NEWS: Bang & Olufsen launches Beosound Stage soundbar

Thanks for your replies. I have my Stage connected via LAN and the app is on my iPhone and iPad connected to the same router but via WiFi. The app hasn't shown that it's connected for a few days now and I don't really know what to do!
What I do when this occurs is unplug at the mains , wait 30 seconds, plug back in, after about 3 mins and various bleeps , it seems to sort its self out, app reconnects and all works, I have had mine since October and this disconnection has happened about 4 times and I suspect its down to network issues.
if that doesn't work I would try to do a fresh install but hopefully this wont be necessary.

Hi

Just to share:
I received yesterday and replace the HDMI cable from B&O by a HDMI performance premium qed. This cable is use between ATV4K to Stage. My HDMI cable from Stage to TV is already a HDMI premium one. Picture quality improved. Picture is sharper. It's not a waouh change but there is something.
My setting is ATV4K -> Stage -> TV 4K.

By the way I have a question to people who use ATV4K and Netflix app. Since last week, on Netflix the atmos logo disappear on movie. Before everything was ok atmos logo on Netflix movie and atmos on the Stage appear when playing.
I checked all ATV4K setting and Atmos is on. When I watch a atmos movie from Apple Imovie, the stage switch to Atmos. This point is not link to the HDMI cable as it appeared 1 week ago
Any idea ?
I know that Netflix app (iOS, android,...) check all devices TV, sound system to adapt the streaming and avoid that people put setting Atmos, HDR, 4k and have only a 720p tv for exemple. It's like Netflix app do not recognize any more that Stage can play Atmos.

FYI
I solve my atmos problem. In your ATV4K, in parameter you launch HDMI cable test and/or switch off/on Atmos. I did it 2 times and atmos logo appear again on Netflix and the stage receive again atmos flow from my ATV4K. For me its' a ATV4K OS bug

FYI
I solve my atmos problem. In your ATV4K, in parameter you launch HDMI cable test and/or switch off/on Atmos. I did it 2 times and atmos logo appear again on Netflix and the stage receive again atmos flow from my ATV4K. For me its' a ATV4K OS bug

You Can’t get ATMOS logo on the tv if its not the tv that outputs the Sound. Impossible.

PCM from ATV4K is also ATMOS- because of the SW update today C9 also supports LPCM up to 8.1 channel

Sorry but I think we are not taking about the same thing.
My setting is ATV4K -> Stage (with HDMI) Stage-> TV (HDMI arc)
I do not talk about atmos logo on my TV screen. I talk about atmos logo on movie page of Netflix app from my ATV4K before launch the movie.
I only use my TV as a screen. I do not use embedded android apps and other apps.
Dependings of the movie (whatever the app: Netflix/Disney/Movie in the ATV4K) ATV4K push PCM, LPCM or Atmos.
The point is that apps in the ATV4K check through the ATV4K your hardware and adjust themself the quality (audio and video) that can be available. When you launch for exemple Netflix, you can see if it's 4K, Atmos, 5.1. If your hardware like your tv is not 4K for exemple, the logo 4K in Netflix app will not appear on the movie page. You will see for HD,...
Hope it help to clarify my comment

Absolutely!
After 3 weeks what I can say is
Music:
Voices are precise and clear, sounds well positioned. Basses are deep and stable. I listen to a lot of different style of music and it’s absolutely great. Stéréo right and left work because stage is 1,1m. For sure if you love heavy classical music like Orff Carmina Burana stage is limited and it’s messy. But even with stereo speakers or HC you need for that kind of music strong system.
it’s my first B&O product (before real HC 5.1onkyo av + b&w) and sound is neutral How to say not cold, metallic or hot/ round.
HC
Voice great in front of the background music. Basses are deep and powerfull when explosion or shoot gun. No need extra sub except if you love shake windows. Surround work as well if you try Star Wars race pod. Sound objects are in 3 dimension in front of you and go outside the size of your screen or the stage. For me there is no rear effect but I don’t care because my living room is open with the kitchen. For sure like a real atmos system you do not feel a plane above your head. But there is like a sound bubble between the stage and my coach with sound objects inside.

well I really love my stage for me it’s the perfect balance for music and HC.
Of course Samsung will do better with rear speaker and sub for HC fan and people focus on movies. But for me it’s more whaou effect but less precise sounds that stage can deliver.
of course a very high quality real pair of speakers and very good amplifier will do better for stereo music.
but for me Stage is the best of both worlds and do much more better than not premium HC and/or speakers pair.
Of course this is my only opinion with a stage in my environment.

the best position for me is vertical not shelve position. Voices are better.
if you do not want wall mount it. STBbrackets do perfect support.
hope that my review will help

