NEWS: Disney+ adds Star for streaming mature content outside U.S.

cybersoga

50E19F10-7593-476E-A316-2850201A0138.jpeg

cybersoga

Anyone care to speculate what we are going to see on the service? Id like to see all of James Cameron’s films in 4K

Purperen

A lot depends on who owns the UK streaming rights for particular films.

The Disney Investor's Day Presentation suggested that Terminator: Dark Fate, Alita: Battle Angel, Deadpool 1&2, Logan, JoJo Rabbit, Parasite, The Planet Of The Apes Trilogy, The Kingsman films, Murder On The Orient Express and older films like the Alien franchise, The Sixth Sense, The Die Hard films, Con-Air and dozens of other catalogue titles will be available.

Many older tv series like LOST, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Prison Break, The X-Files, Modern Family etc and the new shows available on Hulu in the USA that haven't aired here in the UK yet.

The Investor's Day presentation wasn't country specific though so it's hard to know which company owns which streaming rights in any particular country so some of the films mentioned above might not be available in the UK, and some films might be available here but not in Germany or Italy for example.

Hopefully, as many titles as possible will be available in 4K HDR. Disney+ UK's record so far concerning 4K as been a little iffy. There are a number of films that are 4K HDR in every other country that has Disney+ , that are only HD in the UK. The UK still have a huge number of films in 4K HDR though, so I'm hopeful for more under the Star brand.

Lee Moles

I’m sure Disney did a deal with SKY for all the new 20th Century Picture films so hope they still go on the service and aren’t tied to SKY

millerlfc

Only Atlanta on the new Star catalogue really interests me - realistically I'll probably cancel my existing sub once I've finished that, WandaVision, Falcon & Winter Soldier.

Evovski

I think there's probably a deal in place considering the disney + app has got a prime placement on the sky q box. Anyway, it's an instant subscribe for me. I can drop my hulu subscription, I've already dropped netflix duie to their pedo baiting antics with cuties.

Evovski

I’m sure Disney did a deal with SKY for all the new 20th Century Picture films so hope they still go on the service and aren’t tied to SKY

I don't really see the relevance; comcast bought the platform, not the content; if anything there'll be considerations for licensing agreements, but so far the relationship between Disney and sky appears to have been both profitable and amicable.

In that respect I actually think we have the advantage over the americans; whereas they're scrambling for a meal at the table with different streaming services, Sky and Virgin look like they're doing a good job at keeping as much content as possible in one place to benefit the customer base - I actually look forward to seeing the snyder cut on either sky cinema or sky atlantic for example.

Lee Moles

Hopefully there won’t be any issues. It’s probably more of the existing deals Disney have with Netflix which they will let expire. It may be a title by title basis with Sky. JoJo rabbit isn’t on Star next month but is on sky cinema yet, Call of the wild was on both platforms

gunner84

Distinguished Member
So if I sign up to monthly sub now, would the price increase not occur for me until August 2021?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published