NEWS: Denon launch new X6400, X4400 and X3400 AV Receivers

Including Auro3D as standard on some models is a good move. Presumably it will also include Auro2D? That will be handy for those that miss an equivalent to Dolby PLII and don't always want all their speakers active (Dolby Surround).

So the fact its getting eArc, does this mean it can go hdmi2.1 or 2.1>18Gb..., or will it simply be 2.0b with eArc (which is great, but just think about VRR..)?

Assuming the flagship timescale, it will have 2.1

I'm purchasing next month, so may hold off for the X4400H

Sounds like the now 10 year wait for a Denon AVC-A1HD replacement is finally on the cards.

As good as the current flagship AV Receivers are, they are not in the same league as Denon's flagship AV Amplifiers from the last decade.

So, is the 6400 the new flagship ? I need to replace my AVC-A1XVA at some point, but it needs to be REALLY good to compete with it, otherwise no deal.. !

So, is the 6400 the new flagship ? I need to replace my AVC-A1XVA at some point, but it needs to be REALLY good to compete with it, otherwise no deal.. !

No. Next years replacement for the X7200WA will likely be the flagship.

Am I reading this right? The higher models have 13.2 channels of processing, so we can now do 9.x.4, with wides as well as back surrounds?

If so, that for me is the biggest news!

Am I reading this right? The higher models have 13.2 channels of processing, so we can now do 9.x.4, with wides as well as back surrounds?

If so, that for me is the biggest news!
Yes that's correct, it will have 13 channels of processing, so you'll be able to choose between 9.1.4 or 7.1.6 which is very interesting. I can't say any more at the moment unfortunately but I'm really looking forward to this new flagship amplifier from Denon.

So the fact its getting eArc, does this mean it can go hdmi2.1 or 2.1>18Gb..., or will it simply be 2.0b with eArc (which is great, but just think about VRR..)?

Assuming the flagship timescale, it will have 2.1

I'm purchasing next month, so may hold off for the X4400H
I'm pretty sure the receivers that have been announced are not using HDMI 2.1 but quite a few features like eARC, dynamic metadata and VRR can be delivered using HDMI 2.0 as long as the bandwidth doesn't exceed 18Gb. It's purely speculation on my part but I think you're right, the delay to the flagship models might well be to accommodate HDMI 2.1 – which makes sense.

Is the HEOS speaker thing something people actually use?
I'm not seeing the advantage over simple wifi or Bluetooth speakers that I can connect to from my phone..?
I have a HEOS compatible Denon amp (X4200W). But, I use Apple Music which is unsupported.
And anyway, I can just Bluetooth or AirPlay to connect to either amp, or speakers, and that works fine.
What am I missing?

Yes that's correct, it will have 13 channels of processing, so you'll be able to choose between 9.1.4 or 7.1.6 which is very interesting. I can't say any more at the moment unfortunately but I'm really looking forward to this new flagship amplifier from Denon.

Brilliant!

I should have my room finished around the end of August (and I've just been wiring for 9.x.4); I may well hang fire on buying a Processor or Amp until these are available. My 818 may actually see some use after all! :cool:

The spec on the entry level Denons is pretty good for the price. Any news on which amps have pre-outs? If they do then you'd get a pretty nice atmos processor that you could match with a Dirac box and a cheap power amp. Would make a nice system.

Hi @Steve Withers ,

Over on AVS they are saying the 6400 only has 11 channels, not the 13 quoted in your article. Can you verify which is correct?

I appreciate the flagship amp will have 13 channel processing, just want to check the 6400 has it too.

It probably won't make a difference (other than to my bank balance), as knowing that 13 channels are just around the corner, I'll probably still stick with the 818 until the 13 channel units become available.

Thanks

The X6400 has only 11 channels of integral amplification, but has 13 channels of processing so you can add an additional 2 channels of external amplification to give you a 13 channel setup. Also note that the article doesn't state that the X6400 has anything more than 11 channels of integral amplificatio:

Last but by no means least there’s the AVR-X6400H which includes all the features mentioned so far but has 11-channels of amplification built-in with 205W per a channel. There’s a 5.1 bi-amping mode, along with 13.2-channels of processing and 13.2-channel outputs. The X6400H has a suggested retail price of £2,099 and will be available in September. All of Denon’s AV Receivers are available in black and the X4400H and X6400H also offer the option of silver.

You'd need to wait until spring of next year for the AVRX7200's replacement if wanting a receiver with 13 channels of integral amplification. The AVRX6400 is not DEnon's flagship model nor the replacement for the AVRX7200.

Last edited:
When they say that these new receivers will be able to 'support' HLG, what does that mean exactly and what will be different to the previous generation, given that HDMI AND HDCP specs look the same. As an x3300 owner, will that not be able to pass through HLG metadata if needed in future?

When they say that these new receivers will be able to 'support' HLG, what does that mean exactly and what will be different to the previous generation, given that HDMI AND HDCP specs look the same. As an x3300 owner, will that not be able to pass through HLG metadata if needed in future?

HLG is a form of HDR. All current models apart from the AVRX7200 will be getting an update that gives them both HLG and Dolby Vision HDR compliance:

HDR FORMAT COMPATIBILITY

Last edited:
The X6400 has only 11 channels of integral amplification, but has 13 channels of processing so you can add an additional 2 channels of external amplification to give you a 13 channel setup. Also note that the article doesn't state that the X6400 has anything more than 11 channels of integral amplificatio:

You'd need to wait until spring of next year for the AVRX7200's replacement if wanting a receiver with 13 channels of integral amplification. The AVRX6400 is not DEnon's flagship model nor the replacement for the AVRX7200.

Hi @dante01 ,

I understand that I'd need to add an external amp (I actually have enough external amplification to power all 13 channels), but over on AVS it is specifically being stated that the 6400 can only process 11 channels - it is being said that Steve's information is incorrect.

I'd just like clarification.

Thanks

Hi @dante01 ,

I understand that I'd need to add an external amp (I actually have enough external amplification to power all 13 channels), but over on AVS it is specifically being stated that the 6400 can only process 11 channels - it is being said that Steve's information is incorrect.

I'd just like clarification.

Thanks

The AVRX6400 is reported as having 13.2 processing. If there is a mistake then I'd suggest it to be within Denon's own press releases?

Last edited:
I was going to upgrade to Dolby Atmos in the next few months and purchase a DENON
AVRX2300W, but think i'll have to consider the entry level AVR-X1400H now due to the inclusion of Dolby Vision. A very reasonable price too as the 2300 is still retailing at £329 on Richer Sounds, though I suspect this may come down a little now these new receivers are available.

A day one purchase for me on the 4400. Currently have the 4100 and have loved it but now having a Oled I would like the support of the Dolby Vision and HDR formats. September though is a long way away...

I was going to upgrade to Dolby Atmos in the next few months and purchase a DENON
AVRX2300W, but think i'll have to consider the entry level AVR-X1400H now due to the inclusion of Dolby Vision. A very reasonable price too as the 2300 is still retailing at £329 on Richer Sounds, though I suspect this may come down a little now these new receivers are available.

All current Denon models apart from the AVRX7200 will be both HLG and Dolby Vision compliant. You don't need to buy one of the upcoming models to get this ability. THe AVRX1300 and the 2300 will both be getting an HLG Dolby Vision update.

HDR FORMAT COMPATIBILITY

A day one purchase for me on the 4400. Currently have the 4100 and have loved it but now having a Oled I would like the support of the Dolby Vision and HDR formats. September though is a long way away...

See my post above. You don't need to buy one of the new models to get HLG and or Dolby Vision compliance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom