NEWS: Cineworld expected to close UK cinemas for foreseeable future

jdevil

Distinguished Member
I can see what you're saying, but the cinema gives you access to a screen size and audio that you cannot easily replicate at home and not everyone is an audiophile, so doesn't have the kit and setups that people on here have.

The cost of the cinema ticket is more like paying to go to an event. To pay the same to stay in and in most cases get a lesser experience is a harder sell.
I get that you get some added benefits (I'm a cinema lover myself), however lets say you're paying 50% for the film and the other 50% for the better picture/audio facility.
As you say, you're paying for an event at home but to counter that there is no restriction on how many people you can view the film with. Some will enjoy it even more with the whole family, grabbing their own drinks/popcorn and snuggled around the couch for only £20 (for the average family of 4).

All I'm saying is, I simply don't understand how anyone can find it a ripoff for £20. If there is a choice of paying £20 to see the latest Bond/Marvel film for 5 months before it hits digital/physical sale then you're getting value for money.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
All I'm saying is, I simply don't understand how anyone can find it a ripoff for £20. If there is a choice of paying £20 to see the latest Bond/Marvel film for 5 months before it hits digital/physical sale then you're getting value for money.
On the flipside, I simply don’t understand how anyone can NOT find it a rip off to pay £20 for a stream of 1 movie.

Hell we get a full months unlimited Netflix for £9! £20 for 1 movie! In the home. Almost as outrageous as a premier league football match ticket:D

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Yes, although you are more than welcome to wait for a few months and own it physically for only £20. By then the hype has dried up and folks will be talking about the next film. After all, you're really paying for the exclusivity viewing which is no different to the cinema. This is the part folks on here are kinda missing. Wait even 5 years and you might be lucky enough to watch it free on TV.

I can't see something like No Time to Die appearing in Netflix for at least 2 years after launch, so while Netflix offers incredible value, it offers almost no value to someone like having nearly seen all the newer films before they are released on there.

Kotatsu Neko

Yes, although you are more than welcome to wait for a few months and own it physically for only £20. By then the hype has dried up and folks will be talking about the next film. After all, you're really paying for the exclusivity viewing which is no different to the cinema. This is the part folks on here are kinda missing. Wait even 5 years and you might be lucky enough to watch it free on TV.

I can't see something like No Time to Die appearing in Netflix for at least 2 years after launch, so while Netflix offers incredible value, it offers almost no value to someone like having nearly seen all the newer films before they are released on there.
If you're after value the middle ground is a Cinema Paradiso membership. £12 a month or so and you get 6 4K BDs a month of the latest releases. Nothing touches that.

VisionMan

I don't get all this talk about "£20 so see it once as a rental" complaint.

Even at the cinema you are paying £10-22
When you go to the cinema its an event, shown on a big screen experience and sound to die for. With an audience around you to share that experience. It isn't cheap, but its a day or night out (and sometimes both) thats a special treat.

But for a home stream that costs similar/more to going the cinema? Even for those with living room home cinema kits its just like watching the telly. Well, thats exactly what it is.

Kotatsu Neko

When you go to the cinema its an event, shown on a big screen experience and sound to die for. With an audience around you to share that experience. It isn't cheap, but its a day or night out (and sometimes both) thats a special treat.

But for a home stream that costs similar/more to going the cinema? Even for those with living room home cinema kits its just like watching the telly. Well, thats exactly what it is.
Depends on the cinema and the audience. Cinema experiences can be grim ordeals.

From price perspective, a cinema ticket is around £15 a person, so the £20 stream very quickly becomes the cheaper option, and that's without factoring in the petrol, parking, and over priced crappy cinema food.

I'd like to see people get the option. Release everything theatrically and on streaming on the same day. Let people decide for themselves which they prefer.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I don't get all this talk about "£20 so see it once as a rental" complaint.

Even at the cinema you are paying £10-22 (Imax and London cinema's) a ticket to see it once...
I wouldn’t pay £20 to stream a film, well there may be the very occasional one but generally no. Why?

My TV is good, a 65” OLED, but the seating is too far back, the room shape not good for the sound and speaker placement and even with my 70Mbps broadband there is no way I can stream true 4K, I can’t even stream true 1080P. In short, I can’t come close to matching the cinema experience.

Now back to the cinema, I was paying £18 per month for Cineworld Unlimited, I would see at least 4 and up to 8 films per month. So I was paying between £2.25 and £4.50 for each film I watched - not £20.

The good thing I found about Cineworld Unlimited is that I could watch anything without regret. Some of what I watched turned out to be utter rubbish - had I paid to watch those I would have been resentful. On the other hand there were some films that I would not have never paid to see that turned out to be absolutely gems, I would have missed them otherwise.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

VisionMan

There seems to be some very anti-cinema goers on here who couldn't care less, which is fair enough. If you don't like the experience of it or don't like it you don't like it. But please don't wish it away for those that do.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Don't think anyone is wishing anything away.

If there are no films to show, there will be no cinemas anyway and studios presumable can't afford to sit on finished films indefinitely without the money coming in.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
There seems to be some very anti-cinema goers on here who couldn't care less, which is fair enough. If you don't like the experience of it or don't like it you don't like it. But please don't wish it away for those that do.
If that is reference to me then you're sorely mistaken I'm afraid. I'm a Cineworld unlimited member, saw Tenet on the first day in August and been in the movie section for over 12 years now.

If you see my comments, I was more critical of those willing to pay £15-20 to watch new films at the cinema but not willing to give that same amount to watch the latest films at home.

The reality is, Cinema's won't be the only thing we'll be losing after this pandemic and we could be losing parts of the film industry too.

jdevil

Distinguished Member

If there are no films to show, there will be no cinemas anyway and studios presumable can't afford to sit on finished films indefinitely without the money coming in.
Exactly my point. I know some would love to pay £4 to rent but at that price the Studio would make more money selling it to Prime/Netflix.
Even worse, £4 paid for a family of 4 to watch the film (at that price point, they might as well release the film online for free lol)

nheather

Distinguished Member
If that is reference to me then you're sorely mistaken I'm afraid. I'm a Cineworld unlimited member, saw Tenet on the first day in August and been in the movie section for over 12 years now.

If you see my comments, I was more critical of those willing to pay £15-20 to watch new films at the cinema but not willing to give that same amount to watch the latest films at home.

The reality is, Cinema's won't be the only thing we'll be losing after this pandemic and we could be losing parts of the film industry too.
I understand that. But then are you critical of me, I am a Cineworld Unlimited customer, have been for 5 years, I would have gone to see Mulan at the Cinema as part of my membership but I wouldn’t pay £20 for it.

Same with Tenet, I’d have watched it at the Cinema (I didn’t because my account was frozen at the time) but I wouldn’t pay £20 to stream it. But I would possibly pay £20 for the 4K disk.

But Tenet is a special case, most films would fall into the Mulan category.

Why won’t I pay to stream premium movies
  1. My home theatre, although half decent, can’t deliver the quality
  2. My head is in “this is watching on Netflix, Prime, or Disney+, I have already paid for those and have a backlog of stuff in my watchlists that I want to watch”.

Cheers,

Nigel

VisionMan

I want to make it clear my comments on here haven't been a reference or reply to anyone.

And so is only a reply to the general tone of the thread, which is grim to say the least.

mike7

Distinguished Member
No, interests outside the UK and the USA are in their original territory in Israel and Eastern Europe where the cinemas remain open. These were the original cinemas owned by the Greidinger family. Mooky, the current CEO, inherited them from his father. They are seeking financial input from Chinese investors which might even lead to a takeover. In the meantime Cineworlds share value has plummeted and their debts are such that the company could collapse. They are being sued for millions of dollars by a Canadian chain which they failed to purchase in the early part of this year.

Updated

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

This £20 price tag to stream a brand new release at home really puts things into perspective because at work we have a contract with a very niche business who sell these media boxes that allow you to watch the latest releases while they are still in the cinema (sometimes pre-cinema release too) , it’s marketed at the super rich who have their own state of the art setups (lots sold in Dubai apparently) and they pay upwards of $10,000 for the service.

Needless to say we haven’t sold many of their units since March as I imagine that whole side of the business has pretty much died what with no new releases but the fact that what would have once cost 5 figures to access is now looking at becoming something anyone can access for £20 is crazy and yet seems a lot think this is still a rip off, just goes to show value for money is most definitely subjective.

nheather

Distinguished Member
This £20 price tag to stream a brand new release at home really puts things into perspective because at work we have a contract with a very niche business who sell these media boxes that allow you to watch the latest releases while they are still in the cinema (sometimes pre-cinema release too) , it’s marketed at the super rich who have their own state of the art setups (lots sold in Dubai apparently) and they pay upwards of $10,000 for the service.

