NEWS: Cineworld Cinemas to reopen by 10th July

VisionMan

Saw The Empire Strikes Back. :cool: Great movie. PQ was very so so.
Thats very disappointing to hear and would spoil it for me as as a family we watched our very first IMAX at Christmas and the quality of everything blew us away. :thumbsup: Star Wars of course.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Yup.

Had hoped to see the new ish 4K scan but this print looked very very dated.

Thinking of popping back to watch BTTF or Aliens in a couple of days. Wonder what condition those are in...

VisionMan

@domtheone

Query - Cineworld website (my local flick) states they won't be reopening until 31st July and with a vastly reduced capacity. Confused?

PlexShaw

Dom saw the film at a Showcase cinema.

Skull n Bones

Just back from the local Showcase.

Saw The Empire Strikes Back. :cool: Great movie. PQ was very so so.
That is disappointing as its the only film on near us worth watching, but will still go see it as never saw it at the cinema before.

Skull n Bones

2 out of the 3 cinemas near me have now reopened. Not bad, but both are bowling alley multiplexes, whereas the best cinema with the MAXX screens is still closed. Not ideal as 90% of films we watch are on on the MAXX, but it's a start.

Edit : just had an email to say the MAXX is opening it's doors on the 24th :D my poor back can't take too many showings at the bowling alley, need the recliners.

Last edited:

nheather

Distinguished Member
Grim reading but I fear it makes perfect sense. There is currently a lot of hopeful optimism, businesses trying their best to reopen. But with separation rules in place customers will be limited and it is hard to imagine any business surviving under those conditions.

And then there are the flare-ups. We are already seeing it in Spain, desperate to open for the tourism that the country depends upon, maybe poor reporting present the situation as healthier than it really was, but now we see flare-ups, whole regions going into lock-down, France considering closing its border with Spain.

And then you get the people in general, who still simply don’t get it. Given the opportunity to carefully resume some degree of normality, many go nuts.

With cinemas, what spacing distance are they using. There is a general misconception amongst the public that it is now 1m - that is not true, it is ‘one metre plus’ which means, “try to do at least 2m if you can, but otherwise you can do 1m PLUS an additional form of protection, such as masks”. So if cinemas are using 1m spacing the audience must be wearing masks - I wonder how many are.

Where I work we have been told that unless your job requires being on site we should expect to be working from home until an effective vaccine is widely available. At one site, the staff actually got this in letters stating that the return to work date may be as late as December 2021 (that is not a typo). I’m an IT Consultant so that is partly business as usual for me, but it is hard to imagine how they can sustain that without what they call business restructuring (and we call redundancies).

Back to Cineworld, my wife, son and I have decided to freeze our Unlimited accounts in the meantime paying as we go for anything that we ’must’ see (like Tenet). But we can’t do this yet as we must wait until their customer service centre opens - with 12 days to go it‘s not open yet - half expecting it to be open a day or two before and the lines will be jammed.

Nigel

WarHog

My wife renewed my Unlimited membership in March, just before this all started. I haven't yet activated my membership, and I'm in no rush to do so, but does anyone know how long you have to activate it?

Fillumgeek

Bleak reading but makes sense, the studios want 90% capacity to get their money back.
Be interesting to see what Disney does with Black Widow, there hardly seems to many slots to release it next year. Disney+ anyone?

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Bleak reading but makes sense, the studios want 90% capacity to get their money back.
Be interesting to see what Disney does with Black Widow, there hardly seems to many slots to release it next year. Disney+ anyone?
Judging by this article there might be some release slots opening up for 2021, as the continuing difficulties they’re having with filming and production in Hollywood could see a few movies unable to wrap up in time.

mazon27091

Out of those of you who have actually been to the cinema recently are the screenings full to capacity (after social distancing measures) or just a few people? I ask to get a better picture of whether an audience is returning to the cinema in numbers.

PlexShaw

Out of those of you who have actually been to the cinema recently are the screenings full to capacity (after social distancing measures) or just a few people? I ask to get a better picture of whether an audience is returning to the cinema in numbers.
I've seen 3 films so far at a local Odeon - one new (Saint Frances) and two old (Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and The Goonies) and all of them had about 5 people in the screening including myself. I'm planning to see the Black and White version of Parasite at the weekend, so will be curious to see how many turn up to that.

Vila

Hand sanitiser and social distancing are all very well but would be a lot happier at the prospect if they'd enforce viewers wearing masks in the cinemas.

cinema.gif

nheather

Distinguished Member
Hand sanitiser and social distancing are all very well but would be a lot happier at the prospect if they'd enforce viewers wearing masks in the cinemas.

View attachment 1338193
This was the reason for my question. There is a common misconception that the required separation distance is 1m when it is actually 1m plus.

Even then some think that 1m plus means at least 1m.

But it actually means separate by at least 2m where possible but if not, you can do 1m plus another form of appropriate protection.

So 1m plus means 1m with face masks, otherwise 2m.

I also find it kind of bizarre that face masks are compulsory in shops, with a fine of £100 is not followed but not in a cinema with many people sit in the same room for over two hours.

Cheers,

Nigel

Vila

But it actually means separate by at least 2m where possible but if not, you can do 1m plus another form of appropriate protection.

Ive seen several research papers done on contact tracing in restaurants and planes / buses.

People have been infected from well over 2 meters away in enclosed spaces (possibly even more so with air conditioning system)

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 17.21.42.png

To sit indoors for 2+ hours with people talking laughing, coughing, sneezing and talking seem's pretty fudgeing dumb to not make people wear masks 🤷‍♂️

Fillumgeek

Ive seen several research papers done on contact tracing in restaurants and planes / buses.

People have been infected from well over 2 meters away in enclosed spaces (possibly even more so with air conditioning system)

View attachment 1338219

To sit indoors for 2+ hours with people talking laughing, coughing, sneezing and talking seem's pretty fudgeing dumb to not make people wear masks 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, it seems there is a common-sense disconnect there.

For the people talking, first warning is one clean sniper shot through the shoulder.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Looking like AMC/Cineworld are going to delay reopening in the US.

Disney have now pulled all releases - they have given everything, including Mulan, indefinite release dates.

Would not be surprised if Cineworld in the UK follows suit - we are just a week from reopening, and yet nothing to book, the call centre is still closed.

Maybe cinemas are rethinking whether opening in 2020 on just golden oldies is a viable proposition. Not so bad when the blockbusters were coming through but that it is looking more and more doubtful that there will be any big films released this year.

Cheers,

Nigel

Skull n Bones

I'll be happy if they continue to show older blockbuster/classic films from now til whenever. There was only a handful of films coming out this year I wanted to watch, Tenet being the main one, but I'll be happy with Inception as a replacement. Must be hundreds of films available to show, of all different genres, to keep everyone happy.

From our best cinema homepage :

Your cinema trip will look a little bit different including; Perspex screens placed strategically throughout the cinema, additional signage, reduced number of guests per show, and a reduced number of shows per day so there is less cross-over between our customers.

Don't know what more they can do honestly, as they need customers to stay in business, and no better way to watch a film than in the right cinema.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I’ve just booked to see Flash Gordon (4k) at my local independent.

They are doing things properly in my opinion. 2m separation between bubbles. A clear statement that groups can only sit together if they are in the same social bubble (household). Everyone must leave their contact details, not just the booker. They only allow booking of singles and doubles - if you want a group then you have to contact them in person and confirm that that everyone in the group is from the same bubble - of course the group could lie but then they will have to leave fake contact details aswell.

Cheers,

Nigel

VisionMan

Its 'Mask Friday' today and I've got mine. Had them and been using them when going shopping for a week now. I've bought a pack of 10 and been given a few industrial respirator masks from a mate who works in the building trade. But I've found I have a problem.

I've found wearing these masks to be a nightmare because I wear glasses. So they fog up and cause blow back making my face go all hot and clampy. So I have to take them off and continue shopping with fuzzy vision, which is equally hard, but I'm still wearing them. In short, There is no way on gods earth I could sit in a cinema for 2 hours wearing a mask. Its just impossible or me.

Sainsbury's and Asda, have said they will not enforce the new mask rules due to fear of staff abuse/violence against them which has already happened. And the police have said they are there to enforce the streets, not the shops, as they don't have the manpower to do so. Which is true. This virus is really scaring many (including me) as is some peoples nonchalant attitude to it. They scare me more than the virus.