NEWS: Cineworld Cinemas to reopen by 10th July

PlexShaw

Booked for IMAX Batman Begins at Leicester Square. Looking forward it. :thumbsup:

nheather

Distinguished Member
Well this looks decidedly crooked.

I have been emailing Customer Service for well over a month saying that I want to freeze my account. They have also replied saying that I must wait until the call centre opens. That was until this Monday (27th July) when they replied asking me to send in my details.

I have now got an email back saying that my account is frozen from the 28th August. It looks very much like they using "you must give one months notice" even though they have been preventing me from giving notice. That suggests that they are going to use the payment that they took in April to cover that notice period.

Will be bloody angry if that is the case - we'll see what they have to say when I call them tomorrow.

Cheers,

Nigel

Paden

With face coverings now being mandatory in cinemas I can't see how they'll still be able to offer any selection of cinema snacks without encouraging non-compliance.

Cheers, Paul

Barrovian

With face coverings now being mandatory in cinemas I can't see how they'll still be able to offer any selection of cinema snacks without encouraging non-compliance.

Cheers, Paul
Exactly. They're charging vastly reduced prices while they've got no new films to show. At least the concession stands gave them a chance to make a bit of extra money to help out with the operating costs which I presume will be much the same as pre-lockdown. Wearing face coverings will wipe out any sales from the concession stands and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of chains just shut uo shop again. I'll wear a mask for a twenty minute dash around the supermarket, but three hours plus in a cinema with nothing to eat or drink and steamed up glasses? No thanks.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Exactly. They're charging vastly reduced prices while they've got no new films to show. At least the concession stands gave them a chance to make a bit of extra money to help out with the operating costs which I presume will be much the same as pre-lockdown. Wearing face coverings will wipe out any sales from the concession stands and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of chains just shut uo shop again. I'll wear a mask for a twenty minute dash around the supermarket, but three hours plus in a cinema with nothing to eat or drink and steamed up glasses? No thanks.
Overall, I agree with you about the challenge to make money - even with food the reduced numbers would make it a challenge.

But I question the vastly reduced prices.

My local Cineworld is charging fairly high prices compared with others I have heard mentioned in these forums. They are making every use of 4DX and ScreenX as they can which are £13 and £11. And for standard 2D they are charging £8.

These are for old films - now I wonder how much they are being charged for showing these films. I recall some months back that hundreds of old films were being made available at low cost (or even free) to kickstart the cinema business.

There is also a VAT deal for cinemas - think no VAT on the movie prices at least, not sure about food.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are making a lot more per audience member with these old films than modern ones. The challenge of course is that are a lot fewer customers.

Plus Cineworld Unlimited are still being charged full price for these cheaper films - and if you are within your first year of membership you are not allowed to freeze your account.

I also think people will tire of old movies - there may be a interest at first, having missed the cinema so much so I suspect early numbers may look interesting but with free new releases this year I think that interest will tail off to a smaller sustained level.

But as you say, overall, it is hard to imagine it being viable for long - I think they were all hoping it would be just for a few weeks before a flood of new releases.

Cheers,

Nigel

Barrovian

Overall, I agree with you about the challenge to make money - even with food the reduced numbers would make it a challenge.

But I question the vastly reduced prices.

My local Cineworld is charging fairly high prices compared with others I have heard mentioned in these forums. They are making every use of 4DX and ScreenX as they can which are £13 and £11. And for standard 2D they are charging £8.

These are for old films - now I wonder how much they are being charged for showing these films. I recall some months back that hundreds of old films were being made available at low cost (or even free) to kickstart the cinema business.

There is also a VAT deal for cinemas - think no VAT on the movie prices at least, not sure about food.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are making a lot more per audience member with these old films than modern ones. The challenge of course is that are a lot fewer customers.

Plus Cineworld Unlimited are still being charged full price for these cheaper films - and if you are within your first year of membership you are not allowed to freeze your account.

I also think people will tire of old movies - there may be a interest at first, having missed the cinema so much so I suspect early numbers may look interesting but with free new releases this year I think that interest will tail off to a smaller sustained level.

But as you say, overall, it is hard to imagine it being viable for long - I think they were all hoping it would be just for a few weeks before a flood of new releases.

Cheers,

Nigel
As far as prices go, my local Showcase is charging a flat rate £5.00 across the board. My local Cineworld opened this weekend at around £6.00 (it doesn’t have Superscreen, Imax or 4dx capability) Even the Odeon Leicester Square were only charging £12 as opposed to the usual north of £40 for Royal Circle seats. I’d booked there for Empire Strikes Back until they had a change of heart three days before opening😳 Cancelled just after I’d booked my return train ticket for the trip🙄

Last edited:

nheather

Distinguished Member
As far as prices go, my local Showcase is charging a flat rate £5.00 across the board. My local Cineworld opened this weekend at around £6.00 (it doesn’t have Superscreen, Imax or 4dx capability) Even the Odeon Leicester Square we’re only charging £12 as opposed to the usual north of £40 for Royal Circle seats. I’d booked there for Empire Strikes Back until they had a change of heart three days before opening😳 Cancelled just after I’d booked my return train ticket for the trip🙄
My local is Crawley - I believe that excluding the central London cinemas it is the best performing cinema in the country. It normally enjoys a double-whammy of high attendance and high prices.

I‘ve rounded up the prices, they are £7.75, £10.75 and £12.75 no VAT so that is the equivalent if £9.30, £12.90 and £15.30 so not that much cheaper than new releases in normal times.

Cheers,

Nigel

Barrovian

My local is Crawley - I believe that excluding the central London cinemas it is the best performing cinema in the country. It normally enjoys a double-whammy of high attendance and high prices.

I‘ve rounded up the prices, they are £7.75, £10.75 and £12.75 no VAT so that is the equivalent if £9.30, £12.90 and £15.30 so not that much cheaper than new releases in normal times.

Cheers,

Nigel
To be honest, I’d happily pay full price, whatever they are showing just to help them keep going. My main problem is the imposition of masks. I don’t see why we can sit in a busy pub or restaurant all evening without a face covering, but we can’t have a large Coca Cola, a hot dog and some popcorn in a socially distanced cinema because with masks we won’t be able to without someone getting an attack of the vapours. Just don’t see the logic.

nheather

Distinguished Member
To be honest, I’d happily pay full price, whatever they are showing just to help them keep going. My main problem is the imposition of masks. I don’t see why we can sit in a busy pub or restaurant all evening without a face covering, but we can’t have a large Coca Cola, a hot dog and some popcorn in a socially distanced cinema because with masks we won’t be able to without someone getting an attack of the vapours. Just don’t see the logic.
There is nothing stopping you from paying full price if you want. There have always been those that say “I would happily do ......” when they think that option isn’t available.

But if you really mean it next time you go to the cinema, buy two seats for each one you need - that way you will be paying close to full price.

But what most people miss off when making grand gestures is the caveat “but why should I do it if everyone else isn’t”.

But as I said if you are genuine about wanting to save the industry and are happy to pay full price then just buy two seats for every one needed.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Its 'Mask Friday' today and I've got mine. Had them and been using them when going shopping for a week now. I've bought a pack of 10 and been given a few industrial respirator masks from a mate who works in the building trade. But I've found I have a problem.

I've found wearing these masks to be a nightmare because I wear glasses. So they fog up and cause blow back making my face go all hot and clampy. So I have to take them off and continue shopping with fuzzy vision, which is equally hard, but I'm still wearing them. In short, There is no way on gods earth I could sit in a cinema for 2 hours wearing a mask. Its just impossible or me.
If you mess around with the mask for a bit, there is a way to pull the mask closer Up to your eyes, align mask with the shape of your nose, and have the glasses ‘sit’ Snugly on the mask in a way which stops your breathing steaming up the lenses. I’ve more or less been able to perfect this because I wear one for work.

Barrovian

There is nothing stopping you from paying full price if you want. There have always been those that say “I would happily do ......” when they think that option isn’t available.

But if you really mean it next time you go to the cinema, buy two seats for each one you need - that way you will be paying close to full price.

But what most people miss off when making grand gestures is the caveat “but why should I do it if everyone else isn’t”.

But as I said if you are genuine about wanting to save the industry and are happy to pay full price then just buy two seats for every one needed.

Cheers,

Nigel
Grand gesture :laugh:I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so sarcastic about it. Maybe you just like an argument. My comment earlier was based on my quoted example of the Odeon Luxe, Leicester Square charging £12 for what would usually be a £40 plus seat and whichever way you look at it, £40 down to £12 is a vast reduction. But even if they hadn't reduced the price, I would still have gone.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Grand gesture :laugh:I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so sarcastic about it. Maybe you just like an argument. My comment earlier was based on my quoted example of the Odeon Luxe, Leicester Square charging £12 for what would usually be a £40 plus seat and whichever way you look at it, £40 down to £12 is a vast reduction. But even if they hadn't reduced the price, I would still have gone.
It was solely this

To be honest, I’d happily pay full price, whatever they are showing just to help them keep going.
Just pointing out that there is nothing stopping you paying pay price if you really would be happy to do so.

Cheers,

Nigel

Skull n Bones

I think it's Great we can even book tickets again. The cinema's need our support to survive, seems some have given up on them already tho.

nheather

Distinguished Member
It's poor that you can book tickets behind and I front of people
That is a common complaint on the Cineworld facebook.

My speculation:-

Pre Covid the IT system already had functionality to deal with gaps to the left and right - for a different purpose, so you could not leave just one seat gap. So I imagine it would be pretty easy and cheap to reconfigure that to enforce a two seat gap. But front and rear is more difficult, there is no current functionality to reconfigure plus the distance between rows varies with each screen. So my guess is Cineworld decided that it was just too much hard work and expense to enforce fore and aft separation. Poor show though.

Cheers,

Nigel

Skull n Bones

So my guess is Cineworld decided that it was just too much hard work and expense to enforce fore and aft separation. Poor show though.
I've yet to see any cinema block off seats in front and behind a booked seat. For our smaller screens, there would be more blocked seats than bookable, which would make it even more unprofitable for them.
Seating.jpg

nheather

Distinguished Member
I've yet to see any cinema block off seats in front and behind a booked seat. For our smaller screens, there would be more blocked seats than bookable, which would make it even more unprofitable for them.
View attachment 1345075
My local independent - this is for a screening in 7 days time, this isn’t because seats have been sold, this is pretty much before they start selling. This is separation done properly. I can appreciate the delicate balance separation and financial viability.

561F1E4E-CFED-447D-96F0-10EA209E25AE.jpeg

If you want to book more than two together you have to call them directly and they take all the names and addresses to ensure (as best they can) they are from the social bubble. They then fit them in removing other available seats if necessary.

Going to see Flash Gordon (4k) on Thursday, I’ll report back what it is like.

So it can be done, just that the big chains are choosing not to - and I do get the financial viability aspect.

And this is why I will pay to go to this independent but I have frozen my Cineworld membership.

Cheers,

Nigel

nheather

Distinguished Member
OK just asked in cineworld
Yes you can book in front and behind people they have been told thsts ok
And remask from the 8th if you are eating then take it off and put it back on when you are not eating or drinking
Would be interesting to hear the rationale - and of course they are not going to say that it breaches the separation rules. I'm guessing they will argue that the head and shoulders of the person in front is more than a metre away from the person behind. Absolutely in some of the screens, questionable in others.

Cheers,

Nigel