Quantcast

NEWS: Britbox UK adds Thunderbirds among classic kids TV shows

THX1138UK

I know BritBox is popular in the US - and it makes sense there as there's virtually no other source of British Television programming (BBC America is very 'American' and they make edits when showing British programmes for content and timing reasons).

But I don't really see the need for BritBox here. BBC iPlayer and Channel 4 have a wealth of boxsets available, and 'Dave' shows most of the classic stuff on a fairly frequent basis. Although, things like 'Thunderbirds', 'Doctor Who' and 'Blakes 7' could be a big draw - but I suspect many people already own these on DVD/Blu-ray.

It'll be interesting to see how this subscription service does. It's good timing with the lockdown...

Regards,
James.

Barrovian

It would be nice to see Thunderbirds in 4:3 HD, as opposed to the awful cropped 16:9 blu-ray abomination we've been lumbered with here in the UK.

VisionMan

Britbox launched early on YouView. It was meant to be in testing for a number of weeks but then they launched it with no warning mid-trial. Its a bit buggy, to say the least.

JabbaNut

They need Joe 90, Stingray, Super Car, Fireball XL5,Captain Scarlet, UFO, Space 1999 , Terror Hawks and Space Precint.

Young children love the strings puppets, thats the special effects to them.

THX1138UK

We're lucky that Gerry Anderson ran an independent company and chose to film all of his most influential serials on high-grade 35" film. If he had worked directly for the BBC or one of the ITV companies, then he would probably have used 16mm film and/or video.

I'm sure his connections with ITC and Lew Grade (who also ran the ATV franchise) were influential in the 35" film choice. Lew Grade understood the American market and knew things had to look good to sell.

The 'Space 1999' Blu-rays box-sets released by 'Network' a few years ago look absolutely superb (and these are in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio).

Regards,
James.

Barrovian

We're lucky that Gerry Anderson ran an independent company and chose to film all of his most influential serials on high-grade 35" film. If he had worked directly for the BBC or one of the ITV companies, then he would probably have used 16mm film and/or video.

I'm sure his connections with ITC and Lew Grade (who also ran the ATV franchise) were influential in the 35" film choice. Lew Grade understood the American market and knew things had to look good to sell.

The 'Space 1999' Blu-rays box-sets released by 'Network' a few years ago look absolutely superb (and these are in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio).

Regards,
James.
Agreed @THX1138UK, the Network Blu-rays are superb. I just wish they could get their hands on "Thunderbirds."

THX1138UK

Top Bottom