NEWS: Denon and Marantz introduce 8K HDMI switcher

It'd be nice if this was the solution posted out to 2020 D&M owners instead of the single HDMI input box.
That was my first thought as an owner of the first batch Marantz 7015. A much better solution ? I'm going to contact them and see if I can get one

I have to admit that when I first heard about this some time back that I thought it was a hoax. Not too sure as to why Sound UNited would want to make such a device. Maybe they got scared by Yamaha;s inclusion of more than one 8K compliant input, but they themselves do keep highlighting that the lower tier Yamaha models launched last year are limited to just 24Gbps.

By the way, the switych is a paid option and not free. Acording to some of the articles I've read, it will cost you about £180. No, you cannot get one for free just because your model is one of those effected by the HDMI bug. THis would only qualify you to get the adaptor for free and not this switch.

I wonder has anyone checked how much lag is introduced by taking the nextgen consoles through these AVRs and on to the display never mind adding a switcher into the chain as well although it would be nice to know if the switcher is lag free as well.

Hdmi bug? Id like the hdmi to work full stop! I bet mine doesn’t get upgraded whilst its back at marantz!

Denon and Marantz are not fitting new HDMI boards or replacing the HDMI chipsets on any of the effected models. No, your AV receiver will not be returned inclusive of a new HDMI board. You'd still need the adaptor if you've an effected model built prior to May this year. Models built after this do include revised HDMI boards inclusive of HDMI chipsets devoid of the "bug". These revised boards are only being installed at the manufacturering plants on new receivers and are not available for models that already have the effected chipset installed.

Last edited:
Anyone remember when we used to get properly engineered and finished products?
We all seem to be beta testers for crappy firmware code and substandard hardware these days.
The race to the bottom (with regards to costs) has never been so congested.

Anyone remember when we used to get properly engineered and finished products?

I remember rickets, scurvy and scarlet fever?

You can get well engineered producrs, but you'll have to pay for them. The issue is that no one wants to pay what it actually costs to make such goods. The price brackets that many AV receivers fit into actually means that something has to be omitted in order for those products to still fit into those brackets. The actual cost of materials is rising and not decreasing.

If you want brass feet anfd double lined casework then you can have it, but you'll have to pay for it.

Hdmi bug? Id like the hdmi to work full stop! I bet mine doesn’t get upgraded whilst its back at marantz!
hi TM, your marantz 8805 is totally eligible for the A upgrade...ie giving your unit hdmi 2.1 capability. you do have to pay for it though..

this was always the plan from day one ? the A upgrade like provided for the av8802 was the same ? the upgrade is not free :)

my unit is booked in to get done in nov when cards come in... the cards are very much in short supply and on a needs basis...ie they only order them if folk ask...

It'd be nice if this was the solution posted out to 2020 D&M owners instead of the single HDMI input box.
hi, i suspect some confusion here.

the original dongle box was to sort out the bug they had in the original board...

this thing here is jsut a 3 way switcher ...that switches via cec or Ir...

re the original dongle fix.. if you dont want the dongle or dont like the dongle solution.. simply apply appropriate force at necessary pressure point and they will yield ... matter of demanding is all thats necessary.. ie ... i dont want a dongle solution... just fix the board inside the machine ....

you wont still get 3 ports... as that was never the design of the units and this box here is to expand that one port to 3 :)

hi TM, your marantz 8805 is totally eligible for the A upgrade...ie giving your unit hdmi 2.1 capability. you do have to pay for it though..

this was always the plan from day one ? the A upgrade like provided for the av8802 was the same ? the upgrade is not free :)

my unit is booked in to get done in nov when cards come in... the cards are very much in short supply and on a needs basis...ie they only order them if folk ask...
I know i wont be paying for it. Im going to get rid for a 4k pj, wont be able to hear anything but hey ho

I read this headline as "Denon and Marantz still refuse to release AVRs with multiple HDMI 2.1 inputs"

They will, but onboard future models that will replace the current models. They aren't going to release new models now, The reason the first gen models only have one input is down to cost. If they had included more than one input on the receivers then the cost of the associated chipset would have been higher. Higher component costs means higher retail prices. The fact is that most people don't actually need 8K or 4K 120Hz passthrough so why alienate them with higher prices in order to appease a minority?