Needless to say we haven’t sold many of their units since March as I imagine that whole side of the business has pretty much died what with no new releases but the fact that what would have once cost 5 figures to access is now looking at becoming something anyone can access for £20 is crazy and yet seems a lot think this is still a rip off, just goes to show value for money is most definitely subjective.
I'm not sure many are saying it is a rip off, just that they wouldn't pay it - two different things.

Also you need to take care what the super rich and what Joe Public feel are affordable.

For some, £20 Is a significant amount of money, it means nearly half a days work to someone on minimum wage. Whereas, for the super rich £1000 might seem a trivial amount of money. It might be the equivalent of a penny to mere mortals.

Cheers,

Nigel

Drax1

Distinguished Member

richp007

Distinguished Member
There's got to be some good news for cinema's at some point!

Although studios owning cinema's might not be best for the industry anyway.

Fillumgeek

On exhibitors:

"I hope they come out the other side, probably even stronger."

Wow. That's cold.

I haven't got anything positive to say right now, except that out of great hardship new and creative things often happen. Did not the 60s and 70s follow years of post-war austerity?

I hope my generation is ready to re-power and re-invigorate what going to the pictures means for our kids.

Coz it's going to be a while back...

VisionMan

I'm not sure many are saying it is a rip off, just that they wouldn't pay it - two different things.

Also you need to take care what the super rich and what Joe Public feel are affordable.

For some, £20 Is a significant amount of money, it means nearly half a days work to someone on minimum wage.
Whereas, for the super rich £1000 might seem a trivial amount of money. It might be the equivalent of a penny to mere mortals.

Cheers,

Nigel
I completely agree, which is basically only all about ones disposable income and to those on minimum wage, thats a lot to rent a film. It would be far better to wait 3 months and then buy the blu ray which is yours to keep.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Still cheaper than a couple of you going to the cinema and again you could still wait 3 months and own it.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Still cheaper than a couple of you going to the cinema and again you could still wait 3 months and own it.
If it were for something that I really wanted to see now then I would pay the £20. And maybe one off special occasions.

Would I pay £20 to watch Bond, probably not.
Dune, maybe.
WW84, normally no, but as a Boxing Day treat, possibly.

But for every release - not at all.

Before Covid I was watching up to 8 movies a month in the cinema dor less than £20 a month - would I pay £160 per month to stream them, not a chance.

And that is the challenge, I think streaming will only work for certain films, not for all, or even many.

Cheers,

Nigel

xar

I for one love the cinema, however, being self employed with 2 young kids means my ability to actually go to the cinema is minimal (brownies, beavers, football, swimming, parties etc), and if I do get to go, it is (was) at the weekend to see a kids movie (noting my kids are 4 years apart so finding something they both want to watch is night on impossible).

The cheapest I can go for is circa £7 per ticket (so £21 if the wife doesn't come), plus pick and mix (the main reason my kids want to go seemingly). Obviously if I go myself it's £7, although on the rare occasions this does happen it usually go for the better seats at £10 (as the cheap ones are not the good ones anymore). Note thats at the Vue which is a bit of a drive. If I go to Cineworld (closer) it's £11 minimum. The last movie I saw that wasn't with the kids was Avengers Endgame, and I had to take half a day off work for that.

Hence the garage conversion and the home cinema. So from a purely monetary perspective, £20 for a family movie that would cost me £21 / £28 at the cinema is comparable, and I don't get to keep the movie at the end of either. No difference.

For movies I actually want to watch by myself (Black Widow, Bond, FF9 etc), then it's circa double the price I would pay to go to the cinema. However, as I have good equipment, a big screen, and its a 10 second walk from my house, £20 is reasonable for me. Plus (restrictions aside obviously), I would probably invite at least one mate who would contribute towards the cost, bringing it back to £10 a viewing.

Obviously there are those with a Cineworld pass who go multiple times a day / week / month and the math does not compute. Similarly, those with an 'average' setup are probably losing out on the big screen / sound experience. In both of these cases I can see the argument for not releasing at home.

In my personal case however, I probably pay to go to the cinema a maximum 5-6 times a year, and 4-5 of those are kids movies, 1-2 blockbusters. If I had the option to watch a blockbuster once a month at home, I probably would. Therefore the studios would get 10 more movies out of me a year than they do today, possibly more. The cinemas are not losing out as I wasn't going anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Sean Connery: James Bond icon dies aged 90
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett