NEWS: Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug

The A110 also has only one 8K/60 + 4K/120 input

Yes and is exactly the same as the upgraded X8500 in this department. It is basically the same board employed onboard both unit except the board being used for the upgrade has a revised HDMI version 2.1 chipset, one that hasn't the HDMI version 2.1 "bug".

Last edited:
the board being used for the upgrade has a revised HDMI version 2.1 chipset, one that hasn't the HDMI version 2.1 "bug".
All new boards this year have second gen HDMI 2.1 chips, running up to 40 Gbps.

No one really knows at this moment how reliably new boards would be performing. We hope for the best, while being ready for anything.

There is no good reason to believe more in any marketing this year in comparison to last (dreadful) year, even if companies placed gold inside of those machines.

We will judge them by performance when we see it. Simple.

Hello members. I have opened a new thread, to address issues this thread was not able to cope with.
  • removed names of manufacturers, so no one is labelled in the naming scheme
  • condensed knowledge we currently have across the industry
  • it's the thread specifically dedicated to HDMI 2.1 transition and features in AV devices as such
  • it is specific enough for anyone to find out about those issues in multiple devices, regardless of brand they have or intend to buy
  • the thread is independent from any owners threads or marketing
  • it's purely consumer-oriented for for consumers in terms of accurate information
  • please join our discussions and post the link to this thread wherever you find it suitable
  • there is growing interest in HDMI 2.1 features across the board, so it's a good place to discuss
  • it's also about debunking advertised features and often vague communication from companies
  • we analyse, scrutinize, criticize, ask quesitons
  • don't forget humour - we are only humans wrestling with new tech, not with each other

I am confused. I think I don't need to replace my 3080 after all. From what I can as certain, the upgraded machine will only be of benefit to gamers. I was hoping it would upscale my 4k player and Amazon box, Virgin Box and Apple 4k to 8k or at least to 120Hz.

If I have understood what I have read, this is not so.

Are their other reasons to upgrade? I came into rather a lot of dosh a few months ago and as yet cannot find a thing to buy! Oh, I got the latest update of the smart watch I use. Mind you it won't be long before we can start to travel again and it still I while before I have to go to Switzerland...

I am confused. I think I don't need to replace my 3080 after all. From what I can as certain, the upgraded machine will only be of benefit to gamers. I was hoping it would upscale my 4k player and Amazon box, Virgin Box and Apple 4k to 8k or at least to 120Hz.

If I have understood what I have read, this is not so.

Are their other reasons to upgrade? I came into rather a lot of dosh a few months ago and as yet cannot find a thing to buy! Oh, I got the latest update of the smart watch I use. Mind you it won't be long before we can start to travel again and it still I while before I have to go to Switzerland...

Unless you've a need to passthrough 4K 120Hx or 8K 60Hz then you'd not really need HDMI version 2.1. There are other advantages as well, but they are targetted at gamers. The other new features would be an ability to passthrough HDR10+. I'd personally not be bothered by an inability to passthrough HDR10+ anyway because my TV doesn't support it and there's not that much content actually encoded with it. Dolby Vision compliance is of far more importance and you've already got that.

If you were to update your current model to either the Yamaha A6 or A8 then you would also gain support for Auro3D.

If you've an 8K TV then that TV will already be upscaling lesser resolutions up to 8K. You'd not need an AVR receiver to do this.

Last edited:
Unless you've a need to passthrough 4K 120Hx or 8K 60Hz then you'd not really need HDMI version 2.1. There are other advantages as well, but they are targetted at gamers. The other new features would be an ability to passthrough HDR10+. I'd personally not be bothered by an inability to passthrough HDT10+ anyway because my TV doesn't support it and there's not that much content actually encoded with it. Dolby Vision compliance is of far more importance and you've already got that.

If you were to update your current model to either the Yamaha A6 or A8 then you would also gain support for Auro3D.

If you've an 8K TV then that TV will already be upscaling lesser resolutions up to 8K. You'd not need an AVR receiver to do this.
Thank you. My tv was last years Panasonic flagship, HZ2000≥ It goes up to 4k 120Hz but never seen it in action. The most I get is 60Hz. Yes, I get DV and DA. and the HDRs. I used to set it so that it was 24k until I discovered the higher the number, the better the res. Thru the Virgin box it mainly gives me 3840/2160 50hz or 60hz but no DV or DA. The Amazon box gives DV and DA. 60hz

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom