NEWS: Denon and Marantz issue hardware fix for AVR 4K/120 and 8K issue

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Ok it's a solution ...but jeez...I'd have rather waited for a replacement internal chip. And offer this box solution to those that don't want to send there amp back

THX1138UK

appreciate the heads up but my god ! you have got to be kidding me ! what a klutzy work around solution !

shouldn't they just fix it in the first place ? sounds stupid to me !

It seems to be a reasonably solution, provided at no cost to the customer. At least Denon and Marantz have acknowledged the issue and provided a way of mitigating it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing... The only fix would be to use a chip that isn't inherently affected by the problem. This is an industry wide issue affecting multiple AVR manufacturers.

If a customer wasn't happy with the mitigation, then the other option is to return an affected unit to the seller on the grounds that it's not fit for purpose - but if the seller dug their heals in, that could be difficult. In the eyes of the law, I think the above would be seen as an acceptable repair. Companies are not obligated to give full refunds if they can show they have taken reasonable steps to help the customer and fix the problem.

1. "Currently, as the law stands in the UK, sellers are required to provide consumers with goods that are as described, fit for purpose, and of satisfactory quality. If the trade description and the advertisement do not match, then you may be entitled to a refund or compensation".

2. "If something's gone wrong with an item you've bought, you may be entitled to a refund, repair or replacement. You'll have legal rights if the item you bought is broken or damaged ('not of satisfactory quality')".

Regards,
James.

Last edited:

Pulse1

Ok it's a solution ...but jeez...I'd have rather waited for a replacement internal chip. And offer this box solution to those that don't want to send there amp back
I totally agree with you, but unfortunately companies will always offer the cheapest most hassle free option for them, and they have found a fix so they have now resolved the problem.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd effectively have to wait at least another 12 months for replacement chipsets that don't have this issue. There's also the fact that the chipset onboard the effected AV receivers isn't exactly easy to access or replace. Replacing it would be a major task, costing Denon a considerable amount of money and time to execute. They can churn out the adaptors on a production line and have the task at hand done and dusted within months, if not weeks.

alebonau

1. "Currently, as the law stands in the UK, sellers are required to provide consumers with goods that are as described, fit for purpose, and of satisfactory quality. If the trade description and the advertisement do not match, then you may be entitled to a refund or compensation".
hi, i dont live in the uk... but i doubt there is any trade description or advertisement that made clear to folk they needed an add on box that does a conversion for the said device to work as advertised...

2. "If something's gone wrong with an item you've bought, you may be entitled to a refund, repair or replacement. You'll have legal rights if the item you bought is broken or damaged ('not of satisfactory quality')".
agan i dont live in the uk...but clearly this isnt a case of something gone wrong.. it is just been wrong and now there is a work around ...with add on device...

Bottlebrush

It comes down to individual consumers versus a large corporation. Most people won't fight it if there is a workaround. They win the battle but lose the war due to a damaged brand image. I'd be a lot more upset if I'd spent thousands on the high end rather than X2700H I have.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest you'd lose any claim of miiselling. They didn't purposefully mislead anyone, they admitted and acknowledged responsibility and have done all that they can do to rectify the issue. If ou don't like it, talk to your retailer about returning the product. Why have you hung onto it for so long anyway if so disatified?

This isn't to say that the fact Sound United (and for that matter Yamaha) were not negligent regarding the testing of their products prior to launch and then selling those products to the public. They didn't even appear to have done any beta testing and the multitude of other issues associated with the new models stand witness to this. Did anyone really need a new AV receiver and why continually push out new products every 12 months that aren't actually fully operational?

But then again, why do you all keep buying them and why aren't you returning them if not functional?

Last edited:

Bottlebrush

I'd suggest you'd lose any claim of miiselling. They didn't purposefully mislead anyone, they admitted and acknowledged responsibility and have done all that they can do to rectify the issue. If ou don't like it, talk to your retailer about returning the product. Why have you hung onto it for so long anyway if so disatified?

This isn't to say that the fact Sound UNited and for that matter Yamaha were negligent regarding the tsting og their products prior to launching and then selling them to the public. They don't even appear to have beta tested them and the multitude of other issues associated with the new models stands witness to this. Did anyone really need a new AV receiver and why continually push out new products every 12 moinths that aren't actually fully operational?

But then again, why do you all keep buying them and why aren't you returning them if not functional?
That is assuming we had one to start with. This is the first AVR I've owned. I bought it for the more modern standards and 8K and gaming was just an extra I wasn't expecting to use. So far the other functions seem to work ok. Others may have the issue of no AVR at all if they return it.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Just shows HDMI 2.1 was rushed to please the niche crowd.

nictry

Distinguished Member
I have a Denon X4700, this fix is awful.. What am I supposed to do.

Added to the dialog bleed into surround speakers I am wondering the same!

gambit6

Standard Member
It seems to be a reasonably solution, provided at no cost to the customer. At least Denon and Marantz have acknowledged the issue and provided a way of mitigating it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing... The only fix would be to use a chip that isn't inherently affected by the problem. This is an industry wide issue affecting multiple AVR manufacturers.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing ?! How about testing your AVRs before unleashing them upon the public ?!

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Added to the dialog bleed into surround speakers I am wondering the same!

Apologies. Is this for real? If yes, is it still an issue? I was planning to buy Denon 3700 few months down the line. Any other AVRs out there without faulty HDMI 2.1 chipset?:(

Hindsight is a wonderful thing ?! How about testing your AVRs before unleashing them upon the public ?!
Consumers have long been guinea pigs for new tech, and not just in AV. Car manufacturers have done the same for years, refining their models after customer feedback.

Thing is, Denon do not manufacture these chips, they are reliant on a third party supplier to provide them.

Apologies. Is this for real? If yes, is it still an issue? I was planning to buy Denon 3700 few months down the line. Any other AVRs out there without faulty HDMI 2.1 chipset?:(
It appears to be one of those issues that some owners claim to exist, but others do not.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
It appears to be one of those issues that some owners claim to exist, but others do not.

Thanks mate. I am not a gamer but I would like the equipment to be free of basic issues.

Thanks mate. I am not a gamer but I would like the equipment to be free of basic issues.
Of course. All I can say is that for myself, I found that this dialogue bleed was easily cured by not using Dynamic EQ. Others claim that this is not a fix for them.

Joe C

I don’t have it on my 4700 - but also don’t have Dynamic EQ on.

I’m still not a massive fan of it though - replaced a Pioneer SC-LX702 which sounded much better, but lacked eARC, which I needed at the time

MosesMagnum

Standard Member
I'll be discussing my options with RS tomorrow and if need be with Trading Standards. I wasn't aware of the problem at the point of purchase, I'm pretty sure RS were, they didn't inform me of the problem.

Once I was aware of it I was assured a fix would be coming, I wasn't expecting another box, another socket needed and having to shift stuff around to accommodate the new box.

At the point retailers continued selling knowing the units had a manufacturing fault, and weren't making buyers aware of it they are liable as far as I can see. If they had made buyers aware it's a different story, I wasn't.

I don't want another box, I bought an all-in-one unit so I could have less cables, not so I could have more forced on me.

I'd suggest people talk to their retailers and manufacturers about returning units, they have a fix but don't want to bear the cost of returns and repairs. If they didn't want that, they should have stopped sales of units when they were aware of the problem. My unit certainly didn't come with anything letting me know there was a manufacturing fault.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Because its online forums..we like to moan..and even if they fix it...we like to moan even more!!!

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
There will be new receivers introduced on summer. Yamaha Aventage top three models coming around August (German source) as my source in EU last said June and possibly with new chip as these models supposed to come end of last year already so hopefully they come out without the need of adapter.

Also Pioneer and Onkyo with Dirac Live are introducing new models June - August which if i saw correct is using different HDMI chipset so perhaps no 2.1 bug.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Here's a picture of the actual SPK618 adaptor:

image_large2.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Sony A90J & A80J OLED and X90J & X95J BRAVIA XR TV Line-up & Features: Sony Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony launches larger screen sizes for latest Bravia XR TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021