NEWS: BBC and ITV team up to take on Netflix

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by Phil Hinton, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Andy Bassett

Andy Bassett
      Standard Member Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +60
    2. Zigourney

Zigourney

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +289
      Thanks for the informative article Andy.

I don't need another monthly subscription service on top everything else, I already have Netflix and pay the BBC the annual TV license fee even though I hardly watch broadcast TV. I wont be paying another £5 a month for the best of British content, when a lot of that content is already available elsewhere.

3. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +805
      I will be watching with interested to see where it goes. I want to see more competition to the established few.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    4. andyj34

andyj34

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +29
      Totally agree with Zigourney that I also have a subscription to Netflix as well as Amazon Prime Video and I'm pi*sed off that I'm legally obliged to pay the BBC License for content that I rarely watch.

I wouldn't be surprised that all the UK TV stations (BBC, ITV, CH4 and CH5) will start pulling their content from competitors platforms such as Netflix and Amazon, in the bid to retain relevance in the market.

We're already witnessing a 'land grab' in that each studio/distributor is [now] launching their own streaming service. In the end I think it will simply encourage rampant piracy as very few people will be able to afford multiple subscription packages.

• Agree Agree x 19
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
      Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    5. JabbaNut

JabbaNut

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +246
      In the UK, they really should of worked on one service that pulls freesat and freeview together online, with a optional subscription service for on demand off air content.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    6. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +805
      Why is it a land grab? The content owners own the content. It is up to them what they do with it.

This was always going to happen with IPTV. In a way I think it needs it to settle what is what and hopefully push some streaming boundaries. It might even come up with a new way to manage subscriptions and make it easy. Or not.

Regards piracy, they have been doing since the early days of Sat TV etc. People going to steal, they will steal. It would be interesting to see some info to see if this does increase it. I have known a few people with the usual methods to get stuff FOC. They see saw it as harming no one so what was the issue. Usually recommended by someone down the pub or at the school gate when they dropped the kids off.

7. nheather

nheather
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,495
      Not a land grab I agree, but a growing trend. We are seeing quite a few studios who are looking at the success of their material on Netflix on saying "we should set up their own service instead". Disney are starting it which is why Marvel stuff is gradually coming to an end on Netflix. For a long time HBO have limited content on Netflix, as does BBC - in that they allow older seasons but not the newer ones and some not at all (like Game of Thrones).

The possible problem is that ITV and BBC will remove their material from Netflix and Prime so that it is exclusive on their service - but then nobody buys their service because there are too many and they end up losing all income.

Cheers,

Nigel

8. nheather

nheather
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,495
      Also, the report states that ITV are putting in an investment but nothing about the BBC.

I would hope that BBC will not be using any licence fee money for this - they should be absolutely transparent that any investment comes from their product and service sales income.

Cheers,

Nigel

9. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,202
      Aren't we already paying the BBC for the privilege of watching their programs? :mad::mad:

I'd be happier about this if they scrapped the (outdated) license fee.

10. Slinkywizard

Slinkywizard

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +401
      To compete with Netflix, British broadcasters really do need to address production values. Budgets are tighter at the Beeb than at Netflix, I get it, but to really compete, Doctor Who and many other shows are going to have to start looking as good as Lost In Space and Altered Carbon. Movie quality, basically. That's what they're up against, even if the other qualities of those Netflix shows are nothing to write home about.

This service is clearly aimed at America and other international territories. We already have access. It's called 'BritBox' for goodness sake. That's not a name designed to appeal to Brits.

11. theprestige

theprestige

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,489
      Nah, i'm alright.

A streaming service dedicated to classic channel 4 programmes from the 90s and early 00s would get my attention, however.

12. Chinstroke

Chinstroke

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +182
      Not me, I got rid of my license about a year ago and went streaming only (though not iplayer). And of course half a million plus households are doing the same each year. This I guess is a way to claw some of that lost revenue back

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    13. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33
      I assume you won't need a tv licence to watch Britbox

14. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +805
      I heard on R4 they will not be using licence fee money original content.

On BBC Radio 4 today program. 1 hour 20 mins or so in on catchup.
      Today - 27/02/2019 - BBC Sounds

It would be interesting if BBC stream 4k through this.

15. nheather

nheather
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,495
      Bet you will (well in the UK any way) and I wonder whether the government will try and use this as a mechanism to extend the licence fee to ALL streaming services.

Cheers,

Nigel

16. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,010
      This has got fail written all over it - not many are going to pay £5 per month for old stuff and if they do the novelty will soon wear off. New content is king and if the budget for original content is approx £65 million per year then that won't even make a splash.

That is without getting into the messy co-produced content and already licensed stuff that Netflix/Amazon have paid for/have the rights to. How much do both ITV and BBC stand to lose if Netflix/Amazon simply pull the plug on all that content??

I think I maybe watch 5 or 6 dramas on ITV per year and don't even look at most of their other guff made up of soaps and reality junk - they strike me as a channel that is spreading it's quality original content pretty thin as it is and really should concentrate on restoring their main channel to somewhere near it's former glories.

17. trivialsid

trivialsid

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      A mystery to me that two of the best things ever done, (Love hurts and it aint half hot mum) are shown 20 years ago and never seen since.

18. Hampy1972

Hampy1972

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +536
      Maybe if they stop paying millions to lefty footballers to present match of the day they could produce good quality TV.
      I don't see anyone challenging Netflix at the moment, they're the pioneers of steaming and fair play to them, they have invested a lot.

Most of us have both iplayer and Netflix and the interface is so slick on the netflix, I don't need to highlight I am over 16, a license payer or I am in the wrong country LOL!.

iplayer, they have tried to copy Netflix but it's too buggy, complicated and above all... SLOW!
      Press the remote 5 times for something to happen.

A complete overhaul is required and I am not even going to start on ITV adverts...

19. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,869
      Maybe someone should try explaining to the BBC and indeed ITV that the majority of Netflix's content cannot be accessed anywhere else but via Netflix's streaming service and orginated there. The majority of iPlayer's and the ITV Hub's content is basically catch up as opposed to original content.

The BBC may even have to face legal objections to a subscription based servic given that license fee payers paid for the content the BBC are wanting to now charge a subscription fee to view. It works as a concept abroad because the intended audience there are not already being charged by the BBC but those in the UK already pay and paid for this content to be made.

Do they honestly believe that people will cease subscribing to Netflix and start paying for what is basically a elongated catch up service? Just watch Dave or ITV2 and you'd eventually get the repeat anyway.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    20. Hampy1972

Hampy1972

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +536
      BBC should be privatized now, and the TV license fee should be abolished.
      You want BBC, you pay for it just like Netflix.. I bet the BBC waste goes down 10000%

21. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,869
      The BBC is mandated to offer certain aspects of what it broadcasts for free in return for the license fee revenue. How do you privatise it? You'd have to scrap it completely, sell off its assets and the UK would need to disendow itself of a public broadcasting service.

The BBC is supposed to cover current affairs and news articles without any chance of its funding influencing what it reports. Privatise it and the BBC can no longer be regarded as being impartial because its commercial funding will influence its agenda.

22. carpman0401

carpman0401
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5

23. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +805
      BBC is hobbled before it even gets its coat on. Netflix is up to its ears in debt (how much regional programming does it do?). Their gamble may work. They may fail. At the moment the shareholders are hopeful.

Lots on the horizon to try it on with streaming. Apple is pulling small change from the back of the sofa to try to do stuff and still counts that in billions. Going to be interesting which way it goes.

I don't think anyone at britbox expect people to give up Netflix.

24. carpman0401

carpman0401
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      Spot on . Couldn’t agree more.

25. carpman0401

carpman0401
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      Just what everyone needs.......re-runs of bargain hunt etc. What planet are the bbc and itv on .....?.?

26. John

John

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,258
      Doesn't Netflix have 150mil worldwide subscribers? That's a whole chunk of cash , even at the lowest subscription fee

27. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,869
      Well I think it unrealistic to expect people to subscribe to yet another service alongside the ever growing number of other services, not unless they only want to appeal to the upper middle classes and inordinately wealthy? The BBC probably already makes as much from licensing its content to other services such as Netflix as it will make from a subscription based service of its own? The issue is that not everyone will have the funds to subscribe to multiple streaming services all carrying just a handful of series they may occasionally want to watch. "It's only £? per month" becomes irrelevant if you are talking about multiple services all charging £? per month. I'd probably look at the Disney service before paying a £5 for old BBC and ITV content.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    28. Buckster666

Buckster666

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +494
      Cancel your TV licence, u can still legally watch ITV, Channel 4 and 5 via their Catch up/On Demand apps.

The BBC is nothing more than a propaganda machine anyway and covers up for peados.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    29. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,869
      Really? Which pilitical cause are they endorsing and what do you rely upon instead of it to get your impartially news coverage? I don't think paedophiles work exclusively for the BBC either? I do agree that they made mistakes relating to the Jimmy Saville affair though, but I don't think they are the only organisation to make such errors. Wasn't it the BBC's own Panarama that investigated Newsnight's failure to report on the accusations made against Jimmy Saville? They're not that good at covering things up are they or is that your complaint?

30. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +661
      Wonder if Netflix will start to broadcast local news programmes covering the local binmens' dispute?