NEWS: Canton Smart Soundbar 10 adds Dolby Atmos

No DTS X and no eARC. unless these can be added by firmware I feel this might be a missed opportunity, I hope I'm wrong as everything else about it looks perfect on paper and well priced against the samsung q90r/q80r.

Very odd decision tho not to add DTS X when you go to the trouble of adding upward firing speakers.

3 hdmi inputs though, why can't Samsung manage that?

I'm curious, my Yamaha ysp2700 is aging :rotfl:

Yamaha are over due, for a flagship soundbar update, their YSP-5600 has 3 HDMI ports, but only 1 is HDCP 2.2

3 hdmi inputs though, why can't Samsung manage that?

I'm curious, my Yamaha ysp2700 is aging :rotfl:
I used to have a Yamaha YSP 2500 soundbar before i went the AVR 5.1.2 rout and it was a great soundbar with 3 HDMI input which a lot of the new expensive Dolby Atmos soundbars don`t have. It means you can input 3 full lossless atmos devices stright into the soundbar eARC does`nt really matter because all the streaming services netflix and amazon stream in lossy atmos which ordinary arc can use. I thinks its about time Yamaha released a new dolby atmos soundbar with the latest spec and it would be a great seller.

Have you seen the matching sub for sale anywhere?

I just received the Soundbar 10, had a Bose 700 so wanted to compare. I found the Bose easy to set up, however the sound was somehow uninvolving, it lacked bass and was quite flat. The Canton is extremely well built, easily as good as the Bose, pretty easy to set up I currently have Arc to my GZ1000, ATV and Xbox to tv and Sky Q direct to the bar. Remote is small and well built (metal construction). The soundbar really needs running in for 15-20 hours but initial impressions the sound is far more detailed and involving than the Bose. far better bass without any sub attached. I'll comment further when I have run it in and proper time to play. There are a few quirks, it won't recognise Atmos on the internal netflix or prime apps, shows as Dolby Digital+, Sky Q would only play Dolby Digital+ for Atmos, and the netflix app the same. Once I connected Sky box directly to the Soundbar it plays Atmos correctly. Apple TV works fine connected to the TV and correctly plays Atmos from all apps. I'll carry on investigating and do further testing.

Yamaha are over due, for a flagship soundbar update, their YSP-5600 has 3 HDMI ports, but only 1 is HDCP 2.2
The YSP5600 has 4 HDMI ports. It uses the same chassis as the discontinued YSP4100/5100.

Clem

There are a few quirks, it won't recognise Atmos on the internal netflix or prime apps, shows as Dolby Digital+

Isn't that the case with most TV's, do they pass HD sound from the TV?

Can it pass-through HDR10+?
Was thinking of connecting the new "fire tv cube" to the bar, and seeing if it can pass-through HDR10+ streams from amazon video...

I reached out to one of their reps an this is what they had to say: "We're currently in the certification process of HDR and Dolby Vision. Soundbar 10 should definitely support HDR10 plus as well"

I just received the Soundbar 10, had a Bose 700 so wanted to compare. I found the Bose easy to set up, however the sound was somehow uninvolving, it lacked bass and was quite flat. The Canton is extremely well built, easily as good as the Bose, pretty easy to set up I currently have Arc to my GZ1000, ATV and Xbox to tv and Sky Q direct to the bar. Remote is small and well built (metal construction). The soundbar really needs running in for 15-20 hours but initial impressions the sound is far more detailed and involving than the Bose. far better bass without any sub attached. I'll comment further when I have run it in and proper time to play. There are a few quirks, it won't recognise Atmos on the internal netflix or prime apps, shows as Dolby Digital+, Sky Q would only play Dolby Digital+ for Atmos, and the netflix app the same. Once I connected Sky box directly to the Soundbar it plays Atmos correctly. Apple TV works fine connected to the TV and correctly plays Atmos from all apps. I'll carry on investigating and do further testing.

strange that you're getting Apple TV to play atmos whilst its connected to the TV, I thought it would have to be connected to the soundbar for atmos to occur, and then it would pass dolby vision/hdr to the tv...

strange that you're getting Apple TV to play atmos whilst its connected to the TV, I thought it would have to be connected to the soundbar for atmos to occur, and then it would pass dolby vision/hdr to the tv...
Yep 100% get Atmos via ATV while connected to tv. Only reason I haven't connected Apple TV directly to the Soundbar as it currently cannot pass DTV, thanks to your news seems like that will be sorted shortly.

Quick update, so far very happy with the quality of this Soundbar. I added the 2 rears which has added an enormous depth and stage to the sound quality. It is obvious Canton know how to deliver top notch sound quality, so much better than the Bose 700 I had. The lip sync is spot on and no sound drop outs. Just waiting for the DV update. It's not a cheap system but more than happy with it.

Quick update, so far very happy with the quality of this Soundbar. I added the 2 rears which has added an enormous depth and stage to the sound quality. It is obvious Canton know how to deliver top notch sound quality, so much better than the Bose 700 I had. The lip sync is spot on and no sound drop outs. Just waiting for the DV update. It's not a cheap system but more than happy with it.

What rears are you using?

The Smart Soundbox 3,I can also use them as standalones or stereo speakers. You can also add speakers to the front and use the soundbar as a centre channel, it is extremely versitile.

Nope, base is actually decent haven't felt I have needed it yet. Nice to have the option if I fancy it at a later date.

Hmm I am interested in this sound bar, looks well made and great sound, German precision? I had a 5.1 system but times have changed and I need something compact and greater than tv speakers. I got shot down on Reddit for asking for recommendations. Why would you want to waste money on glorified speakers etc? Well, I have my reasons, I used to own a pretty good budget setup 10 years ago so I know what good sound is. However I am not convinced you can mimic Atmos or any other Dolby HD etc that well with soundbars. Marketing hype and placebo affect perhaps? At the end of the day I want a decent speaker set, minimal clutter. I am eagerly awaiting reviews, I'll happily pay if it is good quality product but I am not fussed about soundbars replicating 5.1 any more than I am about headphones doing virtual surround sound.

I find the sound quality excellent, build quality is premium using the same material as expensive speakers. Canton excel in speakers so it makes sense for this to sound good, they aren't a tech company so seem to be coming from the sound point of view. The bass is good far better than the Bose 700 I had and the sound far more involiving and richer. I also like the flexibility that you can build a system around it if you want, I have 2 wireless rears which sound superb, I could use them for the front and make the soundbar the centre or just add 2 more and then a sub for a fully immersive system, I'm more than happy as it stands and with them also adding dolby vision pass through and potentially HDR10+ in future it caters for everything I require.
Not sure if this will get much marketing in the UK and for some reason no one seems to be reviewing them yet, bsaically I took a punt on the previews and the Canton name.

@JustinL Interested in this soundbar as an upgrade for a Beam, like the fact you can add the subwoofer and rears like Sonos. Have you played any DTS X material through the bar? As it doesn't support it what does it actually play?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom