Quantcast

NEWS: Coronavirus: Streaming services asked to switch to SD

Sandyb01

Well what a surprise - some on here will always have a gripe.

Yes yes, you'll always have an angle ("just an excuse to make more cash", "virtue signalling").
But in the end, they're just doing the simplest thing to ensure some continuity during a crisis.

And well, big picture.

Urban Splash

There'll be quite a jump in usage on the 24th when D+ goes - or tries to go - live
I wouldn’t be surprised if D+ gets delayed. What’s the point of Netflix reducing bandwidth traffic across Europe for it to be taken by thousands of D+ streams. I would rather not watch than have a rubbish picture

Khazul

This is only a problem because they wont let us store on a NAS an watch offline.

XeNoNF50

Netflix have announced they are doing it
I just don't get it. If someone's internet cannot take it then the bitrate would just naturally scale down anyway? I have a gigabit connection and a netflix 4k dolby vision and atmos stream only takes up 1.5% of my total bandwidth. It's at a crawling bitrate already. I suppose it's Netflix's servers that aren't prepared?

jwsg

Nope its not broadband (despite Guardian article saying its to prevent Broadband overload) or Netflix servers, its a Netflix exec reacting - and managing to be the first so that all the other companies will appear to be following them if they make similar announcements - to an EU commissioner who thinks the internet will be saved by us only watching in black and white and using candles for lighting

XeNoNF50

Nope its not broadband (despite Guardian article saying its to prevent Broadband overload) or Netflix servers, its a Netflix exec reacting - and managing to be the first so that all the other companies will appear to be following them if they make similar announcements - to an EU commissioner who thinks the internet will be saved by us only watching in black and white and using candles for lighting
What's the point working towards getting the entire country connected with full fibre if you're not even allowed to use it

jwsg

What the commissioner actually said - not that facts matter much - is that we should switch to SD,

If the problem is our home broadband - i..e. our connections saturated by someone video streaming when we're trying to work from home then that's for us to fix or use QoS on the router.

Despite this and also ISPs saying they have enough capacity (no doubt they do but then again the supermarkets said they had supply capacity and that's been shown to be rubbish) Netflix have taken the technically correct but not proven necessary step of chopping a massive 25% off their already not very high bit-rates.

XeNoNF50

Can only assume Netflix would go along with it because they are seeing increased costs per user from increase in streaming activity or their servers can't take it? It's not like they stream at a high bitrate to begin with.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
So Netflix have already begun to lower the stream in Europe (UK is unconfirmed at this time) and I am wondering if it will take place at your next billing cycle, they will drop your package down to SD so lowering your monthly payment?

EDIT: So after reading a little more it seems they aren't dropping to SD they are altering the bitrate. So if your on the UHD package you will still get that but at a lower bitrate.

Last edited:

Jokerr

This is nonsense IMHO. All decent streaming services have adaptive rate adjustments, so if there's less bandwidth available the transmission rate is adjusted accordingly. This sounds like politician speak to me -- "I need a soundbite to seem important, so I'll comment on something that I know nothing about so that I seem that I'm up-to-speed with all things coronavirus.". Fzzzzz.

I had an email earlier this week from VM informing me that their network is robust enough to deal with the expected increase in demand. That said, streaming services would be more than happy to offer a capped SD service for 4K prices. I can't see this one going anywhere, but am happy to be proved wrong.

Clem
Yes I also understand Streaming services have enough server capacity to deliver on this increased demand. However the physical limitation is the uk internet infrastructure which is long overdue improvements.
Personally they should limit online gaming which is very significant. Leave streaming services alone.

DT79

So assuming this is a necessary and helpful measure for them to take to reduce overall internet traffic given that so many additional people are now working from home....why don’t they just apply the restrictions during normal working hours?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I’ve actually already knocked my Apple TV 4K down to 720 for this very reason. I won’t be asking for a reduction in subs as I’m fortunate enough that my monthly income is unlikely to be affected. I’m just looking at it as doing a very small thing for the greater good. But I understand 100% that the majority are in a completely different financial position from me and that for most, every penny counts. I’d like to think that if streaming switches to SD only, they’ll reduce prices accordingly. Otherwise they risk alienating customers who will cancel completely and potentially do themselves long term, perhaps even fatal financial damage.
:confused::facepalm:😂

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I've got sopranos on blu ray that I keep meaning to start, and a load of other physical media if needed. Not having netflix etc isn't the end of the world.
Better then any guff showing on netflix currently 👍

Jokerr

Perhaps they can restrict quality only on phones/tablets/computers and leave our UHD/HDR TV’s on full resolution.

Bastille

Bitrate reductions up to 50% being reported on Twitter (in UK).

What a joke.

I’d like to check mine but don’t think you can on Apple TV app?

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
15.25 Mbps for the 4K DV stream of Kingdom at the moment. No reduction at all....yet!

Kingchin

Better then any guff showing on netflix currently 👍
Netflix actually have a wide range of very good recent Netflix produced series - Kingdom, Dark, Money Heist just to name 3 :thumbsup: I myself have always been a physical media guy so will also rewatch some of my classic series on disc like The Wire.

Streaming movie's, music, series and online gaming is a good distraction for people stuck at home in this global crisis. Keeps people from losing their marbles until the situation improves.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Bitrate reductions up to 50% being reported on Twitter (in UK).

What a joke.

I’d like to check mine but don’t think you can on Apple TV app?
Watched the first 2 episodes of The Stranger tonight in DV. Nothing obviously amiss that I could see.

Clem

jwsg

A Netlfix exec decided to cut EU (i.e. not US) bit-rates by 25% in response to some EU person's tweet which in a non-technical way and based on no actual measurements or problems just suggested that we switch our viewing to.SD. Everything else is just people adding to the story.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
My plan:

1 - worry about it if it actually was to happen
2 - if it does, cancel on spot and save cash
3 - watch physical media instead
4 - go down the Winchester for a nice pint until this all blows over
5 - resubscribe once my 4K Dolby Vision and Atmos are restored.

(Caveat; if not dead)
Or eaten by zombies
......Oh sorry wrong kind of virus.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Netflix actually have a wide range of very good recent Netflix produced series - Kingdom, Dark, Money Heist just to name 3 :thumbsup: I myself have always been a physical media guy so will rewatch some of my classic series on disc like The Wire.

Streaming movie's, music, series and online gaming is a good distraction for people stuck at home in this global crisis. Keeps people from losing their marbles until the situation improves.
They're all pretty dire.

The Wire is tv excellence.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
They're all pretty dire.

The Wire is tv excellence.
And on disc so win win. Actually I need to finish watching The Wire. :blush: got S04 and 5 to watch. Then it's Boardwalk Empire to finish. Then need to start, yes START on The Soprano's! The Shield! (but eeew DVD). West Wing,

Then I could re-watch House MD, Cracker, then for something completely different and since none of the above is what you could call "happy viewing", I could just stick in the 2012 Olympics Blu Rays and get my gathered crowed fix at the same time.

......PS I've been laid off for ???? weeks so I got plenty of time.

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Should be an immediate free period for all broadband and streaming services during the enforced homeworking/isolation period

Latest News

Britbox now available on LG smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Virgin Media TV customers get 18 free channels
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 6th April 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
BenQ launches new Home Cinema and Gaming projectors
  • By Andy Bassett