NEWS: Coronavirus: Streaming services asked to switch to SD

Understandable. Maybe drop 4k offerings to 1080/720 and HD to 720/SD

Dropping to SD seems a little extreme. Surely 720p wouldn't put too much strain on the infrastructure 🤷‍♂️

And I suppose those of us paying for Full Hd streams will be reimbursed the difference in cost? I think we know the answer to that.
My plan:

1 - worry about it if it actually was to happen
2 - if it does, cancel on spot and save cash
3 - watch physical media instead
4 - go down the Winchester for a nice pint until this all blows over
5 - resubscribe once my 4K Dolby Vision and Atmos are restored.

(Caveat; if not dead)

I’ve actually already knocked my Apple TV 4K down to 720 for this very reason. I won’t be asking for a reduction in subs as I’m fortunate enough that my monthly income is unlikely to be affected. I’m just looking at it as doing a very small thing for the greater good. But I understand 100% that the majority are in a completely different financial position from me and that for most, every penny counts. I’d like to think that if streaming switches to SD only, they’ll reduce prices accordingly. Otherwise they risk alienating customers who will cancel completely and potentially do themselves long term, perhaps even fatal financial damage.

Would it not be easier to ask consumers to ration their streaming? I only watch Netflx or Amazon maybe four or five times a week, for a couple of hours at a time. Granted, i'm not tech savvy, but I can't believe the entire system would be in danger of crashing if every other subscriber did the same. Yes, in the current climate we may have to do our bit, but surely there are limits?

If they did that I think it would be fair to have the option of downloading the 4k or 1080p version slowly. Otherwise projector and big TV owners will find it difficult to watch anything.

If slow downloads are available, even if they take all day at a restricted speed so it's easier on the network, that is still better than a whole day's worth of SD content for some people.

Also, perhaps the download speed could be increase in the early hours...

This is why I'm forever an advocate of owning your own media.... movies definitely, TV shows is a bit of a pickle with the sheer volume of shows coming out these days !

I've got sopranos on blu ray that I keep meaning to start, and a load of other physical media if needed. Not having netflix etc isn't the end of the world.

A lot of comments here from people only caring about themselves. Yes this is not ideal but having stable internet for the UK is much more important to ensure business can operate as smoothly as possible.

It's about being part of a community. Others are making much greater sacrifices than dropping 4k down to HD or lower.

We know that we're not stupid but we're keeping things light hearted but I know where you're coming from but a least we can have a normal chat on these forums

I'm self employed and running out of work but whatever happens I and we will get through it so if I've got some blurays they help pass the time. Chin up everyone

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom