Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

NEWS: BenQ announce TK800 4K DLP Home Entertainment Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil Hinton, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,386
    2. drmsa

drmsa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +36
      Doesn’t appear to be a short throw projector!
      I would love to get one to upgrade my BenQ W1070 for a 4K picture.
      Currently projecting 100inch from 2.3m.
      Anyone aware if any such thing is in the pipeline?

3. lgans316

lgans316

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,356
      Is this native 4K?

4. digger99

digger99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +32
      Just another budget 4k projector with shocking blacks.

5. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +85
      Shame it’s not a short throw could replace a w1080st

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,722
      It's just another pixel shifter with misleading marketing. This time it's using a 1080 DMD but throwing the pixels up more times per frame than the other higher res '4K' DMDs, so getting 8.3m pixels on screen but not all at once and not discretely because they overlap, and just like normal DLP, we see the result of the overlap, not the discrete pixels that make up the resultant image pixels. That's why (other than rainbows) we don't see RGB pixels, we see the colour they make up from overlapping.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    7. mainaman

mainaman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +194
      Just 0.47" DMD and shifting the pixels four times.Guaranteed to have shocking blacks and sub-REC 709 coverage.Audio speaker!

Happy to see developments in the front projection market,but sales would heat up only when we see something like the Optoma UHZ65 for less than 2000 dollars street price.

8. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +202
      To be honest I think Benq have lost the plot in the last couple of years, as since they have moved out of the budget end (Where they still produce some of the best value for money projectors out there) their products have underperformed (Both Acer & Optoma are kicking their butts in DLP projection) with both the high end 4K products getting a lukewarm reception and if the podcast is anything to go by the 1700 model is no better. On the flip side, as a cupboard projector (Bring it out for the odd film and sports events) the new 800 is ideal, as apart from Zoom and focus there are no other image controls (Even the keystone (Something which no dedicated cinema projector would use except as a last resort) correction is automatic)

NOTE: The projectors meet the TECHNICAL 4K specification (8.3 million discrete pixels) as they CANNOT put all 2 (Or 4) discrete images on-screen at the same time, and it is the eye that combines them. (For some reason Peter Parker cannot accept that what the projector displays on- screen (The engineering part) is different to what the eye actually perceives)

Bill

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,722
      Wow, quite funny :)

Do you realise you have contradicted yourself in the first sentence, and don't understand what I posted above (and other threads on this topic) with your second sentence? :)

My understand is and always has been that we see overlapping sub pixels, not discrete pixels (just like normal DLP colour images). That was my position in the other threads and it hasn't changed (see my post above).

As for meeting 'the technical spec', what you are probably referring to is the CTA certification which even they don't seem to understand with respect to eshifted images. It was originally devised for flat panels and not projectors though that seems to have changed in later wording. However, they themselves have said it's pretty much a self certifying process and if you speak to the people at CTA about XPR they won't know what you are talking about, just like the few people who actually believe Ti's marketing.

As for what I can accept, well, you're just being dishonest - from the very beginning I've pointed out we don't see discrete pixels, we 'see' the result of the overlap on screen. That's been my position since day one. If you, as a self proclaimed engineer can prove we see discrete and not overlapping pixels then please describe how that works and with a picture. I'd love to see it :)

Do you think they place the pixels next to each other and without overlapping? That's the only way the pixels can remain discrete on screen. I can tell you why they don't do that but I'm waiting to see your reply.

10. mckee74

mckee74

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,134
      You really are the voice of doom.

What do you base this on, please?

11. digger99

digger99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +32
      I have tried and tested the current crops of 4k projector and they are rubbish, not bright enough and lacks decent colour etc for starters, my opinion but if you are happy with them that is all that matters for you.

12. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +202
      1. I have NEVER said that the eye sees the discrete pixels of the separate images (It cannot as the images appear too fast) I have only ever said that the eye combines the 2 images into 1. (Look up combines in the dictionary as you currently don’t seem to understand the concept)

2. Each flash of the mirror contains 4.15 million pixels and the 4K input is processed in such a way that by using 2 flashes (Each flash contains different information) you get 8.3 million discrete pixels, (2 x 4.15 = 8.3) where you are getting confused is that you think both flashes are on-screen at the same time, which is impossible, (They can only ever be separate) and it doesn’t matter whether the pixels of each image are in the same position or offset. (That is engineering fact)

Bill

13. mckee74

mckee74

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,134
      Um, okay. I just don't see how you can make a comment like that on something you haven't seen.

I'm not saying I'm not interested in your opinion when you have seen this projector but right now your comment is a tad bizarre. Anyhoo...

14. digger99

digger99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +32
      I have not seen this one correct, but I have seen the other models and this one is cheaper less spec so I would not expect it to be any better, basically all these budget 4k projectors are budget projectors with 4k content enabled. I would rather spend £1500 on a 75inch tv than keep one of these and enjoy the better quality. The only projectors worth having below 3grand are the Epson 3lcd models, they are brighter and colour has more punch otherwise get a big tv even the 85 inch budget cello tv will beat them for picture quality. Just my opinion and what I have seen.

15. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,722
      If we can't see 8.3 million discrete pixels as you ascertain then it's not a producing a 4K image accurate to the source and isn't a 4K display.

But in the other thread you did (more than once) because you didn't think the images overlapped, but couldn't explain how it could do that, despite asked many times for you to show us how the discrete pixels produced the image without overlapping:

Acer V9800 4K DLP Projector Review and Comments

And here:

Acer V9800 4K DLP Projector Review and Comments

And you say I'm confused...

We don't see 8.3 million discrete pixels on screen and the '4K' Ti chips cannot accurately display a UHD single pixel test pattern due to the overlap, so the image is not a true 4K image as you keep saying.

It may put 8.3 million pixels on screen in two sequential flashes (2 x 4.15), but they overlap at the corners so the visible pixels we see are no longer discrete. They're now 16 million sub pixels which can not be addressed discretely. The resultant image is not a 4K image.

A simple question for you now:

Do you think that the second flash overlaps the first or they are somehow layed side by side without overlapping?

16. Gilbers

Gilbers

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +157
      These '4K' DLP projectors most certainly CANNOT project a 4K image with discretely resolved pixels. The respected projector reviewer Art Feierman has this to say on the topic, in his review of the Optoma UHD60, which he describes as a '1528p pixel shift' design:

'A true 4K projector can resolve 3840 adjacent vertical lines each a different color. Both 1080p and 1528p pixel shifting resolutions will make total mush out of a test like that. '

17. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +243
      I suspect what's behind digger99's comments is that the technology used in all the recent crop of pseudo 4k projectors is the same DLP chips from Ti which simply can't deliver the same contrast or colour spectrum as the alternatives from JVC, Sony and Epson. It doesn't matter whether it's a Benq or Optoma or whoever. UHD bluray was about delivering a more colourful image (amongst other things) yet this projector by the manufacturer's own press release can't deliver more than 92% of the old standard let alone the new.

18. digger99

digger99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +32
      Yep just my point and I have seen them, an example I shot a Epson eh-tw6600 against a Optoma uhd60, the pop and colour was superior on the Epson the Optoma could not get near it, the eco mode was brighter on the Epson than the Optomas bright mode and the Acer M550 was even worse.