NEWS: Coronavirus: YouTube joins Netflix in reducing streaming quality

I'm reading this a switching the playback to default to SD rather than Auto picking HD or 4K according to our particular broadband line speeds. SD only would seem quite drastic if no actual problems are occurring yet.

Utter scam. Even with the increased daytime demand the providers have said they are still half of what they normally experience during peak time evening capacity anyway. This is just money saving tactics and virtue signalling.

Yeah agree with the above. This is not an issue Youtube's end at all. All about the end user demand. Most people wont even think about the quality setting. Manually change it to 1080p and you are all good.

What a load of garbage this latest development is. There are no issues with broadband infrastructure and the providers can easily scale up backhaul capacity. I'm so glad I didn't dump my physical blu ray collection. Let's hope bit rates return to their proper levels soon (or even increase) - otherwise I won't be using the services.

I wouldn't spot it on Netflix anyway. It is so bloody dark. I haven't seen a good 4K stream on Amazon yet. Hunters looks awful.

Edit: I may have to look at the settings on my TeeVee...

What a shoddy excuse, more working from home = less internet use at work.
Netflix has jumped the gun after a call from a publicity seeking snowflake 'Eurocrat'

I guess we will have to read The eyes of darkness then. Apparently it makes for some very interesting reading.
When and after this thingy goes away I will be alot careful with my money. I had Netflix in my sights for a while now with their price increases and subpar quality.

Good, because this means that when I select 480p, then it won't suffer from like 720p/1080p/4K.

1st world problems I know, but this is 100% pathetic.

Nothing more than appealing to the EU to gain favour. most major ISP's have said they are way WAY under the limit. Think BT have already said they have double the headroom left at the peak usage so far. Add that the UK is not exactly leading the broadband world, I can only imagine the rest of the EU is in even better situation.

I mean ONE phone call from an EU MP glory hunter. Crazy and as I said, conforming to do this is nothing but scratching the EU's back and to save money.

I've just been on to Sky and dumped Netflix, Sports and Movies. The rest of Sky may not be far behind as they rely on on-demand for a lot of content. I only wanted the Ultra HD stuff anyway. So, so pleased I have my disc collection. Just when I thought things were going online, things like this happen to remind you that things like broadband provision are not a given. As for the EU, I voted to Remain. Now, I cannot wait to get out. There's no broadband capacity issue. Even if there was, going back to physical media will save capacity.

Last edited:
I've just been on to Sky and dumped Netflix, Sports and Movies. The rest of Sky may not be far behind as they rely on on-demand for a lot of content. I only wanted the Ultra HD stuff anyway. So, so pleased I have my disc collection. Just when I thought things were going online, things like this happen to remind you that things like broadband provision are not a given. As for the EU, I voted to Remain. Now, I cannot wait to get out. There's no broadband capacity issue. Even if there was, going back to physical media will save capacity.

Yep, this is the nonsense from the EU that I have never liked. No need for it.

I wouldn't spot it on Netflix anyway. It is so bloody dark. I haven't seen a good 4K stream on Amazon yet. Hunters looks awful.

Edit: I may have to look at the settings on my TeeVee...
LOL - The Expanse looks fantastic in 4K on Amazon Prime. We have the first three seasons on iTunes and though they look great on the ATV, when instead we stream the Amazon Prime versions, the uptick is very noticeable.

Yep, I'd definitely check your TV settings! :)

1st world problems I know, but this is 100% pathetic.

Nothing more than appealing to the EU to gain favour. most major ISP's have said they are way WAY under the limit. Think BT have already said they have double the headroom left at the peak usage so far. Add that the UK is not exactly leading the broadband world, I can only imagine the rest of the EU is in even better situation.

I mean ONE phone call from an EU MP glory hunter. Crazy and as I said, conforming to do this is nothing but scratching the EU's back and to save money.
Yep, no wonder they all jumped at this - Look good in the eyes of Joe Public & the EU, AND save money! A Company's dream!

LOL - The Expanse looks fantastic in 4K on Amazon Prime. We have the first three seasons on iTunes and though they look great on the ATV, when instead we stream the Amazon Prime versions, the uptick is very noticeable.

Yep, I'd definitely check your TV settings! :)

Never watched The Expanse. I'll give it a go.

My TV settings were culled from:

And do you find Hunters looks okay in UHD?

Never watched The Expanse. I'll give it a go.

My TV settings were culled from:

And do you find Hunters looks okay in UHD?

Not watched it yet, but I powered up the set & started it & grabbed a couple of snaps on my phone, but it's bright & the detail is great as far as I see.
This is using the Amazon App on ATV4K

IMG_20200321_123747224.jpg
IMG_20200321_123742085.jpg

Interesting. I found the HD stream to have better colours and was much more vivid.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but amazon prime and apple tv+ have announced they’re also onboard with this eu idiocy.

Yes, Picard looked terrible yesterday. Lasted 5 minutes and gave up. Got it somewhere else instead.

While we still can, the latest from J&K is 4K HDR on the TV app and quite nice on an OLED

Just checked our broadband speed at 0750 hrs on Sunday morning and nothing in the house is using the internet. We have TalkTalk's 78 mb/s service which has always been good. Today it's 14mb/s for downloads and 9mb/s for uploads. Needless to say that will impact on the quality of streaming.

Just checked our broadband speed at 0750 hrs on Sunday morning and nothing in the house is using the internet. We have TalkTalk's 78 mb/s service which has always been good. Today it's 14mb/s for downloads and 9mb/s for uploads. Needless to say that will impact on the quality of streaming.
I don't use Netflix or Amazon,Youtube etc, just Nowtv which is so poor i have use the lan cable to the tv otherwiose it goes blurry, i have 35mb broadband from Shell energy- basically Talk Talk, i get around 27mbs on wifi, i had similar problems the other day, so i rebooted the router & that did the trick- i'm still using Vodafone's router

I'm on Gosforth exchange

I'm still getting 4K viewing on YouTube. Don't believe anything has changed. ( Yet )

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom