NEWS: Bond's No Time To Die to be moved again?

MGM is looking for sellers everywhere and Apple maybe the one who wants to pay the outrageous fee.
Not a good call in my opinion just wait until things settle down in Autumn. Covid 19 will not go away but after the vaccination campagne it will be easier to see our movies in theaters where there should been watched. Releasing it on an Apple is only good getting it the illegal way through piracy.
See what happened with WW84.

Never hurts to ask :D

Perhaps MGM were hoping to bank a big fee prior to sale ?

!

The stories in the trades that as much as 600 million dollars was being asked for what was effectively a one year lease didn’t make a lot of sense. The big two streamers involved both knew that M.G.M needed the money badly and the offer was laughable, chances are that if they wait a while they might be able to buy the whole thing.

Come on Sony. Paramount. Universal. Do us all a favour.

Apple and Disney can do one.

Too late for Bond. Whilst it won't flop, I expect the box office will be well below desired levels now unless they hold it back for years.

No hurry to see this, although I'm interested. Let it sit until things are more normal (As in, most have been injected with the vaccine - I don't expect human behaviour to improve and move things along at this stage)

I have no plans to go back to the cinema any time soon so I’d rather it was released digitally so that I can watch it on my own big screen.

I have no plans to go back to the cinema any time soon so I’d rather it was released digitally so that I can watch it on my own big screen.

And what about the disastrous effect that would have on the cinema industry?

As this rate there won't be any cinemas left to show any films when they eventually decide to release them.

And what about the disastrous effect that would have on the cinema industry?

As this rate there won't be any cinemas left to show any films when they eventually decide to release them.
I can’t see the cinema industry surviving. If they keep delaying, the cinemas won’t survive, if they release digitally the cinemas won’t survive.

At some point the have to start releasing films in one format or another.

Never been much of a cinema goer myself, so no great loss to me. Rather watch at home on bluray. No idiots, pause button, silence, darkness etc etc

As for Bond....long played out I'm afraid. Just another action thriller now. Bourne was/is better in a way.

I think MGM have only two options, sell it to a streaming platform for a huge fee (not likely given the amount they want and the limited nature the exclusivity gives the platform once piracy takes hold) or wait until things get back to some sense of normailty and release it theatricaly. Once the bulk of the population is vacinated I think people will go back to cinemas, maybe not as many as before but certainly more than we had last summer.

Both Tenet and WW84 have shown that releasing theatricaly too soon and premium PPV will not make enough money to make a profit. It's going to take a hit whatever they do but it's a case of finding the best option to keep the loss to a minimum.

I do miss the cinema experience however it has been on the decline for years now. Too many people talking, texting or doing anything other than watching the movie have made it less enjoyable.

At the same time the home cinema experience has improved dramatically with 4K movies, larger screens and immersive audio and possibly the single biggest change being the growth in streaming services. For many people that alone is reason not to go to the cinema, especially when you consider how much it costs an average family to watch one film compared to a months subscription to Netflix or Disney+.

I read they turned down a $300m offer from
Apple. They may end up regretting that. Premium rentals are massively overpriced and there’s no way they’ll make the $500m equivalent at the cinema.

Once Bond is officially pushed to the Autumn, following Spidey spin off Morbius, and the Sopranos prequel now delayed again, I can't see anything much hanging onto an early to mid summer date. Fully expecting the likes of Ghostbusters : Afterlife, Top Gun 2, Shang-Chi, Fast 9 and Black Widow to all face another delay, or end up on streaming plartforms...

Agreed. Licence to Kill, literally at the moment :(

Given that this year could go either way, the cinema releases could jepodise each other and what was a major release could just be swamped. So delaying again is not a bad move. However,

With my tinfoil hat on, I just think MGM are trying to pull the wool over our eyes and want maximum box office before everyone hears that this film sucks and the franchise is in a worse state than the Star Wars films

I just cannot see this film making decent money now. Of all the film studios that I assume don't have money in the bank MGM is at the top, so any move by them is highly suspicious imo.

Come on Sony. Paramount. Universal. Do us all a favour.

Apple and Disney can do one.
Wow that's quite a opinion. Bizzare but whatever.

No one is going to go anywhere near this. Its MGM's problem and no studio/streaming service is going want to bale out MGM on a Bond film no one wanted to be any part of.

Never been much of a cinema goer myself, so no great loss to me. Rather watch at home on bluray. No idiots, pause button, silence, darkness etc etc

As for Bond....long played out I'm afraid. Just another action thriller now. Bourne was/is better in a way.
But the thing is Bond hasn't played out. Both SKYFALL and SPECTRE made the kind of figures inflation related that the Bond's haven't made since the height of the 60s films. The Craig films have been incredibly popular both artistically and commercially. Plus for the first time the film has been shot partly on IMAX cameras for maximum big screen impact. That's why they are holding out.

But the thing is Bond hasn't played out. Both SKYFALL and SPECTRE made the kind of figures inflation related that the Bond's haven't made since the height of the 60s films. The Craig films have been incredibly popular both artistically and commercially. Plus for the first time the film has been shot partly on IMAX cameras for maximum big screen impact. That's why they are holding out.
Got to agree. Seems to have been a number of Films in recent years that got panned critically and by purists, but still did very well thank you at the Box Office. And, end of Day, these Companies are there to make a profit

Whether someone likes it or not, there‘s no going back to pre-COVID for cinemas in 2021, 2022 or ever, the party is over.

I'm not sure why people seem to eager to see the collapse of the cinema industry (which up until CV had been doing very well), with the loss of tens of thousands of jobs. And let's be clear about one thing, in that scenario it wouldn't just be cinemas, it would be the events industry, the theatre industry and the music industry.

It's all nonsense if you ask me anyway. I went to the cinema to see Tenet (and glad I did) and there were plenty of people there. People are probably more put off by the masks and stuff imo. Once all that is gone it will be back to normal.

As I'm hard of hearing I don't really care about going to the cinema, happy to sit at home and watch with subtitles for when I need them which with a Christopher Nolan movie is pretty much all the time.

However, I realise, the death of cinema would be the death of movies as we know them, $250Million+ Blockbuster movies aren't going to be profitable from streaming rentals and disc/digital sales.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom