NEWS: Denon and Marantz issue hardware fix for AVR 4K/120 and 8K issue

I'm glad I returned my X3700H. My old Onkyo is set-up again and working flawlessly, no issues with HDMI switching and doesn't sound as cold and clinical as the Denon.

appreciate the heads up but my god ! you have got to be kidding me ! what a klutzy work around solution !

shouldn't they just fix it in the first place ? sounds stupid to me !

appreciate the heads up but my god ! you have got to be kidding me ! what a klutzy work around solution !

shouldn't they just fix it in the first place ? sounds stupid to me !
Well, considering the issue only affects gamers, isn't it reasonable to assume this will add lag?

Just thinking aloud. But, being a huge company, I'm certain Sound United checked this prior to release:rolleyes:.

Looks like I'll be waiting for Denon's 2021 models then
agree ! this has now gone from bad to worse ! :D

doesnt help to be a bleeding edger i dont think...especially when they bung out half baked stuff and they try work around it rather than fixing the actual issue :D

I hope folk return their devices as "not fit for purpose"

Are these models still being sold and if so have they fixed the issue or will they be sending out this 'workaround' box alongside it. Waiting till the next models come out before i purchase but not read anywhere that has clarified this. Also I guess if you bought from RS i dont think they would have an issue refunding/swapping. I had a 5 year old Samsung tv that they happily part exchanged for a 65 cx without any issue.

i don't have any of affected models nor do I really need HDMi 2.1 but.......
If they can't output or passthrough signals with certain specs on higher end then how does this work? By converting signals to something lower? If so, how is that a fix?

i don't have any of affected models nor do I really need HDMi 2.1 but.......
If they can't output or passthrough signals with certain specs on higher end then how does this work? By converting signals to something lower? If so, how is that a fix?
If it does anything to the signal, it is adding lag.

Talk about put a plaster an on axe wound.

What issue did you have with the HDMI switching?
I've covered it extensively in other posts but, in summary, if the unit switched inputs, it would either take an age to do so, there would possibly be a blank screen once switched (this happened often) and on one occasion the X3700H changed the label on every input to read 'PlayStation 5' and the only way to get everything re-labelled was to reset the receiver. I couldn't do it manually.

I agree with others here. I'm in the market for either the Denon 8500, but after the time this model has been out it's replacement, or probably more so, the Marantz 8015. But I will wait for the latest models (including the Marantz) coming out from these companies with the "fix" sorted in situ out of the box even though i'm not a gamer.... Unless those present models from dealers are heavily discounted.

My main reason for replacing is to garner the latest HDMI protocols as well as Dolby Atmos / DTS:X capability as my (as in new condition and very much loved) Denon AVCA11XV cannot be upgraded.

My main reason for replacing is to garner the latest HDMI protocols as well as Dolby Atmos / DTS:X capability as my (as in new condition and very much loved) Denon AVCA11XV cannot be upgraded.
it would make more sense to get a marantz 8012... plus gaming machine direct to display and earc full bandwidth audio back to 8012 ... just same as earc audio from TV and apps within...

I'll take it.... hate disconnecting everything and then sending in the whole thing especially since I bought it from another country. lol Thankfully it's only the X2700H.

it would make more sense to get a marantz 8012... plus gaming machine direct to display and earc full bandwidth audio back to 8012 ... just same as earc audio from TV and apps within...
The 8015 got better reviews than the outgoing 8012 on several points and on reliable home cinema sites including our very own avforums. I have my overhead speakers in place (two pairs of Kef Q50a's) but i'm in no rush at the moment. So much so that I can wait for (eventually) any price reductions on the 8015 which usually happens on hi-fi and AV equipment as time goes by.

My present AV amp works faultlessly, it's just a matter of (as I said above) garnering the latest HDMI protocols and Dolby Atmos / DTS:X capability, I can wait. 🤫 :)

Last edited:
I'll take it.... hate disconnecting everything and then sending in the whole thing especially since I bought it from another country. lol Thankfully it's only the X2700H.
Same here, I'm unlikely to get a console but I can see why other owners would be a bit annoyed at the whole mess. Obviously down to corner cutting and a lack of QC.

So what does it actually do then? Does anybody know?
I thought PS5 users were able to use 4k/120hz just fine because PS5 uses chroma compression? So is this just converting 444 to 422 to reduce bandwidth?

I don't think I'll bother thanks. Don't game, and never been the slightest bit inconvenienced by the 2.1 issue.

I think current owners maybe forgetting (or maybe just dont care) that although this may not be an issue for you, if you decide to sell in the future there maybe buyers who will need new box. I'd be looking to get one even if not likely to use it, at least you have the option to sell it with this this additional box rather than not.

I think current owners maybe forgetting (or maybe just dont care) that although this may not be an issue for you, if you decide to sell in the future there maybe buyers who will need new box. I'd be looking to get one even if not likely to use it, at least you have the option to sell it with this this additional box rather than not.
Exactly what I'll be doing.

I'll be getting the adapter but won't be using it. I've connected my PS5 direct to the 8K HDMI for 4k/120 and just use the GAME HDMI for my Series X at 4k/60.

as a free device, i would heartedly suggest get it... i can tell you this much with all hardware soft ware updates denon/marantz offers ... those that dont apply them... pay for it down the track in lower resale... these things are always only offered for a set time...ie its not forever and a day...dont get it now unlikely be able to get it down the track...why hurt your resale for something thats freely available...

this is a very good point... i hope folks take heed...

Fair point.

More rack or shelf room taken up, cable/power management.
It's not exactly a dongle as some have described online, at least in box size.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom