• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

NEWS: BBC to stream FA Cup matches in 4K HDR

setthecontrols

Standard Member
It's good to see the BBC pushing the technology, BUT, I still can't get my local BBC North West in HD!
Sure, show the FA cup and perhaps some other one-offs in 4K but I wish they'd catch up with their unfinished business before doing more in this area.

carpman0401

As “set the controls “ says , we can’t even get HD on local north west news. The bbc are way behind for our area so I wont get too excited about this news regards the footie ⚽

Slinkywizard

Distinguished Member
Hmm... Apple TV compatibility would be nice.

Over by there

Hmm... Apple TV compatibility would be nice.
Not sure Apple can do HLG? Reading HDMI hardware is 2.0a and HLG is for 2.0b, or is that info wrong? Anyone?

Panasonic 820 disk player converts just nice though.

Slinkywizard

Distinguished Member
Not sure Apple can do HLG? Reading HDMI hardware is 2.0a and HLG is for 2.0b, or is that info wrong? Anyone?

Panasonic 820 disk player converts just nice though.

Interesting point. I don't know, but in the case of all other content if you don't have HDR (or the correct HDR), you'd still get the stream in 4K/50 – it'd play normally in SDR without the metadata. And being a projector user I couldn't give a hoot about HDR, but would love to experience a match or five in 4K/50.

Blupetros

As “set the controls “ says , we can’t even get HD on local north west news. The bbc are way behind for our area so I wont get too excited about this news regards the footie ⚽
You're not the only ones. Nobody gets local in HD as far as I know. I certainly don't (South East).

Over by there

Interesting point. I don't know, but in the case of all other content if you don't have HDR (or the correct HDR), you'd still get the stream in 4K/50 – it'd play normally in SDR without the metadata. And being a projector user I couldn't give a hoot about HDR, but would love to experience a match or five in 4K/50.
Problem is iPlayer. If they do not update it for Apple it does not appear.

The spec for HLG or HDR for broadcast (DVB-DASH, it is on line somewhere) I believe requires that the app/device strips whatever the version of HDR and just gives out SD 4K to the TV. I expect BBC are still trialling thus keeping the number of takers manageable on the network.

Shaun666

About bleeding time ! They've been running that game from last year's FA Cup on iplayer beta for over a year.

How about Line of Duty (and countless others) in 5.1 as well while they're at it.

cooperda

On my Samsung 2015 JU 6400 Series TV I know the TV doesn't 'do' HLG' and not the newest iPlayer App - but the Samsung UHD Blu-ray player I now have also has the BBC iPlayer as a built in App - so hoping that would feed the TV with the HLG signal ?

1080 jawbreaker

if your 4k tv is to old then forget about BBC iPlayer 4k Streaming, it wont be an option as the 4k compatible player wont get pushed to your smart tv. Couldn't give 2 hoots about prerecorded 4k content via iplayer as I would rather wait for the uhd bluray. External iplayer 4k content? im guessing they are to scared someone might recorded the HDMI output. There should be an option to view live content via stream or satellite though, plenty of 4k tv's with sat tuners built in. It works fine in Europe but if FTA would expose the broadcast to recording

Last edited:

Slinkywizard

Distinguished Member
if your 4k tv is to old then forget about BBC iPlayer 4k Streaming, it wont be an option as the 4k compatible player wont get pushed to your smart tv. Couldn't give 2 hoots about prerecorded 4k content via iplayer as I would rather wait for the uhd bluray. External iplayer 4k content? im guessing they are to scared someone might recorded the HDMI output. There should be an option to view live content via stream or satellite though, plenty of 4k tv's with sat tuners built in. It works fine in Europe but if FTA would expose the broadcast to recording

I run a native 4K projector that is HLG compatible, though I tend to keep HDR turned off and manage tone-mapping on the playback device. You may well be right about its choices at this stage. Hopefully, it’ll expand its compatibility to dedicated streamers soon.

quinnmar

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I wonder if they'll attempt 5.1 (or higher) this time?
The world cup games looked incredible but only had stereo audio.

anlygi

External iplayer 4k content? im guessing they are to scared someone might recorded the HDMI output.

You can get it on Virgin V6 boxes and you could get it on PS4 Pro during the World Cup. PS4 Pro doesn't seem to be on the list of compatible devices now, but Virgin V6 definitely still is.

@johngerard it was great, as was Wimbledon and Blue Planet II. Think it's around 40mbps at full quality if you've the bandwidth. Far better than anything I've streamed on Netflix.

Last edited:

StackH

What did anyone who received the World Cup 4K HLG stream think of it?
It looked really good. I streamed many of the 4K matches, never got refused a connection (they were running a quota I believe) and only one suffered a lot of stuttering. I ended up watching the terrestrial HD feed it was that bad, but all the others were fine. I had no stuttering at all with Wimbledon, although I only watched a few games.

I've been really impressed with the quality of the BBC 4K output (Dynasties was a highlight at Xmas time as well) but although I tend to watch the World Cup I'm not really that much of a football or tennis fan so I'd like to see more non-sport output. Some of the drama series would be great (Killing Eve, Line Of Duty etc.). As long as it's not Eastenders...

My TV is a Sony 65XF9005, fibre BB running at around 60-65Mb.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom