NEWS: Coronavirus: Streaming services asked to switch to SD

:facepalm:

All because one EU politician suggested it, despite the major providers insisting it wasn’t needed. It’s almost as if they were just waiting for an excuse to reduce bandwidth.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes to return to normal. If it ever does.

Can confirm netflix 4k works full 15mbps bitrate with US VPN. One way to get around it I guess.

6A1F9223-EC7A-4BD9-A4AC-C004B6A9E681.gif

Well, after the government brings in food rationing, it will ration electricity, which will definitely limit streaming consumption.

Clem

Well, after the government brings in food rationing, it will ration electricity, which will definitely limit streaming consumption.

Clem
Only if you signed up for one of those new fangled smart meters...

My laptop doesn't take much to charge, can stream from the internet using my phone, work phone, or tablet (each on different networks, oodles of data). Even in the most severe rationing situations, I reckon I'm ok...

Watched a Disney+ movie yesterday and the whole way through I couldn't help but think "would this look better if a stupid EU politican hadn't needlessly cut streaming quality?". Will be interesting to see how it looks when the ISPs finally manage to cut through and say there is nothing to be concerned about, and full streaming rates are restored.

No smart meters chez moi, thank you very much! With what’s going on, it wouldn’t surprise me if the scheme died a death, or was put back for a couple of years. Here’s hoping. I don’t need a smart meter to tell me how to save money. I just use less electricity and gas and my bills reflect that. No rocket science or rubbish technology involved.

Clem

Only if you signed up for one of those new fangled smart meters...

My laptop doesn't take much to charge, can stream from the internet using my phone, work phone, or tablet (each on different networks, oodles of data). Even in the most severe rationing situations, I reckon I'm ok...

Watched a Disney+ movie yesterday and the whole way through I couldn't help but think "would this look better if a stupid EU politican hadn't needlessly cut streaming quality?". Will be interesting to see how it looks when the ISPs finally manage to cut through and say there is nothing to be concerned about, and full streaming rates are restored.

I did a quick compare of Avengers: Endgame between the UHD blu-ray and the Disney+ stream. I didn't notice any difference. The D+ stream was DV and the BR was HDR. I watched the scene at the beginning with Hawkeye and his family. I didn't compare the sound as both as going through the TV sound.

I did a quick compare of Avengers: Endgame between the UHD blu-ray and the Disney+ stream. I didn't notice any difference. The D+ stream was DV and the BR was HDR. I watched the scene at the beginning with Hawkeye and his family. I didn't compare the sound as both as going through the TV sound.
Are you watching in a dark room?

What TV size and how far away were you sitting?

Can confirm netflix 4k works full 15mbps bitrate with US VPN. One way to get around it I guess.
How would one do this if watching D+ through an LG tv?

What TV size and how far away were you sitting?

55" LG UHD TV with DV. Maybe 9 feet away from the TV. Thing is that Avengers: Endgame is upsscaled to 2160. SO it could be that there's really not all that much different between 1440 and 2160 in terms of detail from the upscale. I would hope to see a difference if this was native 4k reduced to 1440.

If e are not done with the lockdown, then Netflix won't be giving us our bandwidth back. It doesn't make sense for that to happen unless we are back to normal and not stuck at home.

It doesn’t make sense for it to be happening in the first place. No ISP has said it’s anywhere remotely near peak capacity.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom