News Channel Precautions?

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by rodd1000, Nov 7, 2018.

1. rodd1000

rodd1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Hi guys, looking at picking up a 65” oled soon but wanted to know the best way to minimise impact of watching news channels on an oled. I do tend to default to sky news if nothing else worth watching. Does lowering contrast and brightness help or is that just wishful thinking? Or am I best off forgetting oled altogether and going with a decent led? Any advice appreciated.

2. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +801
    the main problem, if you tend to leave the tv on the news channels, are the ticker bars. You could zoom in on the picture so that those bars are off screen. Essentially, you want to avoid bright, solid colours that do not change on screen. Sky Sports News are a good example of this, where they use only the top left corner of the screen for video and the rest for graphics.

3. rodd1000

rodd1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Cheers, sorry for coming across a bit dense but do all oleds have this zoom function? I asked the sales staff in Currys but it was dismissed as scaremongering rubbish, then he sort of contradicted himself and said sports and news should be watched in eco mode to lower brightness and contrast which protects the TV. Feel very confused to be honest.

4. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +801
    My LG does and I'm sure I've seen other posts on here confirming Sony can do the same.

5. Andrew1472

Andrew1472

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,456
    I suppose lower brightness and contrast may delay the onset of burn, but that’s awful advice.
    The ticker bars will burn in eventually. Zooming is the only solution. There is of course a picture quality hit doing that, as well as remembering to zoom it every time.

6. mad steve

mad steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +776

The good old scaremongering tactic, but in all honesty, if you watch a lot of news and it's your goto channel you would probably get burn in sooner or later,.. And the fact people are advising you to zoom out the piture to protect the tv, really should tell you something..

It's your money, but going by what you've said, I'd class your viewing habits At very high risk for Oled.. Just my opinion from someone who as had burn in off sky sports soccer Saturday news.