NEWS: Bang & Olufsen launches Beosound Stage soundbar

Actually, because the Stage had reset itself I had to create my own sound settings again, which is always fatal as you start tweaking all over again too.

I'd previously had the default as NONE and just UPMIX on, but this time I turned on VIRTUALISE which widened and heightened the sound, but also had the unfortunate effect of creating masses of sibilance.

So I then turned the Treble down to -10 and that actually sounded pretty good! I'll try it tomorrow with the footie highlights and see if I've made it better or worse, at least it'll be fairly easy to change everything back.:)

Last edited:
Quick update: changed it back to my original sound settings.

As soon as you enable VIRTUALISE, it immediately boosts the Treble and thins the Bass. So you end up tweaking those to compensate (lowering Treble, boosting Bass) and it all gets a bit unbalanced just for the sake of an extra bit of presence.

It's not worth unbalancing the sound so much in my opinion, the Stage sounds best the least you mess with it.

Quick update: changed it back to my original sound settings.

As soon as you enable VIRTUALISE, it immediately boosts the Treble and thins the Bass. So you end up tweaking those to compensate (lowering Treble, boosting Bass) and it all gets a bit unbalanced just for the sake of an extra bit of presence.

It's not worth unbalancing the sound so much in my opinion, the Stage sounds best the least you mess with it.
Agree with that one Derek, guess its a bit like the days when people used to add graphic equalisers, they certainly allowed folk to change the sound output but often at the sake of fidelity.

Hi All
FYI. Since several months I had some erratic sound drop (no sync issue) when using my ATV 4K connected with HDMI directly to the stage. It was really related to ATV4K because when using my iPhone and airplay to play music no problem and no problem with my orange tv box connected to my TV (my TV is connected to the Stage with HDMI arc). I tried several time to power off the Stage and restart the ATV4K with no success. All app (Netflix, movies, Disney+,...) have the same issue.
I did ATV4K TVos 14 update but stil the issue. Today I realized that the stage did an update because my iOS app change slightly no more green color. I just watched a movie and no more drop sound :clap:

The spec sheet doesn't show DTS, though quite often the spec sheet is a bit inaccurate initially. It has inbuilt TuneIn for example, though its missing from the spec sheet.

As for 3.1/5.1, its a more standalone sound bar - I dont believe other speakers an be added on. That may sound limiting, but B&O's sound capabilities (in this case, some multi channel-ness and spatial Atmos soundstage) are usually pretty impressive.

Anyone know if DTS support exists for this? Will be viewing/listening to this in a showroom in the coming week

Anyone know if DTS support exists for this? Will be viewing/listening to this in a showroom in the coming week
i took this off the review on this site:

The Stage supports Dolby Atmos object-based audio, and uses psychoacoustic processing to create a more immersive aural experience from the soundbar’s three speakers. Sadly, there’s no decoding for DTS:X, although there's no reason why B&O couldn't add it via a firmware update if there's sufficient consumer demand. The limited availability of DTS:X content means that outside of AV enthusiasts, most people are largely unfamiliar with the format.
they havent added it since the review and as a format it gets little traction thus far.

It seems like DTS is losing support actually.
Samsung dropped dts from their tvs in 2018 and LG dropped dts support in 2020. But it seems like Dolby Vision & Atmos are gaining industry-wide support. Not sure what the reasons are, but that's the current state of DTS.

Latest update on my long (ish) running issue with low rumbling noises with speech.

I was contacted by B&O support a week or so ago to tell me that they have fixed the problem and have created a new firmware update (2.2.40830).

They pushed this out to my Stage earlier on in the week and so far so good - the problem seems to have been rectified. They also told me that the update would be released 'to the market' next week so you've all got that to look forward to! I don't have any release notes or further information though.

Latest update on my long (ish) running issue with low rumbling noises with speech.

I was contacted by B&O support a week or so ago to tell me that they have fixed the problem and have created a new firmware update (2.2.40830).

They pushed this out to my Stage earlier on in the week and so far so good - the problem seems to have been rectified. They also told me that the update would be released 'to the market' next week so you've all got that to look forward to! I don't have any release notes or further information though.
I hope a fw update will help, I have exactly the same issue and only with male voices when watching normal television.

Cool.

I hope a fw update will help, I have exactly the same issue and only with male voices when watching normal television.
strange old issue hopefully this new sw will solve for everyone that has the issue.

Does that mean they backtracked on the ‘it’s the wooden table you put it on’ line?

That's good to hear.
Can we all blame you if the latest firmware causes us an issue? 😉

That's exactly the problem I had. So far this new firmware appears to have fixed it, so fingers crossed it will do the same for you.

They seem very confident about it in their initial message to me:
Please be reassured that we resolved the problem with this new software, as we are not able to recreate the rumbling effect anymore when this software is installed on the product.

That's exactly the problem I had. So far this new firmware appears to have fixed it, so fingers crossed it will do the same for you.

Can’t wait until it’s released to us:)

Does that mean they backtracked on the ‘it’s the wooden table you put it on’ line?
Apparently so!

I actually ended up wall mounting it in desperation as I'd not heard anything from them for ages (and didn't want to have to send it back for good) but the problem was still there afterwards.

On the plus side I think the Stage looks (and sounds) much better on the wall.

On the downside, wall mounting it directly underneath the TV made my telly look dated, and so a new one arrives tomorrow!

In fairness to B&O support, in the end they came good and were always super polite. I take back all of the mean things I said about them when I was cross.

Apparently they solved this issue by switching the bass off 😳😉

Apparently they solved this issue by switching the bass off 😳😉
and only 40% of the mids, quite a result.

and only 40% of the mids, quite a result.
i think given the litany off issues i have read on these forums with other brands, most poor sods are pulling there hair out, so i think b&o seem to be slightly ahead of the curve, in fact if you read the stage threads, overall the rumbling effect seems to have impacted 2/3 owners and most folks have had pretty good experience's myself included.

i think given the litany off issues i have read on these forums with other brands, most poor sods are pulling there hair out, so i think b&o seem to be slightly ahead of the curve, in fact if you read the stage threads, overall the rumbling effect seems to have impacted 2/3 owners and most folks have had pretty good experience's myself included.
Definitely, at least B&O appear to have been pretty pro-active in solving the very few issues that have occurred. Plus as you say, it hasn't been everyone that has been affected.
Overall I think the Stage has been very solid.

Yes, agreed. While I admit to knowing nothing whatsoever about the post-production engineering strategy of any speaker manufacturer, I get the impression that B&O are better than most in that respect.

Yeah, I agree with you. I set mine up in May and haven't had to fiddle with anything. I turn the TV on/off and everything just works via eARC.

No issues or complaints with the Stage, the B&O app... now that's another matter altogether... 😂😂

Hello
Since last iOS tv update 14, Netflix app sound is no more lpcm but pcm. But atmos still working. Do you have the same issue ?

Hello
Since last iOS tv update 14, Netflix app sound is no more lpcm but pcm. But atmos still working. Do you have the same issue ?
Saw the same but since a couple of weeks I mainly use the Shield because Kodi is way more customizable and I can also incorporate my music collection.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom