NEWS: Deezer launches 360 Reality Audio app

Jokerr

Interesting if Artists will record fresh in 360 or will their stereo music be converted to 360.

Eddy555

Distinguished Member
OK, so I'm impressed with the sense of space it creates around you. Using the Sony WH-1000XM3s on my Android phone you setup the 360 sound by taking some photos of your ears which it guides you though very simply. Then you optimise the app and away you go sampling some 360 sounds. The initial demo of stereo vs 360 does indeed sound more like the sounds are spaced out around your head. Stereo sounded a bit flat in comparison.
There's a demo playlist of a variety of music to try, It kicked off with Marvin Gaye which sounded pretty great, and there's a real mix of artists available (Aerosmith, Ben Folds, Bill Withers, Bill Joel, Britney, Herbie Hancock, Incubus, James Taylor, Miles Davis, Santana to name the a few of the ones I know).
Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine sounded lovely. The live Earth Wind and Fire live track sounded like you were in the crowd. Currently trying the Britney Spears - In The Zone album, and it's impressive how spaced out the sound is around you. It gives a good impression of being in the recording studio.
Long term I'm not sure if there's going to be enough content for me to keep ponying up £20 a month, but it's pretty cool for now.
I'd be very interested to hear @Ed Selley 's take on it.

crashcris

OK, so I'm impressed with the sense of space it creates around you. Using the Sony WH-1000XM3s on my Android phone you setup the 360 sound by taking some photos of your ears which it guides you though very simply. Then you optimise the app and away you go sampling some 360 sounds. The initial demo of stereo vs 360 does indeed sound more like the sounds are spaced out around your head. Stereo sounded a bit flat in comparison.
There's a demo playlist of a variety of music to try, It kicked off with Marvin Gaye which sounded pretty great, and there's a real mix of artists available (Aerosmith, Ben Folds, Bill Withers, Bill Joel, Britney, Herbie Hancock, Incubus, James Taylor, Miles Davis, Santana to name the a few of the ones I know).
Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine sounded lovely. The live Earth Wind and Fire live track sounded like you were in the crowd. Currently trying the Britney Spears - In The Zone album, and it's impressive how spaced out the sound is around you. It gives a good impression of being in the recording studio.
Long term I'm not sure if there's going to be enough content for me to keep ponying up £20 a month, but it's pretty cool for now.
I'd be very interested to hear @Ed Selley 's take on it.
It seems to me that the music they're offering is the music that's been released in 5.1 previously, which is great but there just isn't that much out there, the market was never really exploited, and died a death due to people preferring to listen to music on their phones rather than in the sweet spot in their living room. This could kick start the surround sound revolution back to life. But they're really going to have to put a hell of a lot of investment into remixing old records and recording new records in this new format because right now there's just so little on offer, and even less that I'd be interested in and I've quite a broad taste in music. I really hope that new albums are released in physical format too.

Eddy555

Distinguished Member
It's a nice bonus on top of the Deezer HiFi subscription - a shame it's in it's own app though.

Long term I don't see myself moving away from Spotify which is setup and integrated with pretty much all my possible listening points and I've a huge amount of setup playlists in Spotify so it knows my tastes very well.

flyboyovyick

Standard Member
I've just tried this on the TIDAL app and it's just worse than the regular song. I only needed to hear Sexual Healing.

Maybe on really bad headphones or something with a very narrow sound stage it would improve things but honestly it sounded like speakers in a room with a bit of echo

Eddy555

Distinguished Member
I've done some back to back with the 360 app and the Deezer standard app this morning.
  • Marvin Gaye - Sexual Healing
  • Santana - Waiting
  • Herbie Hancock - Chameleon
The 360 versions seem to lose all the bass and the vocals can sound processed - almost like being heard through a telephone. It doesn't help that the 360 volume level appears to be lower than the stereo version. So as impressive as it is that they make the sound space out, the actual sound quality is killed by the processing.
It's a no from me.

I wonder if it's any better on Amazon HD or Tidal?

crashcris

I did a back to back with Toxic and the 360 version sounds a bit over processed and it loses the drive and impact that the stereo version had. It wouldn't be my preferred way to listen to it.
Going to try some other songs tomorrow.
I've got the Britney In The Zone DVD-A and the mix is quite spectacular on my 5.1 system.
The BBC have been doing R&D on a similar system called Binaural recordings for the past couple of yers, I can't say I was overly impressed with the results. Unfortunately I can't find any example of the BBC system to post

Top Bottom