Quantcast

NEWS: Coronavirus: Streaming services asked to switch to SD

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I’d rather watch a blank screen than SD on a 65” OLED. Why the assumption the infrastructure can‘t cope? Anything to back it up. In America they‘ve removed their antiquated data caps at the one time you’d think they may actually need them. Goes to show they never did in the first place.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
This is nonsense IMHO. All decent streaming services have adaptive rate adjustments, so if there's less bandwidth available the transmission rate is adjusted accordingly. This sounds like politician speak to me -- "I need a soundbite to seem important, so I'll comment on something that I know nothing about so that I seem that I'm up-to-speed with all things coronavirus.". Fzzzzz.

I had an email earlier this week from VM informing me that their network is robust enough to deal with the expected increase in demand. That said, streaming services would be more than happy to offer a capped SD service for 4K prices. I can't see this one going anywhere, but am happy to be proved wrong.

Clem

richp007

Distinguished Member
I thought this was nonsense, until I saw earlier that if you sign up for Netflix currently you get the package up at the price of the lower package.

So the £8.99 for £5.99, the £11.99 for £8.99 etc.

Possibly some substance to the story....

JabbaNut

Obviously all those 4k, 8k TV and also those high end media streamers will upscale the SD and 480p media to 4k no problem.

:laugh::rotfl::devil::facepalm::cool:

Andy Bassett

Standard Member
Staff member
How do you feel about this @Andy Bassett? I’m interested to know your views.
People in positions of responsibility have a duty to explore any and all options in response to crisis situations. Whether the suggestion is viable or would be effective is debatable but there's no reason not to bring it to the table along with any other suggestions that might possibly help.
Hope that helps, I'm afraid that's all I've got time for.

jock1

Netflix to cut streaming quality in Europe for 30 days
Netflix has not yet said whether the bitrate reduction will be applied to other areas such as North America.

Amar1

Is this applied in the UK or just the EU or just mainland Europe? Not clear from the news story.

jwsg

25% off the bit-rate. At least theyve done the logical thing and reduced the bit-rate and not "switched to SD" which only someone with no grasp of streaming would say. The other companies will want to follow suit soon of course. Is this really fixing any actual measured problem?

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
25% off the bit-rate. At least theyve done the logical thing and reduced the bit-rate and not "switched to SD" which only someone with no grasp of streaming would say. The other companies will want to follow suit soon of course. Is this really fixing any actual measured problem?
No. It's more corporate virtue signalling, but this time with the added benefit of saving them some cash.

1080 jawbreaker

they will lower the bitrate then see how many complaints they get. If minimal then that might become the norm. its a win win for them

MartinH32

cicada78

Netflix already seemed to have low bit rates for a lot of their content. Amazon and Now Tv with Boost definetely looked better. If the lower quality service helps then I'm sure we will all cope!

Last edited:

Latest News

BenQ launches new Home Cinema and Gaming projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Acorn TV streaming service to launch in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UK 2020 TV rollout and prices revealed
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV shipment forecasts slashed for Q2 2020