NEWS: BBC TV licence fee to rise £3 from April

Just move the BBC over to a subscription model.....then we’ll see who wants it! With the exception of its nature programming there’s not much there otherwise imo apart from its overpaid presenters, repeats and bias!
The sooner it goes the better.

Very simple to get rid off, take 5mins filling out an online form and you never hear from them again for 2yrs.. am i **** paying £157 to an organisation i have no love for, Youtube & netflix is all i need

Its days are numbered as things have changed considerably since it first came out, I would say basic news services will remain public and free (Like most broadcasters) and a subscription model for the rest.
Many BBC productions are shown worldwide and get a stack of awards (Bringing in a lot of money for them) so moving to Netflix style service is the most logical.

Bill

Not care how much it goes up, not paid for license for 7 years now.

As above they can put it up to £1000 a year if they like, I've not had a license for over 15 years and have no plans to buy one

Time to light the blue touch paper....

To assume or suggest the BBC is just about the popularity of the TV it produces is almost wilfully ignorant and to compare it to Netflix or Apple is comparing apples to subwoofers. The BBC is nothing whatsoever like Netflix or Apple and as a result is absolutely unique in the breadth and depth of the service it provides.

In some ways I look at the BBC in the same way I look at the NHS (though that is only a comparison in concept not in value or worth of course). It's paid through a "tax" we pay for its collective benefit. We all pay taxes for things we might not personally benefit from in the interests of the greater good. It's annoying, draining and in some cases unfair (I promise you I pay more tax into the system than I or my family will *EVER* get out of the system as I'm sure many here do) but it's either that or we all suffer either directly or indirectly.

I don't need or want the BBC to be another Netflix or Apple or God forbid another Channel 4 or ITV. It provides a huge amount of stuff that no commercial station would or could provide and much of it targetted locally. There are a million things it does wrong but likewise there are a million things it does right that no commercial model could or would ever be able to support.

This gives you a good oversight.

I can't see Netflix or Apple (or any commercial station for that matter) having learning, creativity and diversity as the core drivers for their entire existence. For them the only thing that matters is profit and as such they just focus on popularity to drive subs and to hell with anything else. Losing that diversity of content and focus in the drive for profits is not really a society I want to live in and if you had it, I suspect it isn't one any of us would want to live in.

G

Can't stand BBC and they try to put you in jail if you do not pay for them ??. Very politically motivated on morning news and like a great party of chatting regulars. Programming becoming more and more politically correct which makes it even worse and unrealistic for any dramas. Even period pieces like war of the worlds was politically correct which i attempted to watch and turned off. Even my old mum at 93 does not want it and now she has to pay them a licence ! Anyway I guess indeed the licence days are numbered, let's hope sooner than later and then people can actually have a choice

Time to light the blue touch paper....

To assume or suggest the BBC is just about the popularity of the TV it produces is almost wilfully ignorant and to compare it to Netflix or Apple is comparing apples to subwoofers. The BBC is nothing whatsoever like Netflix or Apple and as a result is absolutely unique in the breadth and depth of the service it provides.

In some ways I look at the BBC in the same way I look at the NHS (though that is only a comparison in concept not in value or worth of course). It's paid through a "tax" we pay for its collective benefit. We all pay taxes for things we might not personally benefit from in the interests of the greater good. It's annoying, draining and in some cases unfair (I promise you I pay more tax into the system than I or my family will *EVER* get out of the system as I'm sure many here do) but it's either that or we all suffer either directly or indirectly.

I don't need or want the BBC to be another Netflix or Apple or God forbid another Channel 4 or ITV. It provides a huge amount of stuff that no commercial station would or could provide and much of it targetted locally. There are a million things it does wrong but likewise there are a million things it does right that no commercial model could or would ever be able to support.

This gives you a good oversight.

I can't see Netflix or Apple (or any commercial station for that matter) having learning, creativity and diversity as the core drivers for their entire existence. For them the only thing that matters is profit and as such they just focus on popularity to drive subs and to hell with anything else. Losing that diversity of content and focus in the drive for profits is not really a society I want to live in and if you had it, I suspect it isn't one any of us would want to live in.

G

Agree with most of that. Unfortunately as with the heavy bias to leave for Brexit on this forum, it is the same with the anti BBC members so you'll likely find for more bashing the BBC than supporting it.

BBC does some great programming across the whole spectrum. I hate ITV with a passion, hardly ever watch anything on it. But I do enjoy the BBC. They have some good programmes on BBC4 too.

Agree with most of that. Unfortunately as with the heavy bias to leave for Brexit on this forum, it is the same with the anti BBC members so you'll likely find for more bashing the BBC than supporting it.

BBC does some great programming across the whole spectrum. I hate ITV with a passion, hardly ever watch anything on it. But I do enjoy the BBC. They have some good programmes on BBC4 too.
But the difference is you are not paying for ITV.....its a wholly commercial operation. With the BBC we are paying for something we don't want!
Here’s come context....
Amazon prime £79 per year
Netflix £96 per year
BBC £157.50 per year
where’s the value here?

Can't stand BBC and they try to put you in jail if you do not pay for them ??. Very politically motivated on morning news and like a great party of chatting regulars. Programming becoming more and more politically correct which makes it even worse and unrealistic for any dramas. Even period pieces like war of the worlds was politically correct which i attempted to watch and turned off. Even my old mum at 93 does not want it and now she has to pay them a licence ! Anyway I guess indeed the licence days are numbered, let's hope sooner than later and then people can actually have a choice
Couldn’t have put it better!

But the difference is you are not paying for ITV.....its a wholly commercial operation. With the BBC we are paying for something I don't want!
Here’s come context....
Netflix £96 per year
BBC £157.50 per year
where’s the value here?

As I said in my post , if you're equating the "value" of the BBC against Netflix or Prime you're just being wilfully ignorant or a troll. Show me the regional programming Prime or Netflix do or the educational programming or equivalent of Bitesize, or Good Food, or the radio stations they produce/broadcast, or the news they deliver the list just goes on and on.

If you must compare then I'd suggest that it's the value of Netflix that is questionable at £96 a year when they don't even come close to providing the breadth and locally focussed content that the BBC do.

G

I couldn't agree more.

Some of the BBC4 content is absolutely superb and I constantly stumble across little gems of programs or series on there that you simply don't get anywhere else either because they're so incredibly niche or just have very little mass appeal.

G

But the difference is you are not paying for ITV.....its a wholly commercial operation. With the BBC we are paying for something we don't want!
Here’s come context....
Netflix £96 per year
BBC £157.50 per year
where’s the value here?

Strange so far nobody has mentioned Sky
whats the cost of Sky?
For balance you would also need to add a proportion of the cost of your broadband or Data provider
as the BBC is mainly over the air unless built into the TV add the cost of a separate streaming device for the alternatives

Last edited:
As I said in my post , if you're equating the "value" of the BBC against Netflix or Prime you're just being wilfully ignorant or a troll. Show me the regional programming Prime or Netflix do or the educational programming or equivalent of Bitesize, or Good Food, or the radio stations they produce/broadcast, or the news they deliver the list just goes on and on.

If you must compare then I'd suggest that it's the value of Netflix that is questionable at £96 a year when they don't even come close to providing the breadth and locally focussed content that the BBC do.

G
As I said in my original post...there are a few things the BBC do well but mostly its rehashed old crap....Strictly Come Dancing, The Voice, Eastenders to name a few. Live sport is non existent bar the FA cup, Wimbledon, a bit of Snooker. They can’t compete with the big names like Sky, Netflix etc with blockbuster movies anymore. Christmas programming used to be something to look forward too but now it’s a turn off.
I’d also like to say that I am neither ‘wilfully ignorant’ nor a troll....I simply do not see the value that you see in the BBC. We can have different opinions. You stick to your BBC programmes and I’ll stick to Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV and Sky thanks.

I am not trying to say that it is all terrible but it is not fit for purpose, ie to receive a free donation from the public anymore. This was for the days when you needed a public broadcasting service and there were limited options and someone had to pay for it. Now people should have the choice. If they want to pay for it like netflix etc that's fine but using the criminal system to make people pay is really very odd in our modern world. I understand that they want to maintain the licence because going fully commercial is very scary for them, but hey this is the modern world

As I said in my original post...there are a few things the BBC do well but mostly its rehashed old crap....Strictly Come Dancing, The Voice, Eastenders to name a few. Live sport is non existent bar the FA cup, Wimbledon, a bit of Snooker. They can’t compete with the big names like Sky, Netflix etc with blockbuster movies anymore. Christmas programming used to be something to look forward too but now it’s a turn off.
I’d also like to say that I am neither ‘wilfully ignorant’ nor a troll....I simply do not see the value that you see in the BBC. We can have different opinions. You stick to your BBC programmes and I’ll stick to Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV and Sky thanks.
I have to say that I think Netflix is the best value, a lot of new stuff coming up. Amazon has good stuff but not as much. Sky probably best for variety but at a pretty serious cost comparatively. Not tried Apple, not sure if i can get it in the UK or not

Apple TV+ and iTunes movies are available on sticks and TV apps as is the upcoming Disney+
NowTv has the good stuff that you might find on Sky but at a reasonable price and available in HD.
Despite the quantity I dont find Netflix compelling esp. at £11.99.

Above all streaming services are optional and their content isnt becoming more and more a reflection of the views of the staff and executives of an organisation.

Apple TV+ and iTunes movies are available on sticks and TV apps as is the upcoming Disney+
NowTv has the good stuff that you might find on Sky but at a reasonable price and available in HD.
Despite the quantity I dont find Netflix compelling esp. at £11.99.

Above all streaming services are optional and their content isnt becoming more and more a reflection of the views of the staff and executives of an organisation.
Cool, thanks for the info. Never tried NowTV

An increase of £3 is neither here nor there; such an insignificant sum of money, particularly if I consider the value that I get from TV viewing. I'll happily pay it; the TV licence fee offers excellent value for money.

The BBC is a political brexit hating left lovies club these days.

Nothing at all like the NHS. Like apples and elephants, that comparrison.

The bbc gravy train needs killing.

The bbc are so hard up they just launched a free game.

Strange so far nobody has mentioned Sky
whats the cost of Sky?
For balance you would also need to add a proportion of the cost of your broadband or Data provider
as the BBC is mainly over the air unless built into the TV add the cost of a separate streaming device for the alternatives

The difference is, it's up to the individual if Sky represents value for money. If it doesn't you're free to cancel at any time. Not so the BBC.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom