NEWS: Bowers & Wilkins announces new 800 D4 Series speakers

As a B&W lover, i have no doubt these will be impresssive and i’d love to know where any of them could be auditioned in Kent, but I would travel many miles before i part with my hard-earned.

However, what do peeps think about their use in a home theatre room, 7.2.4

So beautiful but so wife unfriendly :p

I still use B&W 805 signatures for L&R (had to sell the HTM1 to pay for a divorce).

Still love them but is it just me or is £30,000 for a pair of speakers really extracting the urine?

Yes, I get the expensive R&D and exotic materials but twice what I paid for my car ?????

Disappointed in the revised styling. I really don’t want metal plates and leather spoiling the beautiful colours and finishes of these speakers. I had been saving up with the notion of being able to afford a pair of 805s next year but don’t think I’d go for the D4, especially with yet another price rise. And what is with the pricing of the stands? It is just a few bits of metal for crying out loud!

Being sensible I mostly use headphones these days anyway so makes more sense to “invest” my money that way. To which end, I just treated myself to an RME ADI-2 DAC FS 😀

As a B&W lover, i have no doubt these will be impresssive and i’d love to know where any of them could be auditioned in Kent, but I would travel many miles before i part with my hard-earned.

However, what do peeps think about their use in a home theatre room, 7.2.4
40k+ spend to pair with a 65" oled and a 720p PJ.

OK....

Have B&W all around in home cinema, older 800 series in front.
This new series is way too expensive to even consider:( I paid less for my 803D2 than the new 805 costs now...And 803D2 is a hefty big speaker.

Last edited:
Yep agree, all the fuss is around the price hikes…it’s not justified - R&D is a natural part of their evolution; otherwise just what are they doing for six years inbetween each refresh?!

Relating to the 805 Stand, why are they using the same rectangular base and not mimicking the rounded base/plinth like the rest of the Range (lazy profiteering) - I’ll bet the Subwoofers will also still be square boxes…

REL seem to also be taking the mickey with their T9X

Last edited:
D4 Factory video

Last edited:
40k+ spend to pair with a 65" oled and a 720p PJ.

OK....
Wow - been a while since i posted here, now i recall the snobbery of some so called disguinshed members.

Tis actually for a new theatre room im in the early stages of planning…. Current kit will be relegated to bedrooms. But thanks for your help & advice.

At which point do improvements in SQ become… subjective?

I still have with me a pair of MA PL100IIs which, I think, are in the same ballpark as the previous generation, the B&W 805 D3.

As you can see from my signature and picture, I‘m using a pair of the much cheaper ATC SCM11s that I consider to have a superior SQ to the MAs despite the price difference: mids and treble are more detailed and natural and the bass is also more defined, just lacking in body (that’s the only aspect in which they fall short in comparison to the MAs).

Even the review of the PL100IIs here on avreview mentions that they are “a true taste of the high end at an almost reasonable price”. Somehow I feel I should be more impressed than I ever was.

Have I become too demanding in my expectations, or does really SQ become subjective from a certain price point on?

At which point do improvements in SQ become… subjective?

I still have with me a pair of MA PL100IIs which, I think, are in the same ballpark as the previous generation, the B&W 805 D3.

As you can see from my signature and picture, I‘m using a pair of the much cheaper ATC SCM11s that I consider to have a superior SQ to the MAs despite the price difference: mids and treble are more detailed and natural and the bass is also more defined, just lacking in body (that’s the only aspect in which they fall short in comparison to the MAs).

Even the review of the PL100IIs here on avreview mentions that they are “a true taste of the high end at an almost reasonable price”. Somehow I feel I should be more impressed than I ever was.

Have I become too demanding in my expectations, or does really SQ become subjective from a certain price point on?
A friend has those ATC’s, attached to a Cyrus stack in a small sitting room, have to say i was mightily impressed and concur with your assessment on the mids and treble, so I would have to nod in agreement that perhaps yes, past a certain PP, some of us don’t have the ears to differentiate, however the eye candy part does.

I still have my 802 D2 which I purchased in 2013 for under 10 K. I feel not smug but lucky. I could not even dream of being able to buy now on these prices. They are wonderful speakers.

Those are great speakers and wish I’d got those instead of my 805D3; cost the same Used!! Argh

I have the 802 D3's but can't see why I'd bother to 'upgrade' to a 10" D01. At the time, I thought the price for 2" more was mental and spent on bigger subs.
The 802 D3s were 16k (I never paid that), so 6.5K now more and let's face it, the new ones aren't going to sound that appreciably different.
IMHO I think anyone considering B&W now would be better off going for the previous gen as it runs out of stock and/or ex display.
Evolution not revolution, unlike last time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom