NEWS: Denon CEOL N10 Network Music System launching

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by hodg100, Jul 31, 2018.

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Previously Mark Hodgkinson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,450
    2. CarMad

CarMad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +67
      Brand new music centre in 2018 and no DAB. Yeah I get that you can use Tunein to get all the radio stations but that doesn't help if you are more remote or your internet is down.

Last Friday working from home I listened to some DAB stations as there was no Virgin broadband in the area for 5hrs (its very rare I get it) but I couldn't do that on this.

Surely thats a big miss these days when every car has it why not home hifi...??

3. Top Dog mids

Top Dog mids

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      If you are more remote, then go and do a country pursuit,you chose to live there.
      DAB is lacking because it is dead and buried like short wave radio

4. CarMad

CarMad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +67
      Well thats great for the person that has bought somewhere that wants to 'work remotely' that has a rubbish internet connection but still good radio reception then hey...

DAB (DAB+) isn't dead anyway. Over half of all radio listening is now done digitally and the vast majority of that figure is via DAB, a tiny % is via sat and less than 10% streaming.

So for a brand new home hifi to not have DAB for me and I'm sure some others is a huge miss.

5. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +84
      Looks almost identical to the N9. Use DAB in my car radio in the house it is always internet radio, DAB is useless in our house. Have used FM but not listened to AM in years, is there a reason to?

6. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +852
      Unfortunately the BBC are not going to invest in any more DAB transmitters as they do not see it has any future.

The future of radio may well be digital, but it won't survive on DAB

7. CarMad

CarMad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +67
      Yeah I get DAB is at a cross roads and I've read that myself. I guess the next step is to see what the government does. If they decide that they are going to turn of FM in 2020 say then that might change things. Some counties have already done that back in 2017...

8. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +852
    9. bobel

bobel
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I own a CEOL N9. Waiting for reviews from a sound quality angle and improved wi-fi connectivity, just to see if an upgrade is worth.I don't really care about Alexia or Tidal...

10. Top Dog mids

Top Dog mids

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      carmad when you have finished fox hunting for the day, or doing with sheep what ever yokels do with sheep, try an internet option on a smart phone & a bluetooth speaker. Mobile phone companies offer baa-rilliant data deals too, ewe know

11. CarMad

CarMad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +67
      Top Dog mids you are barking up the wrong tree, this isn't a subject to sniff at, its something serious not just to sit and scratch yourself over.

You seem a DAB hand around this subjects, but you are right perfect to get a new device and then spend more to make it work, totally see your point. Now I'm off to get my wellies with those special holes in, ahem. :facepalm:

12. Top Dog mids

Top Dog mids

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      ***CarMad*** Seriously, what is wrong with the mobile phone reception near you, that you couldn't use that to stream your favorite radio station/s, then direct the sound to a Blue tooth speaker?
      It doesn't use that much data
      I'll be truthful, I had a Cyrus 1/2 wide Dab tuner for a couple of years along time ago with a proper external antenna, so as to give it a chance. Nothing changed, the same below FM standard stations.
      Ever since I've used a Sonos Connect. Yes a good Separate DAC helps, ideally one that reclocks a coax input

13. CarMad

CarMad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +67
      I've got a few Sonos, a Couple of Denon receivers in different rooms at the moment and HEOS speakers I'm not short of the ability to stream music across the house.

I just think that the ability to play DAB is useful at times, turn on and go and no faffing. All the cars have DAB and its great and you get a great selection of stations to choose from. Its not like we are going back to being analogue is it, if you can pick up a DAB radio for £8 I see no reason why a brand new system can't have it either.

14. Top Dog mids

Top Dog mids

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      CarMad as much as I don't begrudge you your point of view and choices.

DAB in the car is a good idea, as long as you listen to a national station as it should retune automatically when required which is good for road safety. The risk is what if you drive some where that lacks DAB transmitters, possibly the Nought taken out North of England. DAB in the car is probably a better idea than using mobile phone internet, because DAB is likely to be more user friendly

DAB for £8 is truly remarkable. I'd be interested to know which one.
      As for Music centers having DAB, I'll go down the middle and suggest that it should be an affordable option. An extremely long time ago, I had a Technics midi system, a Turn table was an option.
      I've looked it UP, FM should sound better than DAB.

Another reason I prefer streaming is there is not need for a fancy antenna that needs to have a socket near the point of use

15. CarMad

CarMad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +67
      The DAB radio was in a cabinet at our local Aldi believe it or not just a little hand held thing, FM+DAB seems crazy for the price not that I need one.

I get the dilemma and stupidly I might look at this when it comes out to just would have preferred it to have DAB, I quite fancy the Alexa integration.

I guess having had no internet all afternoon a week or so ago (No idea why) and really wouldn't want to faff connecting a dongle to my home wifi to get something working not needing to rely on the internet for everything can have its positives at times. FM it is. :)

16. kipper15

kipper15

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      I am sorely tempted to get this for my bedroom after the old Onkyo system in there gave up the ghost recently. I love the grey finish option of the main unit, reminds me of NAD stuff from back in the 80s and 90s!

I would probably partner it with different speakers though...

17. kipper15

kipper15

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Going to get this soon, and pair with Q Acoustics 3020 speakers, the first generation ones - as new i model too deep to go on the unit I will place on. Can be had for way less than the £199 RRP at the moment too as stock is sold off to make way for the newer i version.