NEWS: BritBox streaming service goes live in UK with Channel 4 now on board

I suppose a lot of it would be tied up in rights clearances.

Also George & Mildred was made by Thames who ceased to be part of ITV in 1993.

Signed up to this as Samsung are offering a 3 month free deal. Have to say initial impressions very disappointing. Where's the likes of Tenko, George & Mildred, Bad Girls, Civvies, Our Friends in The North, The Lakes, etc., etc?
I share your views on this, for an archival service it’s a curiosity as it’s not that archival at all, probably when the Doctor Who classics are added later this month it will get some more subscribers and that in turn might prompt a bit more content going up.

Have the Liver Birds, Bread, Butterflies and Blake's 7 been put on there?

Having a Samsung TV thought I might as well give it a go, 90 days for free. First impressions, in my opinion the picture quality is good and no DOGs.

As for the content, so far I've only checked out the comedy, it does seem to have more BBC series. Would like to see a few more classic ITV series.

Full HD? What about DD5.1 audio on known sources of material?

Clem

George and Mildred, On the Buses, Man About the House, Saint, Sweeney, Minder, Professionals, Morse, are all on ITV 4.

I suggested 5.1 audio to them and they thought it was a good idea. Would be for Film 4/C4 movies etc.

I also suggested The Generation Game too.

Certain other older classics are only on DVD.

Last edited:
Unfortunately one of the by-products of this service appears to be that some programmes on it are no longer available to buy on other services. Spooks now only has a couple of seasons to buy on iTunes, none on Amazon Prime, nothing on iPlayer, but everything is on Britbox.

Which just makes me think I'll take-up a months' free trial, watch it then cancel the trial. But if it was available to buy from a streaming service I'd happily pony up the cash.

I bought the first five seasons on iTunes a while ago, was planning to pick up the rest at some point, but 6-8 disappeared about a year ago, 9 and 10 are currently still on there.

I have no problem with them being on Britbox, but don’t see why they still can’t be for sale elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm sure I had a couple of them bought from iTunes but have a lot of the original DVDs gathering dust in the loft somewhere. Its just a PITA to find them & rip them - I'm surprised they're not for sale anywhere as surely its easy/bonus money on top of anything they'll get from streaming on Britbox?

Interesting news today about Channel 4 coming onboard....

Assuming they end up with their whole back catalogue on there, as well as the Beeb and ITV, its going to be one less reason to have Netflix for me. Things like Better Call Saul I can just buy on iTunes for example.

Unfortunately one of the by-products of this service appears to be that some programmes on it are no longer available to buy on other services. Spooks now only has a couple of seasons to buy on iTunes, none on Amazon Prime, nothing on iPlayer, but everything is on Britbox.

Which just makes me think I'll take-up a months' free trial, watch it then cancel the trial. But if it was available to buy from a streaming service I'd happily pony up the cash.

Spooks is back on Iplayer.

Over a thousand hours of Channel 4 content will be added to BritBox in the next three years which will include The Inbetweeners, Peep Show, Father Ted, The Accident, Misfits and Deadwater Fell, all within the next month.

As more content is added to Britbox, more will be withdrawn from other platforms in exactly the same way Disney have done.

I noticed that over the weekend. I wonder what their strategy is with stuff like this or if its gone out the window a wee bit due to the current situation.

The reason everything hasn't appeared on Britbox at the same time is simply licensing issues for content has been licenced for other platforms to show. Once those rights expire they will appear on Britbox exclusively. Though for now a lot of overlap will occur. Two current examples I can give are Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes, as they are available on both the iPlayer and Britbox.

Here’s the full list of Channel 4's box sets landing on BritBox in April…

The Inbetweeners
Peep Show
Spaced
Friday Night Dinner
This Way Up
Father Ted
Crashing
Chewing Gum
Brass Eye
Back
No Offence
The Accident
Married at First Sight
The Virtues
Toast of London
Black Books
Raised by Wolves
Nathan Barley
Year of the Rabbit
My Mad Fat Diary
Ackley Bridge
Smack the Pony
Stath Lets Flats
GameFace
Misfits
Deadwater Fell
Kiri

I noticed that over the weekend. I wonder what their strategy is with stuff like this or if its gone out the window a wee bit due to the current situation.

Spooks is from an independent producer. I have been watching some episodes on Drama recently.

So I think this is not going to be a Britbox exclusive.

You can watch random early Dr Who stories on airy.tv. Shown with adverts . Channel 75 TV Shows.

That wasn't the question. Can you answer the question? Because I certainly don't know.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom