NEWS: Denon introduces Home 550 soundbar

GAS66

That looks on the face of it to be a really feature packed, well spec'd Soundbar, and at a very competitive price.
It'll be interesting to see how it performs in critical listening and functions testing.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Was on a webinar yesterday and it did gain praise from members of their staff who’d heard it, but didn’t expect much from it saying it was better than they expected by quite a margin. The specs look good indeed and if it performs well, then it will be a hit.

It’s also nice it can be shelf wall mounted to. Cannot wait to hear it as it should be a winner for people wanting a true wireless soundbar solution which can be paired with a woofer and HEOS smart speakers to create a dedicated discrete living room cinema

Attachments

• 57448128-8DE0-4494-8457-A901B1C6D68B.jpeg
    57448128-8DE0-4494-8457-A901B1C6D68B.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 213

leedebs

seems promising, what price we looking at for the 5.1 set?

Attachments

• 5.1 kit.jpg
    5.1 kit.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 203

Joe C

seems promising, what price we looking at for the 5.1 set?

You would be looking at about £1600 all in using Home 150's for the rears, £2000 with 250's and £2300 with the 350's

gavinbullstag

A fair old chunk for convenience but clearly there is a market for it.

It would be interesting to run a comparison of this kit Vs traditional arrangement to see how close they are.

GAS66

A fair old chunk for convenience but clearly there is a market for it.

It would be interesting to run a comparison of this kit Vs traditional arrangement to see how close they are.
Agree totally! I would love to see 2 full blown shootouts between:
1)Mid -Priced Soundbars VS price Matched All in one 5,6,7.1 AVR based Set-ups, and
2) Top of the Range/Rolls Royce Soundbars VS Price Matched, Multi Manufacturer's AVR
Separates based set-ups

gavinbullstag

I'd like to be involved in a blind test like this, Avforums, when the time is right could this be facilitated?

Maybe 20 willing volunteers to blind test a handful of systems? You could have a 30 mins test of various material to keep it short.

It would also be interesting to hear the difference between the low budget Vs pricier systems.

I'd be happy to lend a hand with this if there is ever the opportunity.

nobby

would this be compatible with the previous variant of HEOS? I have the sub and a pair of HEOS 1's and wonder if the new bar would control these OK?

seems a great spec considering the price ... hopefully it performs well

Joe C

I saw on Denon's site it said any HEOS speaker

steve33shoreham

Anyone got one of these yet?

mug

Is there likely to be reviews on the day (15th) of release?

markwilliams1203

Standard Member
I've pre-ordered one, I'm a little nervous that the Denon website seems to be implying that you won't be able to add the subwoofer or surrounds until a firmware update 'in the Spring' but I'm happy to trust it'll happen and set it up bit by bit!

mug

I've pre-ordered one, I'm a little nervous that the Denon website seems to be implying that you won't be able to add the subwoofer or surrounds until a firmware update 'in the Spring' but I'm happy to trust it'll happen and set it up bit by bit!

Can't wait for your review. I've got a Bose 300 Smart Soundbar, I'm hoping this Denon is a step-up in sound quality. If it has a bit more bass and has a somewhat decent surround sound effect it'll be a winner.

steve33shoreham

I hope too, currently selling my S716h soundbar to replace it with this and will be keeping my sub to add it to the 550 as soon as.

I's be interested in your review. Just out of interest, did you have to pay £RRP for it?

Although, it only points/star's to the firmware update being required for the Home speakers and not the Sub directly in the product blurb. So maybe the sub will work out of the box?!

"Optional Denon Home 150, 250, or 350 can be paired as dedicated rear speakers, creating dynamic Denon surround sound all around you*. If you’re looking for even more bass in your home theatre, connect a wireless Denon DSW-1H subwoofer. *This feature will be added via a software update in Spring 2021."

Denon Home 550

There is also supposed to be a firmware update to add vouce commands for Alexa etc due in the spring too.

I was annoyed with the product advice on several retailers website which state the S716h has Airplay 2 when it doesn't appear to and is not on Denon's product page. Although the lesser S516h does, which doesn't really compute being that the S716h is supposed to their premium offering!

markwilliams1203

Standard Member
I hope too, currently selling my S716h soundbar to replace it with this and will be keeping my sub to add it to the 550 as soon as.

I's be interested in your review. Just out of interest, did you have to pay £RRP for it?

Although, it only points/star's to the firmware update being required for the Home speakers and not the Sub directly in the product blurb. So maybe the sub will work out of the box?!

"Optional Denon Home 150, 250, or 350 can be paired as dedicated rear speakers, creating dynamic Denon surround sound all around you*. If you’re looking for even more bass in your home theatre, connect a wireless Denon DSW-1H subwoofer. *This feature will be added via a software update in Spring 2021."

Denon Home 550

There is also supposed to be a firmware update to add vouce commands for Alexa etc due in the spring too.

I was annoyed with the product advice on several retailers website which state the S716h has Airplay 2 when it doesn't appear to and is not on Denon's product page. Although the lesser S516h does, which doesn't really compute being that the S716h is supposed to their premium offering!
Yes I've paid £599 through Amazon.

As for the firmware, yep I'm a bit confused as to the details and the DSW-1H sub (at £599) is definitely a purchase for a later day anyway. I also figured that there's no point getting the surrounds just yet in the scenario of the 550 having to go back for any reason. The product information on the Denon site seems to be a little sketchy so I'm not surprised you're annoyed, for what it's worth the 550 supposedly does have Airplay 2.

Happy to post a review next week, this is replacing a Sonos Arc and a pair of Play:1 surrounds so fingers crossed the Denon is as good as I hope it'll be!

mug

I
Yes I've paid £599 through Amazon.

As for the firmware, yep I'm a bit confused as to the details and the DSW-1H sub (at £599) is definitely a purchase for a later day anyway. I also figured that there's no point getting the surrounds just yet in the scenario of the 550 having to go back for any reason. The product information on the Denon site seems to be a little sketchy so I'm not surprised you're annoyed, for what it's worth the 550 supposedly does have Airplay 2.

Happy to post a review next week, this is replacing a Sonos Arc and a pair of Play:1 surrounds so fingers crossed the Denon is as good as I hope it'll be!
If it's even close to the Arc it's a 100% buy for me! How was the bass on the Arc? The Bose I have is slightly better than the Beam which I had a few months ago. I have 90-days to test out the Bose 300 so I'll send it back if the Denon is a step-up. I'm curious why you didn't buy it from Denon direct as they have a 30-day trial/returns policy.

Are you getting just the soundbar and nothing else?

steve33shoreham

The smaller size is the main reason I am changing to the 550 but the airplay not being on the 716 was annoying.

Can't fault the soundbar itself, the sound is fantastic and blew the socks off the Sonos Beam it replaced as you'd expect/hope for a product double the price.

The Heos and Sonos apps are quite similar, the Sonos probably being a bit slicker overall.

Not sure if the Sonos suffers with it, but Alexa commands to the Heos for BBC radio streams have issues sometimes and best used through the app, airplay from BBC Sounds or the new shortcut buttons.

The shortcut buttons on top of the Home speakers and soundbar are a simple but excellent addition as far as I'm concerned.

PS, why the change from the Arc, thought they were supposed to be very good?

markwilliams1203

Standard Member
I

If it's even close to the Arc it's a 100% buy for me! How was the bass on the Arc? The Bose I have is slightly better than the Beam which I had a few months ago. I have 90-days to test out the Bose 300 so I'll send it back if the Denon is a step-up. I'm curious why you didn't buy it from Denon direct as they have a 30-day trial/returns policy.

Are you getting just the soundbar and nothing else?
I got shot of the Arc and Play:1s for a couple of reasons – firstly, I was a little bit underwhelmed by the sound if I’m honest. Don’t get me wrong, it was full and clear and did a reasonable job of replacing my previous amp/speaker set up, the bass was good without the need for a separate sub but I think I was just expecting a bit MORE after all the reviews etc. I’m fully bought in to the Sonos ecosystem with two Beams, six Ones and a Move elsewhere in the house so I really wanted to love it. My TV only has ARC rather than eARC as well so I was not going to get the full Atmos effect, but the whole setup just left me a little flat.

Secondly, the lack of DTS support killed me – I’ve been adding my Blu Ray collection to Plex over the months and the fact that the Arc couldn’t handle the format native to most Blu Rays via Plex meant that it had to go.

I bought from Amazon as I had a £200 gift voucher on my account, also I've got Prime so it should be with me by 16th. Amazon are pretty good with their returns as well but hopefully it won't come to that!

Just getting the soundbar for now, once the firmware allows I'll add a pair of 150s and maybe the sub at some point. Due to the fact that it's pretty much the same size as the Sonos Beam, if it's as good as I hope then I might switch out the Beams for 550s over time.

bydandie

This is interesting to me, I have a DHT-S316 2.1 setup which is getting a new lease of life after being hooked up to a better TV. If the standalone unit is comparable then I’d likely get that and then build out over a couple of years.

steve33shoreham

I think going from a proper half decent surround sound to a soundbar is always going to be a bit underwhelming, saying that I didn't have the surrounds with my bar but the quality and boom from the front and the sub was not far off my 5.1 setup.

I see Amazon are now out of stock, am in no immediate rush as waiting to sell my other soundbar to fund this one, but would love to hear what you think once its set up.

mug

Anyone's turned/turning up today?

markwilliams1203

Standard Member
Mine was supposed to be coming today from Amazon however I got the dreaded ‘we’re still trying to obtain your item’ email this morning so I’ve cancelled it and ordered direct from Denon 🙄

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Philips TV to offer Mimi Sound Personalisation
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney predicts shorter theatrical release windows
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms