than have to help pay the extortionate bills they no doubt have for having rights to the Premier League et al.

This will be good if Prime get it and it’s included in the subscription but, as others have said, that’s very unlikely given the ££££ involved.
Bonus for me if it does happen but no change otherwise as I don’t sub to BT Sport.

There really is an oversaturation of live football on TV nowadays - it has to bottom out at some stage. I think I actually watch a lot less because of that and I am selective in my viewing - mind you most of the big games have been rank rotten tepid affairs.

I am also not sure that spending billions in the UK local market is something that Amazon would do - but who knows they have billions try and kill off the competition.

I am also not sure that spending billions in the UK local market is something that Amazon would do - but who knows they have billions try and kill off the competition.
Amazon can broadcast to the World and sell more subscriptions, hence the interest.

Free BT Sport with Disney+? 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Can't see sports given for free, it's premium TV. There surely has to be an additional package advertised.

Does anyone know how pricey sports like NBA/NFL is in the states? Do they get it on the cheap with subscription packages?

If Amazon do get more rights I hope they sort out their refresh rate. IMO it's barely watchable on the FireTV Stick 4K

Amazon can broadcast to the World and sell more subscriptions, hence the interest.

No, they really can't. All football is sold on a territory by territory basis. So if they buy it in the UK, its only for the UK. £900m? I don't think so as they don't need that kind of heavy investment as they wouldn't make a profit on that kind of sink plus they already make billions with their current business model, so theres no need to change it.

No, they really can't. All football is sold on a territory by territory basis. So if they buy it in the UK, its only for the UK. £900m? I don't think so as they don't need that kind of heavy investment as they wouldn't make a profit on that kind of sink plus they already make billions with their current business model, so theres no need to change it.
Fair point but why bother buying any rights at all as they have done?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom