NEWS: Denon introduces 8K ready AV Receivers as industry's first

Maybe update the text with lack of tuner, hence the "AVC" instead of "AVR"? This is not an receiver what I can see.

I won't move to 8k for at least 5, maybe closer to 10, years.
There's a dearth of content for 4k, nevermind 8k.
Christ the majority of the stations in the UK on broadcast TV are still in SD for some reason.
The only benefit, in my opinion, that this might bring now would be the hdmi 2.1 gaming features but I have my consoles directly connected to the telly anyway. Would be useful for some though.

Cheers. Perfect timing for this post :) I am very interested in these, especially the 2700 (but potentially the 3700). This does seem a potential minefield of specifications though. Or very easy to misinterpret.

Nowhere on the specifications does it seem to mention HDMI 2.1, so I'm assuming there's a reason Denon avoid this.

Am I right that only the "8K" HDMI port will support VRR and other useful HDMI 2.1 features ? So if I plug in a PS5, then I cannot attach a PC via HDMI in the future or any other next gen console ?

Regarding the 2 HDMI Outs. Can I use these to 2 TV's at the same time ? No need to do any switching ? This is currently how my Yamaha Receiver works.

Looks like my receiver is on the way out, budget to replace is around £600.

So it's down to the x2700h or a discounted x3600h. Hdmi 2.1 would be nice, but only 1 port is a bit limiting. Even if I get a PS5 I probably won't have a TV that supports 2.1 for years and I guess even then eARC should be sufficient for console audio.

The dual switchable Audyssey speaker settings sounds interesting as does the pre-amp mode.
I've minimal interest/need for 8K HDMI but the features above coupled with the DTS-X Pro, HDR10+ make the X6700 potentially in my sights. While it 'only' has 11 internal amps the extra 2 sets of speaker connections may hopefully point to fully configurable amp assignments like the X8500 coming to this one too.

Does anyone think it's likely an 8500 replacement is on it's way soon given the huge discounts available on the this model currently? Asking as I'm planning to get an 8500 next month and now having second thoughts as I can imagine my luck being that a new one is announced right after I make purchase!

Does anyone think it's likely an 8500 replacement is on it's way soon given the huge discounts available on the this model currently? Asking as I'm planning to get an 8500 next month and now having second thoughts as I can imagine my luck being that a new one is announced right after I make purchase!
Big discounts usually point to a new model coming. But will that model (X8700?) at say £3600 offer more than just an extra two internal amps than the X6700 at £2400...

The USP of the X8500 was the 13.2 ch processing but that will now be available at a much cheaper price point in the X6700. So perhaps 16ch processing in the X8700 (if one actually appears) to give it the USP compared to the rest of the model range.

Nah not exactly an update... The 8500 is supposed to just get an upgraded HDMI board (1 x 8K input + output) with an 'A' on the end of the model code. This is the case if an existing 8500 is updated, or if a new unit is purchased down the line with the board update already installed.

Surely HDMI 2.1 is a given with the 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz spec... how is that possible WITHOUT it?

For those with projectors, this is all a bit pointless given the lack of any high refresh and VRR functionality on that front... and I don't know if we'll see that change anytime soon. Would be nice though.

Big discounts usually point to a new model coming. But will that model (X8700?) at say £3600 offer more than just an extra two internal amps than the X6700 at £2400...

The USP of the X8500 was the 13.2 ch processing but that will now be available at a much cheaper price point in the X6700. So perhaps 16ch processing in the X8700 (if one actually appears) to give it the USP compared to the rest of the model range.

True but a lot of reviewers and people on this forums and the other across the pond did hear noticeable differences between the 8500 and the older 6xxx series, I believe due mainly to the two heat sinks and different internal topography and superior DACS but correct me if I'm wrong

True but a lot of reviewers and people on this forums and the other across the pond did hear noticeable differences between the 8500 and the older 6xxx series, I believe due mainly to the two heat sinks and different internal topography and superior DACS but correct me if I'm wrong
Both the X6500 and the X8500 had discrete individual amp boards hanging off the heat sink(s).
While there may be audible differences I doubt that two heat sinks vs one and four cooling fans vs two had much to do with it. The X8500 AKM AK4490 DAC vs the AK4458 in much of the rest of the Denon and Marantz range perhaps more so.

Last edited:
Surely HDMI 2.1 is a given with the 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz spec... how is that possible WITHOUT it?

I wouldn't bet on it. I've seen Samsung (for example) quoting many of HDMI 2.1's features over lower-gen ports before. If they don't say 2.1, then I'd bet it's not. And this could be important down the line.

The German version with the wrong title (Denon AVC-X3700H: Details zum 9.2 Kanal-Receiver mit HDMI 2.1 online specifically states that it's an AV amplifier with 1 HDMI 2.1 input and 2 HDMI 2.1 outputs, so I guess it really is HDMI 2.1, not just 8K/60Hz, etc.

An HDMI 2.1 switch (multiple inputs) will likely be a while yet.

If a mod is listening: please correct the news to globally remove all references to "Receiver" and replace with "Amplifier". Denon is being absolutely clear that this series has no receivers.

I realise that I'm not the target market for this news piece, but I'm puzzled. My understanding was that the job of a receiver was to possibly process and amplify the audio signal, and to pass the unprocessed video signal to the television or projector, which could then upscale the video signal if required. If the display can't do 8K resolution then all 8K processing earlier in the chain is wasted, no?

Cheers. Perfect timing for this post :) I am very interested in these, especially the 2700 (but potentially the 3700). This does seem a potential minefield of specifications though. Or very easy to misinterpret.

Nowhere on the specifications does it seem to mention HDMI 2.1, so I'm assuming there's a reason Denon avoid this.

Am I right that only the "8K" HDMI port will support VRR and other useful HDMI 2.1 features ? So if I plug in a PS5, then I cannot attach a PC via HDMI in the future or any other next gen console ?

Regarding the 2 HDMI Outs. Can I use these to 2 TV's at the same time ? No need to do any switching ? This is currently how my Yamaha Receiver works.

Denon makes no mention of the new models being 48 Gbit/s bandwidth capable either... I'm wondering if the chipset they are using is bandwidth limited, providing some of the HDMI 2.1 features but not all.

Having said that, it's an impressive feature set. I'm not going to need any 8K capabilities for years, so I won't be an early adopter (at the moment, anything beyond 4K seems completely pointless) - I know some people want higher frame rates for gaming.

I'm still more than happy with my Denon X6200W AVR, and it does everything except HDR10+, which isn't a big loss.

Regards,
James.

4500 or 4700? the only feature i want is earc working why i must use it to passthrough audio to the receiver, because i will connect my future console directly to the tv.(propably LG CX)

4500 or 4700? the only feature i want is earc working why i must use it to passthrough audio to the receiver, because i will connect my future console directly to the tv.(propably LG CX)
4500 has eARC.

"Gamers will benefit from the 8K preparedness"

ahhh bless...

Denon makes no mention of the new models being 48 Gbit/s bandwidth capable either... I'm wondering if the chipset they are using is bandwidth limited, providing some of the HDMI 2.1 features but not all.

Having said that, it's an impressive feature set. I'm not going to need any 8K capabilities for years, so I won't be an early adopter (at the moment, anything beyond 4K seems completely pointless) - I know some people want higher frame rates for gaming.

I'm still more than happy with my Denon X6200W AVR, and it does everything except HDR10+, which isn't a big loss.

Regards,
James.

Yes it's been confirmed that it will NOT be full bandwidth 48 Gbps, the same as LG has done for their 2020 TV lineup @40 Gbps.
HDMI 2.1 40 Gbps Confirmed.jpg

Last edited:
A new ‘Pre-amplifier’ mode previously only seen in the flagship AVC-X8500H, disconnects internal amplifiers when the receiver is used as an AV processor and all speakers are powered by external amplifiers. This is only available in the top three models in the X-Series.

Presumably the 3700 is one of the top 3 models? That would make it a very competitively priced AV Pre, with all of the new features.

Yes it's been confirmed that it will NOT be full bandwidth 48 Gbps, the same as LG has done for their 2020 TV lineup @40 Gbps.View attachment 1312084

From everything posted here (great info!) I find it a bit odd that Denon don't just state "HDMI 2.1" for the "8K" port on the website and all their documentation. The fact they don't still makes me think there's something fishy going on.... If it was 2.1, surely you'd just say that and everyone would know what they were getting.

There's nothing wrong with 40Gb/s. That meets the standard and very very few people are going to need that extra 8Gb/s bandwidth. Just say "2.1" on the box, the port, the website and all the documentation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom