NEWS: Disney+ adds Star for streaming mature content outside U.S.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
It is part of the news article and the source is Disnrey:

There's also another article dealing speifically with the upcoming price increase:

Was looking for something direct from Disney, but thanks for the info. 👍🏻

dante01

Distinguished Member
Was looking for something direct from Disney, but thanks for the info. 👍🏻

The news article is based upon what Disney themselves have divulged.

The source is clearly stated at the bottom of the article.

Source: Disney Investor's Day meeting

Disney have categorically stated that the price will increase and they've stated by how much.

Last edited:

Lee Moles

Im hoping 24 will be on Star. Its no longer on any streaming service.

90% sure it will be there. It’s a Fox shoe And it’s on Hulu in the US with all 9 seasons so I would be shocked if it isn’t there

GrazzaB

24 has also been on sale quite a lot on Apple, Google and Amazon etc. I think I bought the whole lot as an HD box set including Redemption and S9 for £25 or so with a discounted Apple gift card.

Apone

I like the sound of this. If the streaming content for Star also included 'high res' Dolby/DTS soundtracks - that would be fantastic.

Otherwise, what is the point of having eArc capable kit :p

dante01

Distinguished Member
I like the sound of this. If the streaming content for Star also included 'high res' Dolby/DTS soundtracks - that would be fantastic.

Otherwise, what is the point of having eArc capable kit :p

You'll not get HD or DTS audio via any of the streaming services. The best you'll get is DD+, but this does facilitate the inclusion of Atmos if and when the content has this option. DD+ inclusive of Atmos can be conveyed via conventional ARC anyway. The streaming services don't use HD formats because of the additional bandwidth this would require. They also don't use DTS encoding because far more TVs include integral support for Dolby Digital than DTS.

aARC is only really of any benefit if and when connecting external sources directly to a TV. eARC would allow you to pass HD formatted audio or multichannel PCM through the TV and out to a suitably equipped AVR or a soundbar.

Last edited:

Apone

aARC is only really of any benefit if and when connecting external sources directly to a TV. eARC would allow you to pass HD formatted audio or multichannel PCM through the TV and out to a suitably equipped AVR or a soundbar.

Agree - and that begs the question - if you have an AVR (which will have HDMI inputs anyway), then why not just plug everything into that and have one cable going to the TV?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Agree - and that begs the question - if you have an AVR (which will have HDMI inputs anyway), then why not just plug everything into that and have one cable going to the TV?

eARC has come in very handy given the recent HDMI 2.1 issues relating to the XBox series X and the inability of the new HDMI version 2.1 equipped AV receivers to passthrough 4K/120 from the console. It has also allowed those with older AVRs to not actually need a new HDMI version 2.1 equipped AV receiver in order to be able to benefit from some of the gaming features associated with HDMI version 2.1. Users simply need to connect the new gen games consoles directly to their HDMI version 2.1 equipped TV and use eARC to pass the associated audio through the TV and out to their slighly older AVR.

The same can be done in order to gain access to HDR10+ HDR which isn't supported by all but the most recent AV receivers. Quite a few displays and players do offer support for HDR10+ though so you can connect a compliant player directly to a display that supports HDR10+ and be able to portray the video with HDR10+ video while passing through HD formatted audio to an eARC equipped AVR. There aren't many discs encoded using HDR10+ HDR though and I don't personally think that HDR10+ will catch on anyway.

Last edited:

adbailey18

Its excellent value for money, especially when its split cost :smashin:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The £2 adult should be an addon as it penalizes families who just want the Disney stuff.

It was rumored that Disney were planning to increase subscription charges anyway and the additional adult orientated content isn't specifically to blame. Besides which, Disney needs an outlet for content it now owns that isn;t necessarily targetted at children. I think they'd have started to lose customers if they'd trued to maintain the service as just being something targetted at kids. I personally think it actually makes more sense to rename the service it make it less a Disney thing and more of an outlet for all the content Disney now owns.

adbailey18

All the content on there currently isn't for kids anyway, granted not as adult themed as whats coming but stuff I wouldn't be comfortable with my kids watching...hence the 'kids' profiles you can set up.

hancock54

It was rumored that Disney were planning to increase subscription charges anyway and the additional adult orientated content isn't specifically to blame. Besides which, Disney needs an outlet for content it now owns that isn;t necessarily targetted at children. I think they'd have started to lose customers if they'd trued to maintain the service as just being something targetted at kids. I personally think it actually makes more sense to rename the service it make it less a Disney thing and more of an outlet for all the content Disney now owns.
They were raising the price by a £1 anyway so it’s a extra £1 for more adult content

BMox81

Distinguished Member
The news article is based upon what Disney themselves have divulged.

The source is clearly stated at the bottom of the article.

Disney have categorically stated that the price will increase and they've stated by how much.

I’ve read the Investor Report on their website but no specific mention of the UK-only Europe.

I’m not disputing that there won’t be an increase but I’d prefer to see something on their site reflecting the change.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Disney has confirmed that the UK subscription price for Disney+ will rise to £7.99 a month from February 23, 2021.

Prices after the rise goes into effect as of February 23, 2021:
• Canada: $11.99/month or $119.99/annual​
• Australia: $11.99/month or $119.99/annual​
• New Zealand: $12.99/month or $129.99/annual​
• UK: £7.99/month or £79.90/annual​
• Euro: 8.99/month or 89.90/annual​
• Norway: 89.00kr/month or 890.00kr/annual​
• Denmark: 79.00kr/month or 790.00kr/annual​
• Sweden: 89.00 kr/month or 890.00 kr/annual​
• Switzerland: CHF12.90/month or CHF129.00/annual​
• Singapore: $11.98/month or $119.98/annual​

By the way, this coinsides with the launch of Disney's service in Singapore which will also go into action on February 23 next year.

Last edited:

mazon27091

Disney should probably start the Star brand now (with europe and the US in lockdown) They could do just a soft release with fox movies and tv that is unlicenced elsewhere.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Disney should probably start the Star brand now (with europe and the US in lockdown) They could do just a soft release with fox movies and tv that is unlicenced elsewhere.

Why?

I'm sure that they've analysed when they can roll this out and I'd hazzard that they've good reason for deciding to do it worldwide on February 23?

I'd also imagine that if Disney is obligated to not release content in some regions then they'll still withold such content in those regions despite the expansion of the service? They've not said that all the content will always be the exact same content wherever you are accessing the service. If they've still contractual obgligations in other regions and or other restrictions upon their output then they are onviously still going to have to comply with these.

Last edited:

BMox81

Distinguished Member

Prices after the rise goes into effect as of February 23, 2021:
• Canada: $11.99/month or $119.99/annual​
• Australia: $11.99/month or $119.99/annual​
• New Zealand: $12.99/month or $129.99/annual​
• UK: £7.99/month or £79.90/annual​
• Euro: 8.99/month or 89.90/annual​
• Norway: 89.00kr/month or 890.00kr/annual​
• Denmark: 79.00kr/month or 790.00kr/annual​
• Sweden: 89.00 kr/month or 890.00 kr/annual​
• Switzerland: CHF12.90/month or CHF129.00/annual​
• Singapore: $11.98/month or $119.98/annual​

By the way, this coinsides with the launch of Disney's service in Singapore which will also go into action on February 23 next year.

Mate you keep bolding stuff but all you’re linking is third party websites mentioning the price rise.

Again, not that I’ve got any issue with a price rise as the service is ridiculous value even at £79.99, but again, I personally would rather see something direct from Disney themselves than what you’re providing.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Great. So you are saying these reputable outlets are all wrong? The source is Disney despite you not being able to go find it on Disney's site. Ring them and ask to speak with a press officer.

I'll make a bet with you that on the 23 February 2021 that Disney+'s subs will increase to £7.99/month or £79.90 annually.

What do you want, a personal letter from Walt?

Last edited:

BMox81

Distinguished Member
Great. So you are saying these reputable outlets are all wrong? The source is Disney despite you not being able to go find it on Disney's site. Ring them and ask to speak with a press officer.

I'll make a bet with you that on the 23 February 2021 that Disney+'s subs will increase to £7.99/month or £79.90 annually.

What do you want, a personal letter from Walt?

As I’ve already mentioned, I’ve checked their site, checked their press release-no mention of a price rise in the UK. So don’t get upset at the point that every link you’ve posted can’t provide an official link to Disney confirming said rise.

And even in my previous post, I’ve no issues if a price increase happens, I just want to see it from Disney themselves. 👍🏻

mazon27091

Why?

I'm sure that they've analysed when they can roll this out and I'd hazzard that they've good reason for deciding to do it worldwide on February 23?

I'd also imagine that if Disney is obligated to not release content in some regions then they'll still withold such content in those regions despite the expansion of the service? They've not said that all the content will always be the exact same content wherever you are accessing the service. If they've still contractual obgligations in other regions and or other restrictions upon their output then they are onviously still going to have to comply with these.

Why? Well as I stated with a lot of the world at home right now due to various lockdowns they could get more subscribers, which at the end of the day is all that counts. We may still be in the same situation in February (who knows?) but if the vaccine does it's job maybe less people will want to spend more money on Disney+ when they don't have the time to watch it.

Hey it's all guess work we don't know anything for definite in this world right now. Going back to normal, I'm beginning to think that will never happen.

BMox81

Distinguished Member

Official help page indicating the price change.

This article indicates that current prices will be honoured for another six months in Europe. So there might be the option of signing up for another year in March (when most people did) for the £59.99.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett