NEWS: Denon launches new flagship AVC-X8500HA AV amplifier

dante01

Distinguished Member
It isn't technically a new AV amp and is simply the old X8500 with a new HDMI version 2.1 board, the same board that existing X8500 or Marantz AV8805 owners can pay £680 to have their AV amp or processor upgraded with:

walshy77

So how does the 8500HA compare to the A110? I have a 7200wa I will be upgrading later this year...

dante01

Distinguished Member
So how does the 8500HA compare to the A110? I have a 7200wa I will be upgrading later this year...

The A110 is an X8600 with knobs on. The HDMI version 2.1 board is the same board so there nothing to gain there. Build quality is different though. The features will also now be the same once the board is installed and you've carried out the new firmware update.

I guess you'd have to listen to them in order to determine whether or not the extra effort exserted on the A110's build has made a difference to the way it sounds? In terms of features and tech, they are basically the same once the X8500 is upgraded and the firmware revision has been applied.

So what are you paying extra for? The A110 has ailver graphite colour, iron diecast feet, copper transformer plate, and a new back and speaker panels. It features an all-black interior, but no one knows why? And yes, it costs £1.5K more

Last edited:

walshy77

The A110 is an X8600 with knobs on. The HDMI version 2.1 board is the same board so there nothing to gain there. Build quality is different though. The features will also now be the same once the board is installed and you've carried out the new firmware update.

I guess you'd have to listen to them in order to determine whether or not the extra effort exserted on the A110's build has made a difference to the way it sounds? In terms of features and tech, they are basically the same once the X8500 is upgraded and the firmware revision has been applied.

So what are you paying extra for? The A110 has ailver graphite colour, iron diecast feet, copper transformer plate, and a new back and speaker panels. It features an all-black interior, but no one knows why? And yes, it costs £1.5K more
Cheers Dante, yes it appears the 110 is way overpriced now they have released the 8500HA! Certainly not worth the extra £££ is all the difference is colour and copper TP. The interior could be pink as far as i'm concerned.

Ok maybe not pink.....

dante01

Distinguished Member
One last difference between the upgraded X8500 model and the A110. The upgraded X8500 will not suffer from the HDMI version 2.1 bug. The upgrade board uses a new HDMI chipset not effected by that issue. The current A110 model at you local retailer will be effected and will need the associated adaptor. Rumour is that Denon will be integrating the adaptor into their models later in the year, but this is only applicable to new models and isn't expected to be a retro fit option?

Last edited:

walshy77

That's p*ss poor that the 110 has this bug...Not a chance I'll be getting the 110 then. In fact I'll be building a full home cinema next year so will go Trinnov.
When is the successor to the 8500 due? Next year or 2023?

Cartman4x

Wow, £649 for the update. Sounds like us 8500H upgraders are going to be paying for those "free" boxes they are giving out for the chip set issue with the other amps

dante01

Distinguished Member
Wow, £649 for the update. Sounds like us 8500H upgraders are going to be paying for those "free" boxes they are giving out for the chip set issue with the other amps

It is about the same as what they asked for previous HDMI board upgrades in associatiation with previous flagship models. This isn't the first time Denon have made such an option available to owners of their flagship model.

gambit6

It's now listed on Denon's website with higher-resolution pictures

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom