NEWS: Coronavirus: Streaming services asked to switch to SD

@ssbib : I have a 2019 LG 49SM8500PLA. I’ll have to try the app. on my Sony BR player but I think that the HD data rates have not been returned to the pre-Covid throttling exercise. 4K stuff seem to be around 11Mbps, and DV stuff at around 15. These are rhe new norms, I think.

@ssbib : I have a 2019 LG 49SM8500PLA. I’ll have to try the app. on my Sony BR player but I think that the HD data rates have not been returned to the pre-Covid throttling exercise. 4K stuff seem to be around 11Mbps, and DV stuff at around 15. These are rhe new norms, I think.
I’ve not checked the rates recently but I thought they had gone back to normal a month or so ago. Let’s hope you’re wrong on this one.

I'm about a week away from pulling the trigger on another month of Netflix, if they've started capping again then I'll be honest I'm gonna be pissed.

The only thing I’ve been watching of late has been the latest season of Money Heist and it looks fantastic in DV, haven’t seen any issues at all, I’ve not actually checked the bitrate though.

We need to check the bitrates, as if it's not 15.25 with 4K HDR, then it's being capped again.

Normal 4K runs at about 11 I think.

I haven't had issues myself, but I do know some folks have used VPNs to avoid the bitrate caps (plus access extra content)

The 4K stuff isn't the problem, it's the 1080p stuff that is really suffering. The bitrates are wildly inconsistent also. Some episodes of a series can be 4-5mbps, then others 1-2mbps. Some of it looks awful and it never used to be like this.

The only thing I’ve been watching of late has been the latest season of Money Heist and it looks fantastic in DV, haven’t seen any issues at all, I’ve not actually checked the bitrate though.
Just had a look at that- picture quality no where near the mark for me- most of the sky HD channels are producing a better image. Have a look on YT, there is a free 6 minutes worth of Gemini man in 4K- for me that’s how 4 k should look😁

Just been watching The Gift Season 2 and while it's in 4K (no HDR or DV) the bitrate is extremely low. All episodes around 3.5mbps. Surprisingly looks damn good 99% of the time. Can anyone else check this?

Not sure what's going on anymore with Netflix, there seems to be no consistency at all.

Just been watching The Gift Season 2 and while it's in 4K (no HDR or DV) the bitrate is extremely low. All episodes around 3.5mbps. Surprisingly looks damn good 99% of the time. Can anyone else check this?

Not sure what's going on anymore with Netflix, there seems to be no consistency at all.

Episode 1 seemed to top out at 4.38mbps for me

Other episodes seemed to be around the 3.5 mark

Check out Better Call Saul. If it's around 11 it's fine. If it's dropped to 4 odd then they're throttling again.

Also HDR should be 15.25.

(I don't have Netflix right now so can't myself).

I g
I just started watched the new Enola Holmes on Netflix and it’s only getting to 1080p @ 5.53mbps.

I tried some other stuff and reached full 15.25mbps

Does anyone mind testing the above movie and let me know what you get.

Thanks
Gave up Tuesday evening because it kept buffering. Wednesday evening it was perfect.

Just watched Enola Holmes, it was listed as Dolby Atmos Dolby Vision. It played at 1080p @ 5.53mbps in Dolby Digital but Dolby Vision, WTF :facepalm:

Star Trek Discovery is also 1080p DV, I believe.

Just watched Enola Holmes, it was listed as Dolby Atmos Dolby Vision. It played at 1080p @ 5.53mbps in Dolby Digital but Dolby Vision, WTF :facepalm:

I mentioned that the other day, it’s normal and not any throttling of the service, apparently the movie was purchased by netflix just as it was about to hit cinema but due to covid Netflix purchased it.

I mentioned that the other day, it’s normal and not any throttling of the service, apparently the movie was purchased by netflix just as it was about to hit cinema but due to covid Netflix purchased it.
There's something going on because it wasn't in Atmos but was advertised with it. I tried both my Sony XF and XG apps and got same result. To be honest quality was ok, just strange that it wasn't in 4K with Atmos.

There's something going on because it wasn't in Atmos but was advertised with it. I tried both my Sony XF and XG apps and got same result. To be honest quality was ok, just strange that it wasn't in 4K with Atmos.

Just tried it, atmos here.

Internal app on LG cx
IMG_20200928_183840.jpg

Apple TV?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom