NEWS: DALI introduces the OBERON C active speaker series

Paul7777x

The wall mounted Oberons will make a mighty tidy and impressive home cinema choice. And a real hifi option for small rooms.

Actives are going to take over.

Turlough

I wonder if these could be used as wireless rears? Looks like you could but not sure about the delay and if a receiver would work rather than an processor/pre-amp.

ian-500

I prefer the look of these:

barnitto

The wall mounted Oberons will make a mighty tidy and impressive home cinema choice. And a real hifi option for small rooms.

Actives are going to take over.
I wonder if these could be used as wireless rears? Looks like you could but not sure about the delay and if a receiver would work rather than an processor/pre-amp.

I don’t get it, they and other active speakers are not completely wireless. They still require wires and specifically power cables. Surely power cables are more cumbersome than good old speaker cable? I get that in some cases there maybe sonic benefits, but definitely not easier to install.

ian-500

I guess you have to way up the sonic benefits against convenience....

Paul7777x

I don’t get it, they and other active speakers are not completely wireless. They still require wires and specifically power cables. Surely power cables are more cumbersome than good old speaker cable? I get that in some cases there maybe sonic benefits, but definitely not easier to install.

I mentioned the wall mounting as useful because they’re are very few wall mounted active speakers about. And wall mounting is a tidy solution.

As for power cables or speaker cable... the wall has to be chased either way do there’s no difference except the chasing would need to be wider if the owner decided to run interconnect cables to the speaker as well.

Tony212

The key benefit of active speakers is not in reducing the amount of wires, although that helps. It's in eradicating one of the main problems with HiFi, which is matching speakers and amps.

HiFi enthusiasts won't see that as a problem of course, and will spend a lot of time and money on it, but those of us like me who are audio enthusiasts and audiophiles, and want the best possible sound without the associated risk of mismatched components, nor who have the time, money or inclination to be a HiFi hobbyist, active speakers are ideal.

You know that the best possible amps for the speakers are already installed, and the sound characteristic established. If that sound is not to the person's liking, another active speaker can be found that will be.

Professional studios use active speakers for monitoring and mixing because the sound characteristic for a particular speaker is fixed and predetermined, so it acts as a reference point when assessing the mix.

I agree that actives are going to take over for the majority of users, although there will always be a market for separate amps and passive speakers for those who have the time and money to indulge at that level.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom