NEWS: Bang & Olufsen launches Beosound Stage soundbar

Sound settings query!

In the app (and the remote) it lists the Listening Modes (TV, Music, Movie, Night and None) - any recommendations?

Also, there are further personalisation options in the app: Upmix, Virtualise and LFE - what are the differences please? As is the modern way, they list these items but don't explain what they are!

Ideally, I'd keep all the DSP off, but I'd also like a high and wide sound image, not something just restricted to in front of the screen itself. This is mainly for TV broadcasts, either live or pre-recorded. I'm not going to use the Stage for either Blu-Ray's or gaming as I already have 5.1.4 for those.

Thanks!
Hi Derek, its down to personnel preference really. that said i tend to for normal tv viewing select none and turn all the upmix stuff off , i just find it, for me adds an artificial edge to spoken voices in particular. I also select that setting for Music i find the music setting plain nasty.
So for listening to say a Bluray or something thats more entertainment driven i use Movies with Uppmix and virtualise on, i have tried Lfe but didnt notice any benefit so i leave it off, The Upmix virtualise are there to enhance the atmos experience.
just spend some time listening to varies sources , play around a bit until u find what you like.

Sound settings query!

In the app (and the remote) it lists the Listening Modes (TV, Music, Movie, Night and None) - any recommendations?

Also, there are further personalisation options in the app: Upmix, Virtualise and LFE - what are the differences please? As is the modern way, they list these items but don't explain what they are!

Ideally, I'd keep all the DSP off, but I'd also like a high and wide sound image, not something just restricted to in front of the screen itself. This is mainly for TV broadcasts, either live or pre-recorded. I'm not going to use the Stage for either Blu-Ray's or gaming as I already have 5.1.4 for those.

Thanks!
My recommendation is to take a look at the user guide here, adjust the settings using what you learn from there and enjoy the great sound you'll get! Start in the Listening Modes section of that guide.

I'm currently running in the bar via some radio station or other as the Treble sounds a bit sharp. Anyway, I was thinking about the difference between "old tech" (something bought in 2015) and new tech (something bought last week).

Paradigm Soundscape (2015):
Connect Optical cable to TV
Connect power cable
Switch on using supplied remote

B&O Stage (2020):
Download app
Connect to Wi-Fi
Update software
Inform app of bar orientation
Connect HDMI
Connect power cable
Pair remote*
Enable remote to switch on TV*
Enable TV to communicate with Stage via HDMI*

*These are just applicable to me, I admit.

Now I've got to experiment with the Listening Modes. And this is progress?!

Last edited:
Thank you, an actual explanation of what each thing means!
This image might help too. I wasn’t able to see Low bass, High Treble, Low treble and High bass when I first used this. I found it helpful, anyway!
AD11530D-C108-4E4A-BFE2-43914FE29BA5.jpeg

I dont use mine with a v6 thats in the bedroom, i use a sky q box i do though have the hub mentioned. I have a samsung q70r.
Luckily for me and fingers x everything connected fine and continues to do so, hopefully it will be an easy fix for the dealer.

Thanks.

The dealer came round today with a test unit. It connected straight away. It still has the lip sync issue just not quite as bad.

Anyway they are replacing the unit and speaking to tech support for any advice on lip sync.

Cheers

Ross

I'm currently running in the bar via some radio station or other as the Treble sounds a bit sharp. Anyway, I was thinking about the difference between "old tech" (something bought in 2015) and new tech (something bought last week).

Paradigm Soundscape (2015):
Connect Optical cable to TV
Connect power cable
Switch on using supplied remote

B&O Stage (2020):
Download app
Connect to Wi-Fi
Update software
Inform app of bar orientation
Connect HDMI
Connect power cable
Pair remote*
Enable remote to switch on TV*
Enable TV to communicate with Stage via HDMI*

*These are just applicable to me, I admit.

Now I've got to experiment with the Listening Modes. And this is progress?!
welcome to the brave new world.

Hi Derek, its down to personnel preference really. that said i tend to for normal tv viewing select none and turn all the upmix stuff off , i just find it, for me adds an artificial edge to spoken voices in particular. I also select that setting for Music i find the music setting plain nasty.
So for listening to say a Bluray or something thats more entertainment driven i use Movies with Uppmix and virtualise on, i have tried Lfe but didnt notice any benefit so i leave it off, The Upmix virtualise are there to enhance the atmos experience.
just spend some time listening to varies sources , play around a bit until u find what you like.
Keith - thanks for providing this.

I agree: the most balanced sound (i.e. the one that doesn't emphasise any frequency over another) is NONE.

TV seems to boost the Centre channel and bring speech to the front of the mix.
MUSIC just sounds weird and unbalanced.
NIGHT LISTENING might be useful for those people with kids or thin walls, but it dramatically flattens the dynamic range and I'd never use it.
MOVIE is probably the most dynamic DSP and works well if you're looking for scale and impact.

I've left UPMIX off because I don't think it works well for general TV viewing, but VIRTUALISE is good! It definitely widens and heightens the sound without diminishing dialogue.

@RustyTheSnowman has posted additional available settings in #555, but I haven't bothered with those as I think it just unnecessarily complicates things.

Finally, because I'm not accessing the app using a mobile phone, I think I'm less willing to keep chopping and changing from programme to programme. The Beo Remote only enables you to access the four Listening Modes at the press of a button, so it's easy to toggle between them, but I'd have to have my netbook beside me if I wanted to dig deeper into the menu and that would distract me from whatever I was watching.

Anyway, I've posted this up just in case anyone else is playing around with the sound and not sure which way to go. In my opinion, NONE + VIRTUALISE is best as it changes the sound without diminishing or unbalancing it too much. But yes, experimentation is the order of the day!:)

Hi All - looks as though the UK now has the latest update available (sorry, I also have no idea what this includes!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200630-160805_Bang & Olufsen.jpg
    Screenshot_20200630-160805_Bang & Olufsen.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 63
Hi All - looks as though the UK now has the latest update available (sorry, I also have no idea what this includes!)
wow wireless connection to third party subs along with full sonos integration! Oops only kidding.

wow wireless connection to third party subs along with full sonos integration! Oops only kidding.
joking apart its taking a while to download .

all done, dont have a clue as to what if anything has changed? probable a full list of bug fixes somewere, but cannot see any new features, or expansion of existing.

I Think it auto updated 2 weeks ago

In France I have the notification today in my app.
update available 2.0.39225
todaay I have 1.8.37133

Any feedback from this update ?
My Stage is stable no sound drop, connection or whatever...
As in general I am not a fan to rush with new update for my device o_O when everything ok...
Any comments ?

I had mine set up for auto updates, but when I checked its status it was still on the previous software?

Some Members have posted about lipsync problems, maybe it was to address this?

Anyway, I decided to allow B&O to monitor my bar for the next 48 hours for performance and usage as it will help their engineers in future if I do have a problem. They won't see anything too incriminating; I plan to watch "Grand Designs" and footie highlights later!

And yes, the lack of information is annoying but typical. Why tell us anything, after all, we're just the owners so we're clearly the last to know.

In France I have the notification today in my app.
update available 2.0.39225
today I have 1.8.37133

Any feedback from this update ?
My Stage is stable no sound drop, connection or whatever...
As in general I am not a fan to rush with new update for my device o_O when everything ok...
Any comments ?
Like @keithwiggins, I updated mine and it hasn't made it worse or crash.

Like you, mine was stable and performing well but I did it anyway. I can't see what changes have been implemented, so I suppose you could just leave it if you're not sure?

Like @keithwiggins, I updated mine and it hasn't made it worse or crash.

Like you, mine was stable and performing well but I did it anyway. I can't see what changes have been implemented, so I suppose you could just leave it if you're not sure?
Ok. I will do it.
even on B&O web page we can not find kind of log book with revision and short description

5059C55E-DD92-471E-A1E9-2630BC686750.png
in configuration menu if I check log book critical even I can find problems in 2019 ?! I bought my Stage in May 2020. I assume this list is not the one from my Stage ? There’s also Deezer problem and I do not have it. Any clues ?

I got the new firmware today! Updated without issues.

I e-mailed B&O and asked if they could release a changelog in the future. :)

Hi,

Has anyone had any issues with lip sync using a Virgin V6 box? I am on my second stage as the first wouldn’t connect to the network and they have both had the issue. It only seems to happen on the HD versions of channels?

The B&O rep is suggesting it’s a Virgin problem. He also suggested plugging the V6 directly in to the Stage. If I do that will there be a change in functionality for the V6 over plugging it directly into the TV?

Love the sound but it may have to go back if we can’t get the lip sync issues sorted.

Cheers

Ross

Hi,

Has anyone had any issues with lip sync using a Virgin V6 box? I am on my second stage as the first wouldn’t connect to the network and they have both had the issue. It only seems to happen on the HD versions of channels?

The B&O rep is suggesting it’s a Virgin problem. He also suggested plugging the V6 directly in to the Stage. If I do that will there be a change in functionality for the V6 over plugging it directly into the TV?

Love the sound but it may have to go back if we can’t get the lip sync issues sorted.

Cheers

Ross
morning, have you tried resetting the v6 box? if not give that a go.your tv and the stage have a lip sync adjustment assume you tried that as well?
you will probably find the v6 sounds better going directly into the hdmi 1 input on the stage , a lot depends on what the tv can pass through.

morning, have you tried resetting the v6 box? if not give that a go.your tv and the stage have a lip sync adjustment assume you tried that as well?
you will probably find the v6 sounds better going directly into the hdmi 1 input on the stage , a lot depends on what the tv can pass through.

Thanks, yeah I have reset the V6 box. I will try it plugged in to the Stage and see what happens.

I have another V6 box in another room. I will try that and see if it has the same issue.

The TV is a Samsung Q90R.

Cheers

Ross

Thanks, yeah I have reset the V6 box. I will try it plugged in to the Stage and see what happens.

I have another V6 box in another room. I will try that and see if it has the same issue.

The TV is a Samsung Q90R.

Cheers

Ross
i have the q70r and i appreciate this doesnt help but have not had that issue and would assume they may have a similar architecture in that sense?
my skyq box occasionaly does weird things so have to unplug that for 5. Have you tried to replicate the lip sync using other sources such as bluray etc?

Hi,

Cheers

Ross
I have a V6 Box going to an LG C6 then to the Stage via ARC with no sync problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom