Quantcast

NEWS: Bose to close all retail stores in Europe, North America, Australia and Japan

dBrowne

Renowned audio company, Bose - most closely associated with premium speakers and headphones by consumers
Were they ever really? I always saw those shopping mall outlets as aspiring to pull in the Bang & Olufsen crowd, but offering products with all the design aesthetic and quality of Wallmart. And I say this having had one of their car stereos in the eighties and an Acoustimas boombox in the nineties.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Renowned audio company, Bose - most closely associated with premium speakers and headphones by consumers - really?

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
They had shops? Why? Someone may ask for a demo!

They should have stuck with peddling their 'stuff' via the Sunday newspaper supplements and payment schemes.

peahead

Can't say i have ever seen a Bose store in my life and never owned a Bose product either.Only place i have ever seen them pushing there products is on QVC the shopping channel lol.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
There‘s a shop in Meadowhall, I’ve never had any urge to go inside despite my hifi habit, and I must’ve walked past it half a dozen times on Tuesday. Bose just doesn’t interest me at all.

jont

interesting ... the most powerful noise-cancelling demo I had was in a Bose store many years ago and bought some over the ear headphones as a result (I was travelling to US and back a fair bit for work). I've been through a few pairs over the years and still rate them for sound and comfort. Their soundboxes, radios and micro-speakers/woofer units were impressive but over-priced.

LicensedTaximan

I believe there is a store in Regent street central London on the west side but no doubt to be closed unless it's already shut down. But whether the store in Brompton road (Knightsbridge) is still there i'm not quite sure.

gringottsdirect

Wonder how many customers visited a BOSE store for a demonstration and advice then proceeded to buy online ?

Possibly the impact of this move will be much more negative than they predict.

Cheshire Oaks store sold my neighbour £4k of BOSE when she went in for a soundbar. She would have never of done that online, she would have just bought a soundbar. In fact, she probably would have bought a Samsung to match her TV.

On a separate note, anybody that works in Marks & Spencers might want to reflect on the wording of the BOSE statement.
The last visits to M&S the store staff suggested I go home to order from their website to benefit from a Sparks card discount.
Talking themselves out of a job perhaps.

Ditto everywhere else doing similar.

jakimp

no issue with Bose closing - the sound system in my car is a Bose set up and is OK but I have never been in a Bose shop

the bigger issue I guess is when there are no stores to go and buy the stuff we care about - are we supposed to buy large TV sets without seeing them in action or expensive speakers without hearing them

what happens when all we have to go are youtube vids and professional reviews neither of which are always at all impartial?

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
no issue with Bose closing - the sound system in my car is a Bose set up and is OK but I have never been in a Bose shop

the bigger issue I guess is when there are no stores to go and buy the stuff we care about - are we supposed to buy large TV sets without seeing them in action or expensive speakers without hearing them

what happens when all we have to go are youtube vids and professional reviews neither of which are always at all impartial?
This.

I don't mind buying online if I have to, but I'd rather not. Trying to arrange delivery to me or worse, trying to send something a 65" TV back or speakers etc is not something I rely want to go through.

I doubt Curry's PC world are going anywhere, but you never know. Otherwise its a trip to Brum or London for those times you want something that isn't a TV or soundbar

SpuddybabyUK

I wonder if this includes the North American outlet shops too?

I picked up at pair of QC35 II in the Orlando outlets in November for $170, and I wish I’d got my wife a pair as well now, was going to pick some more up later this year...

xxGBHxx

This.

I don't mind buying online if I have to, but I'd rather not. Trying to arrange delivery to me or worse, trying to send something a 65" TV back or speakers etc is not something I rely want to go through.

I doubt Curry's PC world are going anywhere, but you never know. Otherwise its a trip to Brum or London for those times you want something that isn't a TV or soundbar
Problem is it's a catch 22 for the stores. They have to pay for the premises and staff but users now being more "savvy" than ever even if they do go into store they still just buy online at the cheapest possible price they can. So as a retail store you get all the costs and none of the sales. The interesting thing here is I wouldn't expect that to be the case for a single brand store. If you go into a Bose store and get sold on a Bose product then the margin will be higher for Bose selling in their store but ultimately they get the revenue whether someone buys online or in store. Clearly though they've crunched the figures, done footfall reviews and figured out there's just not enough money in it to warrant keeping them open.

Personally couldn't give a monkeys about Bose as to me they've always been overpriced tat. Then again I'm not into lifestyle audio or lifestyle tech in general so it's not aimed at me but appreciate there's a market for it.

G

Erik D

Novice Member
Whatever my feeling towards Bose as a brand might be, I do feel really sorry for the employeees!
It's not really surprising, though: The Bose shops are not only feeling the impact from the general crisis in physical retail but also from the fact that their product are available in virtually all other electronics shops as well: Here in Stuttgart we do have a Bose store (lots of people here with more money than taste it seems :)). The question is why? within, say, 500 metres there is at least 3 other shops selling the exact same products and offering direct comparisons to competing products so from a buyers' perspective, there is little point visiting a one trick pony.
It's basically a sound business decision.

nobby

as stated above their QC headphones are pretty decent and i also have a pair of their sports use earphones as well. both are good products and compare well to other brands.

i bought the Acoustimass III series speaker system back in the day and still have it. it was pretty decent quality and used the system for years in my bedroom due to the small footprint for 'wife purposes'! I am no Bose fan i think they do some product really well then other stuff is just heavily priced for what they offer.

its a shame considering the amount of stores being closed but as a lot of people have commented i hav not visited a store for a very long time and over here in NI the last store closed many years ago anyway.

Good luck to any of the employees on here

THX1138UK

It's another sad reflection of high street retail being unable to compete. Generally the British are very price focused, and less bothered about great service. Also, town centre parking is expensive and spaces are often limited - which puts people off.

Although, I think in the case of Bose, the general public now favour Sonos and see them as the natural successor for small, multi-room audio products.

My girlfriend purchased a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones from the Bose store in Leeds Trinity Centre in September. The staff were really helpful, and priced matched the Amazon online price.

It's worth reflecting on just how much things had changed in a sort period of time. Growing up, my local town (which economically still does better than many) had 2 independent record shops, 2 independent computer shops, an independent Hi-Fi shop, a hardware store, Rumbelows, Dixons, Currys, Granada and the heart of the town had a thriving Woolworths. Every shop that closes gets replaced with a fashion shop, charity shop or restaurant/bar.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:

keithwiggins

Bose products in general are a marvel of marketing rather than design. That said there headphones are quite good but for far less money bettered by many, I owned a system of theirs in the 90s small speakers with a sub, in fact you can probably credit them with creating the entire sub/sat genre. They used to sell some quite good high end speakers in the 80s such as the 901s which were semi omnidirectional , so they invented atmos as well or was that Sonab?
yes I am that old! Shame for the staff, bought some headphones from them at Mcarthur glen a few years ago for my wife she seems happy with them.
Style before content in the main, they are very well rated in the US so will probably contract there stores ultimately to there home markets.

mushii

It's another sad reflection of high street retail being unable to complete. Generally the British are very price focused, and less bothered about great service
The problem is that in general British retail customer service, generally is one notch up from TalkTalk's. We have no idea how to do 'good customer service' on the high street. we don't offer the same level of training as say the US do. Typical example - I have made 9 visits to my local Richer Sounds in the past 12 months. My local Currys even worse. between them they lost out on over £10k of sales, which I bought on-line. Shoddy, rude, unknowledgeable and incompetent is how I rate most of the high street retailers - they do not deserve people's custom. I don't mind paying a premium for great customer service, but I am struggling to find it in the retail chains. JL used to be great, but they are generally staffed by overbearing, arrogant used-car salesmen who are argumentative and combative with customers who dont necessarily agree that their new £6k TV is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. High streets need to go back to school and learn how to treat customers, how to be knowledgeable about their products and stop selling £10 HDMI cables with a £100 price tag and praying on the elderly and un-knowledgeable to boost their sales figures with over-priced garbage. I have ZERO sympathy.

Last edited by a moderator:

geogan

Similar i suppose to when there were "Sony Centres" everywhere which only sold Sony stuff... disappeared years ago.

Strangely though, I would never really buy big electrical items like TVs, washing machines, fridges etc. online.... so the big shops like Curries PC World will probably do fine competing against online for those... but not for smaller items...

Last year I saw a gaming keyboard and PC World wanted €130 for it... saw it on Amazon for €90... they said they would not match Amazon... so I left it there and ordered it from Amazon.

But then this Christmas they got two LG TVs and a Nintendo Switch out of me... because prices are more or less same as online and convenience.

geogan

The problem is that in general British retail customer service, generally is one notch up from TalkTalk's. We have no idea how to do 'good customer service' on the high street. we don't offer the same level of training as say the US do. Typical example - I have made 9 visits to my local Richer Sounds in the past 12 months. Not once could they actually help me, they actually lied to me twice and never did I come away with a nice feeling. My local Currys even worse. between them they lost out on over £10k of sales, which I bought on-line. Shoddy, rude, unknowledgeable and incompetent is how I rate most of the high street retailers - they do not deserve people's custom. I don't mind paying a premium for great customer service, but I am struggling to find it in the retail chains. JL used to be great, but they are generally staffed by overbearing, arrogant used-car salesmen who are argumentative and combative with customers who dont necessarily agree that their new £6k TV is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. High streets need to go back to school and learn how to treat customers, how to be knowledgeable about their products and stop selling £10 HDMI cables with a £100 price tag and praying on the elderly and un-knowledgeable to boost their sales figures with over-priced garbage. I have ZERO sympathy.
Yeah I agree... continuing on from what I said above... when I about to buy the two LG TVs in one city centre PC World.... I asked the sales guy... "do I get a discount if I buy two TVs" and he just blankly replied NO. So I only bought one, I got the second one in a different branch a while later. Thinking about it now... I should have so OK, and went to some other sales guy and bought the TV off him instead (if they still get commission, i don't know).

And yes the £100 cables are a joke... you just know you are contributing £90 to the monthly rental of the giant warehouse as part of that.. but less knowledgeable people are getting ripped off royally.

Though on the other hand, once all retail competition is shut down, Jeff Bezos will be rubbing his hands, and all Amazon £10 cables will suddenly become £30 cables ;)

Last edited:

mushii

I would also suggest that those people who have disparaging remarks about Bose's competency ought to read some of Dr Amar Bose's work. He was both an Electrical and a Sound Engineer and lectured at MIT for a number of years in those fields.. The guy is actually an audio genius. He chose a different path for a number of reasons. Now I may not like his products personally, but he probably had as much, if not more, expertise than many highly thought of UK Hifi companies.

keithwiggins

He did, but he is sadly dead and the marketing boys now rule the roost. Re you point on Currys et al, agree I always were possible try to seek out an independent, problem is very few left.

big boss

Renowned audio company, Bose - most closely associated with premium speakers and headphones by consumers - really?
They're not wrong. There is a strong perception amongst consumers (we on the forum are a minority group) that Bose speakers are the best. Many colleagues and friends have come to me for advice on which is the best Bose speaker......I then invite them to my house to listen to my system and explain my thoughts about Bose.

mushii

So we make fun of Bose but fill our houses with Sonos, Alexa, Apple et al which IMHO follow a very similar model to what Bose did/does with their Vee shaped DSP sound but that is OK, because they are smart and BOSE is fair game? We are a fickle bunch and very selective on what is acceptable and what isnt. The sound quality of a Bose lifestyle system is no worse than a couple of Sonos speakers (and costs very similar) but Sonos is a hip-cool lifestyle product for hipsters and apple fanbois, so its OK to use them.

Oscar26

I am sure bank or harity shop will take new place , it is so sad , just big online shop like amazon take control over all market

Trending threads

Latest News

Disney CEO Bob Iger steps down
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Quantum Dot development could mean cheaper displays
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix launches daily top ten rankings
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
OLED TV sales exceed one million in Q4 2019