Last edited:
I read this headline as "Denon and Marantz still refuse to release AVRs with multiple HDMI 2.1 inputs"

hi, at this point they have done a lot better than a heck of a lot of brands ...whcih have not even tried to do nuthin :D

better to have tried and failed than not tried at all. to credit of denon and marantz they actually have got to a point of a fully working solution for hdmi 2.1 whcih cant be said for a lot of brands...

onkyo/pioneer i believe only other brand with something working and its only just come out.

yamaha is other one on the promise scheme still and given up on other lower rungs thats going to be a cop out stuck on 25 gbps solution...

I know i wont be paying for it. Im going to get rid for a 4k pj, wont be able to hear anything but hey ho

thats totally your choice TM. am quite happy with my 4k projector and only adding the board to my marantz to run to an x box series X to our new sony TV which i'll be able to do once marantz is done... in the interim i can manage too with earc off the sony... so no real rush either :)

hdmi 2.1 is not really needed in AVRs or av processors ... as long as have earc on your TV :) even if dont have earc its jsut a matter of using something like the earc sharc which i could have used if wanted to with the marantz av8802a i had prior ...

few ways to do this ... if not needing hdmi 2.1 chip set in the avr/processor :)

hi, at this point they have done a lot better than a heck of a lot of brands ...
Hang on a mo, Sound United tried to rush their implementation of HDMI 2.1 out of the door and look what happened.

I think those that have waited have done what both Denon and Yamaha should have.

Hang on a mo, Sound United tried to rush their implementation of HDMI 2.1 out of the door and look what happened.
this is all OLD history now, cant turn back the clock. but reality is sound united do have a working solution RIGHT NOW, that is what i am talking about right now.

yes its only one port for 4k 120/8k but all ports actually support the hdmi 2.1 feature set and it all actually works as they originally advertised.

if people dont want the dongle solution for pre may manufactured units already sold... you jsut put appropriate pressure back as suggested.

the A flagships are getting their updates as was always planned and will do as advertised.

i dont understand the grief being shared on this switcher box. it is jsut simply to expand the one port that the units were always going to deliver.

for some folk even one port is enough... for me it is ... xbox series x is all i plan to have with hdmi 2.1 and i wont be getting a switcher to expand to 3 ...but for others who plan an x box, plus ps5 plus pc it might be something useful ... thats what this box is for.

so not really sure what all the venting grief is for

this is all OLD history now, cant turn back the clock. but reality is sound united do have a working solution RIGHT NOW, that is what i am talking about right now.

yes its only one port for 4k 120/8k but all ports actually support the hdmi 2.1 feature set and it all actually works as they originally advertised.

if people dont want the dongle solution for pre may manufactured units already sold... you jsut put appropriate pressure back as suggested.

the A flagships are getting their updates as was always planned and will do as advertised.

i dont understand the grief being shared on this switcher box. it is jsut simply to expand the one port that the units were always going to deliver.

for some folk even one port is enough... for me it is ... xbox series x is all i plan to have with hdmi 2.1 and i wont be getting a switcher to expand to 3 ...but for others who plan an x box, plus ps5 plus pc it might be something useful ... thats what this box is for.

so not really sure what all the venting grief is for
I was just ranting at a flagship having to go back tbh. Thats just my issue…

£180 for an HDMI switch?

So why buy this and not await someone in China saturating eBay with similar devices sometime in the not so distant future? Existing 3 port HDMI switches cost less than a tenth of what Sound United are asking.

Sound United are launching a display unit in which to keep all your additional boxes in :hiya:

It costs £8K, but it does have cast iron feet and the drawers are lined with chocolate.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom