NEWS: Denon and Marantz AVRs made after May 2021 are HDMI 2.1 bug free

I have a 6700 bought last Winter. Do I have any rights to request a replacement model which DOES have the fix, under warranty?

I have a 6700 bought last Winter. Do I have any rights to request a replacement model which DOES have the fix, under warranty?

I'd ask Denon if they replace the board with the DAC's AKM on yours

When it became apparent in late 2021 that the initial rollout of HDMI 2.1 supporting AV devices by a number of high profile manufacturers was badly affected by a hardware bug in the associated chipset, the industry had to scramble to get workarounds and fixes in place.

You mean 2020 right?

Great deals on the 4700!!!
Screenshot_20210816-142640_Samsung Internet.jpg

When it became apparent in late 2021 that the initial rollout of HDMI 2.1 supporting AV devices by a number of high profile manufacturers was badly affected by a hardware bug in the associated chipset, the industry had to scramble to get workarounds and fixes in place.

You mean 2020 right?
Hi stblob, I do indeed. Thanks for the spot - now corrected.

Unfortunately they're bundling lower quality DAC's with the updated fixed HDMI 2.1

Whilst, on paper, the DACs themselves "aren't as good" I don't believe there has been a comparison test yet, and given @Thatsnotmynaim comments down a bit in the link below the DACs are not the only factor that could affect this:

So, maybe it's something we can't comment on yet?

Unfortunately they're bundling lower quality DAC's with the updated fixed HDMI 2.1

In a double blind test you'd never be able to hear the difference, so does it really matter?

Of course how the thing sounds is very important :)

But maybe the extra point here is that when the AKM4458s were introduced, there were many adverts similar to this one for the AVR-X4200:

1629123511163.png

Funnily enough, there is nothing I can see on the Denon website saying "oh by the way, we're not using those shiny new DACs that we sang about in 2015" 🤣

Due to the fire that burnt down the factory nobody is using AKM DACs at the moment. Whether anyone can tell the difference between DACs is a constant topic of debate! I do think it should be made more prominent though (along with the explanation why).

As an early adopter of the 7015...this hacks me off. Why should I have to use an external solution. When the same unit 9 months later has an internal solution which is what I wanted not more boxes. Might give my Av retailer a ring about this.bloody annoying

@fordster @Dobbyisfree @Hixs
of course DAC matter...they have been selling a product for 8 months with a sound quality and certain "reliability"...that products gets very good reviews..and BAM denon decides to get another chipset that sounds different....does not tell anyone about it (except on DENON japan site...) and does not send review samples to the press ?!!

The V2 DENONs are NOT the SAME as V1 DENONs that is a fact !

the new DAC's are lower grade Burrbrown and older ones compared to the ex AKM! these Burrbrown if i am not mistaking are used by old low grade yamahas (RX-v300/400/500 et v600 series !!!)

so no that is NOT GOOD news !
@Andy Bassett should update this article with this critical info !!! most people are willing to get the hdmi bug version as it has the superior AKM !!!!!

of course DAC matter...they have been selling a product for 8 months with a sound quality and certain "reliability"...that products gets very good reviews..and BAM denon decides to get another chipset that sounds different....does not tell anyone about it (except on DENON japan site...) and does not send review samples to the press ?!!

the new DAC's are lower grade Burrbrown and older ones compared to the ex AKM! these Burrbrown if i am not mistaking are used by old low grade yamahas (RX-v300/400/500 et v600 series !!!)

@Andy Bassett should update this article with this critical info !!! most people are willing to get the hdmi bug version as it has the superior AKM !!!!!

I've requested a comment from Sound United regarding the change in DACs which, as has been pointed out, is on the back of supply issues following the factory fire some months ago. Once I've received a statement, I'll update the news piece.

Last edited:
Does the lower grade DAC affect the 2700h or am I good to try and swap my defective hdmi 2.1 model?

Does the lower grade DAC affect the 2700h or am I good to try and swap my defective hdmi 2.1 model?

All x700 models are affected to varying degrees. It seems the higher up the model chain you go the worse it gets.

Obviously can’t comment for your individual setup - but unless you’re running seriously high end gear and have an audiophile ear, you’re unlikely to notice anything

Are we sure the serial number guide is correct. I had a X2700H on back order since june and it arrived last week. Its serial number is ********17138 so maybe they added an extra 0 to the example?

Are we sure the serial number guide is correct. I had a X2700H on back order since june and it arrived last week. Its serial number is ********17138 so maybe they added an extra 0 to the example?
The quoted serial number is a direct cut and paste from the email received from Sound United's PR company so should be correct.
"This applies to models that end with serial numbers from 70001 onwards".

try and register your amp for the spk618 adaptor box, if you have the new version of the amp it wont let you order the box, it will tell you that you are setup for 4k (or somethng like that), if its the old version of the amp you will get to order the box

I never said they didn’t matter I said plenty of people debate how much difference they make. In objectivist circles the prevailing view is that all modern DACs easily achieve red book standard so are effectively transparent. Most also achieve transparency with hi-res too. Other people will argue that the implementation is more important than just putting in the DAC with the best specs.
As for me, I’m sitting on the fence!

Sound United has responded to a request for a statement about the current situation regarding AKM DACs. Please see the news story, which has now had this information added.

nice update there ! we will have to trust their word on this...sound quality of V2 DENONs will be the same as V1 from 2020...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom