NEWS: BenQ introduces W2700 4K HDR Projector with more to come...

The 2700 looks like the sweet spot, but as they are using 2nd generation 0.47 Chipsets (The grey outline of old models has supposedly gone) you can be certain that all the other manufactures (Optoma, Acer etc.) will also have 2nd generation offerings in the wings, so looks like entry level 4K DCI-P3 projectors are the thing for 2019.

Bill

Also not mentioned the top two projectors will be calibrated along with a certificate.

I will be interested to see how the calibration holds up under scrutiny.

I don't think this is quite right:

"The W2700’s short throw design means that it can be set up as close as 5 cm from a wall and still project a 90-inch diagonal image"

This appears to have a throw ratio of 1.13 to 1.47, which makes it very close to that of the Benq W1070, not ultra short throw as the article suggests.

I'm interested in this one though as it seems to have the shortest throw distance of any faux-4K projector released so for and has 1920x1080 3D which a lot of the other don't.

Very interested in the W2700 as an upgrade for my current W2000. 4K with no grey bars, WCG, a dynamic iris for better black levels and 3D support, with living-room friendly looks makes it seem ideal for my needs. - in fact almost sounds too good to be true. My heart wants to bang a pre-order in now, but my head is telling me to wait for the usual thorough AVF review....

Very interested in the W2700 as an upgrade for my current W2000. 4K with no grey bars, WCG, a dynamic iris for better black levels and 3D support, with living-room friendly looks makes it seem ideal for my needs. - in fact almost sounds too good to be true. My heart wants to bang a pre-order in now, but my head is telling me to wait for the usual thorough AVF review....
I'm still rocking my trusty W1070 and have a new bulb to get through..I've been tempted with the epson 7400 for a while, this sounds great though and I've never had any complaints against the W1070.

I'm still rocking my trusty W1070 and have a new bulb to get through..I've been tempted with the epson 7400 for a while, this sounds great though and I've never had any complaints against the W1070.

Yes i have the W1070 my first projector, i thought would not work in my small living room but got it on sale and never looked back. Fantastic

Yip, me too. My w1070 needed replacing a long time ago and this could be a nice solution to that problem.

Hopefully there'll be a meaningful fan noise reduction over the W1070, although I'm used to it now, it's still annoying on quiet scenes. Luckily most films I watch are pretty noisy :)

I don't think this is quite right:

"The W2700’s short throw design means that it can be set up as close as 5 cm from a wall and still project a 90-inch diagonal image"

This appears to have a throw ratio of 1.13 to 1.47, which makes it very close to that of the Benq W1070, not ultra short throw as the article suggests.

I'm interested in this one though as it seems to have the shortest throw distance of any faux-4K projector released so for and has 1920x1080 3D which a lot of the other don't.

Could that be 5'?

Could that be 5'?
I don’t think so. The throw looks very similar to to the W1070 that I am running at the moment and that needs a minimum of just under 8’ to fill my 92” screen.

We’ll see, but either way it is nice to finally have a short(er) throw option in the 4K projector range.

Guys I replaced the w1070 I had for a few years with an Optoma uhd300x. I too thought the w1070 was amazing but now realise how limited the colours and resolution was. Night and day difference. The blue green of oceans was the first thing I noticed.
I went from 120 inch diagonal at 3m throw to 115 inch. Barely any drop.
As for fan it's whisper quiet. 1m over head. All I lost was 3D for the 1 a month 3D film watch I gained 4k HDR which is more preferable.
For 899 from Amazon it was a bargain.
Just saying there are options out there that already exist.

Guys I replaced the w1070 I had for a few years with an Optoma uhd300x. I too thought the w1070 was amazing but now realise how limited the colours and resolution was. Night and day difference. The blue green of oceans was the first thing I noticed.
As for fan it's whisper quiet. 1m over head. All I lost was 3D for the 1 a month 3D film watch I gained 4k HDR which is more preferable.

Nearly had me convinced, as I'm after an upgrade, until I read "no 3D"...I have a 12yo Daughter who would disown me if she couldn't watch her 3D movies :)

Nearly had me convinced, as I'm after an upgrade, until I read "no 3D"...I have a 12yo Daughter who would disown me if she couldn't watch her 3D movies :)
I watched loads but they always seemed dark especially when compared to the non 3D. Glass were a pain too. Not a faff I miss now

I would disown myself if I couldn't watch my 3D movies.

That looks like a good option, but wouldn't work for everyone.

This actually has a slightly shorter throw than the W1070 at 1.13, compared to 1.15. The Optoma is slightly longer still at 1.21.

I've got a 92" screen which the W1070 just about fills at the distance I can project from, and it would be difficult to get anything slightly smaller in my case.

3D is another point. I actually watch less than one 3D film a month on average, but I have got a big collection I might want to watch, and I definitely wouldn't do so if it meant keeping the W1070 (and remounting it every time).

The UHD300x is definitely attractive for most though, and a fair bit cheaper than the new Benq.

Last edited:
For the money you'll get for your w1070, keeping for the odd 3D is definitely an option
it can do 3D via a pc, just not via xbox or blu ray player
For the money you'll get for your w1070, keeping for the odd 3D is definitely an option

My W1070 just went pop last week and I sent it back to Richer Sounds under warranty, benQ say its not worth / cannot be fixed so I am now looking at the Optoma 330x or UHD40 but now this comes out! Is this the time of year new projectors appear? Should I wait? I am tempted to move to Optoma because I hear they are very quiet, better blacks etc. than BenQ.

I wonder if RS will be selling off all their present stuff pretty soon then, may wait a few weeks and get a bargain. I noticed in December the UHD40 was going for £949 Optoma UHD40 Probably the best projector under a grand that’s 4K (shifting) £999 **Now £949** @ Richer Sounds - hotukdeals

but is up at £1200 at present.

I'm looking forward to those Projectors coming out

Been reading all evening and even tweeted benq about release dates prices etc. One site says march release another says start of April. Will the w2700 be at a premium though for months

Last edited:
Morning all,

I was all set to go for the Optoma UHD40 around the bank holiday weekend, when the price would have probably come down to a grand as it has in the past. However, I came across this projector, which is getting positive feedback.
This has got the missus excited too as this can do 3D! ;)

Thing is I don't know much about 3D, and would appreciate if someone can clarify if this can output 3D without any special requirement, i.e. PC, any emitter for the glasses etc? I understand I'll need a 3D capable Blu Ray player along with 3D Blu Ray disks and active glasses but do I need anything else?

Thanks

Thing is I don't know much about 3D, and would appreciate if someone can clarify if this can output 3D without any special requirement, i.e. PC, any emitter for the glasses etc? I understand I'll need a 3D capable Blu Ray player along with 3D Blu Ray disks and active glasses but do I need anything else?

Thanks

There shouldn't be anything else required as the W2700 has native 3D compatibility. When you run a 3D Blu-ray or MKV, the projector should automatically go into 3D mode and you can just put your 3D glasses on and watch the content in 3D.

There are projectors (like the UHD300X mentioned earlier in this thread) that are 2D but can display 3D non-natively using a PC source. I didn't know this was possible before reading the guides on here, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for non-experts!

There shouldn't be anything else required as the W2700 has native 3D compatibility. When you run a 3D Blu-ray or MKV, the projector should automatically go into 3D mode and you can just put your 3D glasses on and watch the content in 3D.

There are projectors (like the UHD300X mentioned earlier in this thread) that are 2D but can display 3D non-natively using a PC source. I didn't know this was possible before reading the guides on here, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for non-experts!

Also the BenQ and most other DLP projectors use standard DLP-Link 3D glasses which means pretty much any brand will work, and no separate transmitter is required. The sync for the 3D glasses is done by the projector adding red flashes to the image which are read by a detector in the glasses.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom