NEWS: Denon announces AVR-X3600H 9.2 channel AV receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phil Hinton, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Andy Bassett

Andy Bassett
      Standard Member Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +116
    2. meagabyte

meagabyte

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +173
      Is this really 180w per channel - all channels driven.
      Or is that 180w 2 channels driven at 4 Ohm that drastically drops when running 5 or 9 channels.

3. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      No, that rating relates to 6 ohm 1kHz, 1% THD, 1 channel driven

You'd get 105 watts per channel 8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2ch Drive.

Denon don't give ratings for all channels driven.

4. meagabyte

meagabyte

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +173
      Thanks @dante01 and it was as expected. But with a new AVR and the way it was written i thought things may have changed. I do think reviews should note this. I know i bought my first AVR on these number and was sorely disappointed.

5. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      The article is basically a press release as opposed to an independent point of view. No one outside of Denon will have access to one yet.

It is very similar to (basically the same as) the Marantz SR6013. The benefit you get with the Denon model would be the full sized display while you'd only get HDAM with the Marantz and not with the Denon model.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    6. doshim

doshim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +46
      Are the hdmi inputs and outputs 2.1 on this denon?

7. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      No.

You'll not see any AV receiver with HDMI version 2.1 prior to next year. The receiver does however include HDMI version 2.1 associated features such as eARC.

8. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +76
      Massive upgrade on the X3500 nearer the X4500 infact with the 9 channels of amplification

9. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +76
      Picture shows 11 channels of amplification!

10. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      No, it is exactly the same as the Marantz SR6013. It has 9 channels of integral amplification, but an additional 2 channels of external amplification can be added to exploit its 11 channels of simultaneous processing.

If you want an 11 channel setup then you'd need to add your own additional 2 channels of external amplification.

All Denon have done is stick a Denon badge and fascia on the Marantz SR6013.

11. kinggo

kinggo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +142
      No, not really. For twice the price. Unless one absolutely need those 2 more channels. But in that case, 4500 is better choice. Better build, nicer fascia and DUAL LINE display. *rant on: why the hell they still insist on one line dot matrix display while LCDs are everywhere and cost nothing? rant off*
      And 4500 is cheaper ATM. At least here.

12. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      As I've said, it is basically the same as a Marantz SR6013 which currently sells for about £900. The Marantz will also come equipped with HDAM circuitry and be tuned to sound better with stereo music sources. The price suggested for the Denon makes the Marantz a much better option and will more than likely result in the X3600 dropping down to a Price below that of the Marantz pretty rapidly after it is launched?

13. kbfern

kbfern
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,099
      I was looking forward to the X3600 but at £999 it's too much for my budget as it would be used in my secondary system which is not atmos atm (an Onkyo 818 at present). If it gets down to under £650 quickly I might be interested otherwise as I want 9.2 a Marantz 6012 is a better bet albeit not quite as up to date spec wise as the X3600 but offers pretty much everything I want other than a better display porthole that the 6012 has.

14. andym81

andym81

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +138
      Think I'd rather go for the x4500 for around the same price

15. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +304
      I'm still waiting for Denon to finally delete the obsolete component I/P, and can we have the digital audio O/P socket back please. Ta.

16. Richdog

Richdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      Why is that, when LG can implement HDMI 2.1 on their new 9-series OLED's?

Seems to me like wilful withholding of features to purposefully shorten the lifespan of this generation and force people to upgrade. Very disingenuous.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    17. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      Maybe because there are no sources that require it? Why would anyone need it at this point in time? They also argue that by including eARC that they've prolonged the life of their current and some of their older products already. If a receiver has eARC and if the display is fully HDMI version 2,1 compliant then you can simply connect any HDMI version 2.1 source directly to the display via HDMI and then passthrough all audio using eARC. THere's no requirement to replace an older eARC equipped AV recever just because your TV includes HDMI version 2.1.

Do you have an 8K source equipped with HDMI version 2.1 and why does the fact that your TV has it make it a rwquirement that your AV receiver also needs it?

How many sources do you think are actually going to need this? There's never going to be 8K disc based media, it is looking increasingly unlike the TV broadcasters outside of Japan are going to adopt it any time soon and the only real contender are games consoles. Even then, you'll need an 8K compliant TV and not just HDMI version 2.1 to really get the full benefit. 8K isn't a thing and will not be for quite some time.

18. Richdog

Richdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      Because for people buying their kit new, or upgrading something older, they want to buy an AV receiver that will last them some time and stay technologically current as much as possible without needing to upgrade in another year to a new and important HDMI standard that is already available and on some popular LG OLED TV's commonly reviewed as "the best in the world" that you may want to connect to your new $1000 luxury Denon AV receiver. :D

You can say what you want about whether you feel it is yet needed or not, but the fact it that Denon (and other manufacturers) are purposefully holding it back despite knowing that it is available and could have been put on the newest range. It is classic withholding of features as long as possible to milk the userbase and ensure that the next generation of AVR's will have high adoption.

19. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      Tough. The fact is that there'll not be an HDMI version 2.1 equipped AV receiver until at least next year. That's how it is.

You don't need HDMI version 2.1 on any AV receiver to use that receiver in conjunction with a TV that has HDMI 2.1. Why is it important that the AV receiver includes it? All you need is eARC.

The likes of Denon and Yamaha aren't particularly milking anyone. Neither of them will even be introducing new top tier models this year and will be waiting until next year to replace their top end models. What makes you think that they've easy access to HDMI version 2.1 chipsets? THese are only made by a very few independent manufacturers and are in short supply.

20. Richdog

Richdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      I didn't say it was NEEDED 'at the moment' I said that if the technology is available then people should be entitled to the latest spec on new AVR's that cost $1000+, especially when there are new TV's that also have HDMI 2.1 out right now. As for the supply I am not an industry insider so cannot say with any accuracy how many chipsets Denon theoretically have access to.

I think Denon purposefully didn't include it to give people a reason to upgrade next year.

21. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      It may in fact not be easy for AV manufacturers to readily implement HDMI version 2.1 into their products. The newer HDMI chipsets required are only manufactured by a limited number pf chipset manufacturers who'd have limited ability to satify increased demand for such chipsets.

It would take the AV manufacturers some time to build up enough of these chipsets and secure supplies of such chipsets in order to be able to implement HDMI version 2.1 wholesale right the way across their output. AV receiver manufacturers do not make or manufacturer HDMI chipsets.

22. Broken Hope

Broken Hope

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +54
      Yeah that actually annoyed me moving to a Denon 3500 from a Yamaha, why on earth do Denon only have single line displays unless you buy their high end models?

23. Broken Hope

Broken Hope

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +54
      Does anyone other than LG have HDMI 2.1 capability this year? Wouldn't surprise me if LG locked in the chipset for themselves, how do you expect anyone else to support the features set?

Besides there's a limited amount of devices that would even benefit, consoles being the main ones, which you can just connect to the TV and use eARC to get the sound to the receiver.

24. Richdog

Richdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      No, and I stated that it was only LG. However, the OLED's will be very popular for enthusiasts as the 8 series was... the kind of enthusiasts likely to be looking at a mid to high-end Denon AVR.

Please show me some evidence that LG locked in the chipset for themselves.

Yeah, because HDMI 2.1 will have no benefits to anyone over the next few years... right? *raises eyebrow*

When I buy a new AVR I expect it to last at least a few years so I want the highest level of features available so that it will be useful for future game consoles and whatever else that comes along that will benefit from HDMI 2.1.

25. Coulson

Coulson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,023
      Do you know where you can find an x4500 outside of eBay?

26. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      Most if not all Denon retailers will have stocks of this receiver. It hasn't been discontinued and will not be discontinued until next yesr. It is still a current model.

27. Coulson

Coulson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,023
      Thank. Probably confusing this with the 4300 I'm looking at on eBay. I don't see that much difference between the 2 for basic Atmos/DTS-x and upmixing. Still Audyssey MT32 as well.

28. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      There's very little to differentiate models that they replace older models with each year and the DEnon models have been exceptionally similar going on from the X4200 model released in 2015 right up until the current X4500. They're more likely to be features missing that you may actually want or need the further back you go though.

You'd probably will not now be able to source a new X4300 or X4400 model this long after they've been discontinued.

29. Coulson

Coulson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,023
      Yeah that's why I'm looking around the Bay. Not much there either. I love my receiver but I'm just sniffing around to see if I could somehow acquire and Atmos .4 receiver rather than my current .2. The cheapest I've seen is the Pioneer but from what little I have read I don't think I would be happy with the room correction.

30. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249

You missed out on the deals that were available with the now discontinued Marantz SR6012. There's this refurbished model on eBay though:
      Marantz SR6012 9.2ch 4k Atmos(.2/.4) Bluetooth/WiFi 8In/3Out(HDMI) AV Receiver | eBay

Better still, there's this open box unit available from Peter Tyson for even less:
      Open Box Marantz SR6012 AV Receiver - Black - Ref: 624677

Peter Tyson also have a few ex demo and oprn box SR7012s available:
      Search results for: 'sr7012'

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019