After 3 weeks what I can say is
Music:
Voices are precise and clear, sounds well positioned. Basses are deep and stable. I listen to a lot of different style of music and it’s absolutely great. Stéréo right and left work because stage is 1,1m. For sure if you love heavy classical music like Orff Carmina Burana stage is limited and it’s messy. But even with stereo speakers or HC you need for that kind of music strong system.
it’s my first B&O product (before real HC 5.1onkyo av + b&w) and sound is neutral How to say not cold, metallic or hot/ round.
HC
Voice great in front of the background music. Basses are deep and powerfull when explosion or shoot gun. No need extra sub except if you love shake windows. Surround work as well if you try Star Wars race pod. Sound objects are in 3 dimension in front of you and go outside the size of your screen or the stage. For me there is no rear effect but I don’t care because my living room is open with the kitchen. For sure like a real atmos system you do not feel a plane above your head. But there is like a sound bubble between the stage and my coach with sound objects inside.

well I really love my stage for me it’s the perfect balance for music and HC.
Of course Samsung will do better with rear speaker and sub for HC fan and people focus on movies. But for me it’s more whaou effect but less precise sounds that stage can deliver.
of course a very high quality real pair of speakers and very good amplifier will do better for stereo music.
but for me Stage is the best of both worlds and do much more better than not premium HC and/or speakers pair.
Of course this is my only opinion with a stage in my environment.

the best position for me is vertical not shelve position. Voices are better.
if you do not want wall mount it. STBbrackets do perfect support.
hope that my review will help
Glad you managed to resolve your operational issues with the Stage and are happy.

New Anthracite Stage on the wall :smashin:

Just need to hide the mains cable now.

Attachments

• 20200614_184305.jpg
    20200614_184305.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 177
Anyone with insider knowledge about the new 2.xxx FW- what it does?

I’m not seeing an available update, still showing 1.8.37133 for me. It’d be good to hear what it does before I do install though.
I Think it auto updated 2 weeks ago

Attachments

• 8B62F6F4-287B-4F3F-9858-4EA7514B5335.png
    8B62F6F4-287B-4F3F-9858-4EA7514B5335.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 109
still on 1.87xxx so no changes.

Update: okay, I still can't get this to work through my TV via HDMI.

I had a prior feeling about this before I even bought it, I did mention this in my initial Post #96:

"This would be a potential replacement for a Paradigm Soundscape. I don't need immersive audio as I already have 5.1.4, this would just be for live TV broadcasts and programmes recorded onto my Blu-ray recorder. I currently have the BR recorder connected to the TV via an Optical cable as the Paradigm doesn't have any HDMI connections, but I have a spare HDMI on my TV. I presume that I'll get sound from the BR recorder using HDMI as a straight swop for the previous Optical connection?"

I see no obvious reason why this shouldn't work: you plug the supplied HDMI cable into the Stage TV HDMI connection and the other end into the ARC HDMI connection on the TV, but there's nothing.

There's also nothing in the TV's menu to enable/disable ARC, so I presume it's permanently enabled. And there's no sub-menu regarding what device you're connecting to the TV either, and I admit that I've never had any problem using HDMI connected to anything else before.

So now I have another query: there's a 3.5 mm mini-jack connection. B&O describe this on their website as:

"1 x Line-in 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack"

and

"Audio playback via analogue Line-in"

So can I use a cable like this as an alternative:

www.ebay.co.uk

1M DIGITAL 3.5MM TO TOSLINK OPTICAL DIGITAL SPDIF AUDIO CABLE LEAD Male 5056077500054 | eBay

My concern is this sentence at the bottom of the listing:

"Important: the 3.5mm connector on this cable is Digital. Please make sure you are plugging it in to a Digital 3.5mm Socket only."

Does this mean it won't work on the Stage? Does the Stage need an internal DAC for this to work?

Any help much appreciated!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Anyone with insider knowledge about the new 2.xxx FW- what it does?

We should contact B&O customer support asking for a changelog, maybe if enough people request this, then B&O may post a changelog like their other products.

Hi,

Picked up my Stage on Friday. I unpacked it and attempted to set it up.

At first google home wouldn’t complete the set up. After resetting both the stage and my router it did connect and proceeded to update the stage. Once the update was complete it lost connection once more. I restarted the Stage a couple of times with no success. I then restarted the Stage and Router again and it connected and I managed to complete set up. I then played some music via AirPlay and after 30 seconds it lost connection again!

On top of that it has lip sync issues with my Virgin Media V6 box. I don’t have the same issues with the in built Netflix on the TV.

The local B&O dealer is popping round tomorrow to try to rectify. I just wondered if anyone had had the same experience?

My set up consists of the V6 box plugged into my Q90R then the TV connected to the stage via the ARC port. My router is a Hub 3.

Cheers

Ross

Update: okay, I still can't get this to work through my TV via HDMI.

I had a prior feeling about this before I even bought it, I did mention this in my initial Post #96:

"This would be a potential replacement for a Paradigm Soundscape. I don't need immersive audio as I already have 5.1.4, this would just be for live TV broadcasts and programmes recorded onto my Blu-ray recorder. I currently have the BR recorder connected to the TV via an Optical cable as the Paradigm doesn't have any HDMI connections, but I have a spare HDMI on my TV. I presume that I'll get sound from the BR recorder using HDMI as a straight swop for the previous Optical connection?"

I see no obvious reason why this shouldn't work: you plug the supplied HDMI cable into the Stage TV HDMI connection and the other end into the ARC HDMI connection on the TV, but there's nothing.

There's also nothing in the TV's menu to enable/disable ARC, so I presume it's permanently enabled. And there's no sub-menu regarding what device you're connecting to the TV either, and I admit that I've never had any problem using HDMI connected to anything else before.

So now I have another query: there's a 3.5 mm mini-jack connection. B&O describe this on their website as:

"1 x Line-in 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack"

and

"Audio playback via analogue Line-in"

So can I use a cable like this as an alternative:

www.ebay.co.uk

1M DIGITAL 3.5MM TO TOSLINK OPTICAL DIGITAL SPDIF AUDIO CABLE LEAD Male 5056077500054 | eBay

My concern is this sentence at the bottom of the listing:

"Important: the 3.5mm connector on this cable is Digital. Please make sure you are plugging it in to a Digital 3.5mm Socket only."

Does this mean it won't work on the Stage? Does the Stage need an internal DAC for this to work?

Any help much appreciated!

The only reason the HDMI connection would not work (going TV -> Stage) would be if your TV does not support ARC. Otherwise, you may assume you have either a faulty cable or faulty Stage. You should not have to resort to TOSLINK, which seems an unnecessary jerry-rig. I see no reason the pictured cable would not work but I believe optical would only send the DD core and not Atmos info, though others can chime in to confirm?

One more thought: some TVs must have the ARC HDMI output selected in the menu in order to output sound.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi,

Picked up my Stage on Friday. I unpacked it and attempted to set it up.

At first google home wouldn’t complete the set up. After resetting both the stage and my router it did connect and proceeded to update the stage. Once the update was complete it lost connection once more. I restarted the Stage a couple of times with no success. I then restarted the Stage and Router again and it connected and I managed to complete set up. I then played some music via AirPlay and after 30 seconds it lost connection again!

On top of that it has lip sync issues with my Virgin Media V6 box. I don’t have the same issues with the in built Netflix on the TV.

The local B&O dealer is popping round tomorrow to try to rectify. I just wondered if anyone had had the same experience?

My set up consists of the V6 box plugged into my Q90R then the TV connected to the stage via the ARC port. My router is a Hub 3.

Cheers

Ross
I dont use mine with a v6 thats in the bedroom, i use a sky q box i do though have the hub mentioned. I have a samsung q70r.
Luckily for me and fingers x everything connected fine and continues to do so, hopefully it will be an easy fix for the dealer.

The only reason the HDMI connection would not work (going TV -> Stage) would be if your TV does not support ARC. Otherwise, you may assume you have either a faulty cable or faulty Stage. You should not have to resort to TOSLINK, which seems an unnecessary jerry-rig. I see no reason the pictured cable would not work but I believe optical would only send the DD core and not Atmos info, though others can chime in to confirm?

One more thought: some TVs must have the ARC HDMI output selected in the menu in order to output sound.
Michael, thank you for your reply - I've got it to work!

I looked through the Menu list extensively and just decided to enable Viera Link (it's a Panasonic OLED TV) et voila, I have sound!

Now don't ask me why this needs to be enabled, I've never used it before and I thought it only applied to other Panasonic products connected to the TV, but there you are.

Rather annoyingly, the TV and Stage are now inextricably linked, which means there are a few operational quirks: I can turn on the TV using it's own remote, but I won't get any sound at all unless I turn on the Stage using it's remote. And now, if I turn off the Stage it automatically turns off the TV too. I've also lost TV speaker volume control completely, which is no great loss as it was pretty thin and crappy anyway.

I'm sure there's a way to circumvent all this, but that's for another time. I'm just utterly relieved that it's working. I still need to go to the app and make some changes, which I'm not looking forward to, as I'm not entirely happy with the sound and I want to tweak it.

Just want to say thanks to @keithwiggins too for all his help. I got there in the end!:)

Sound settings query!

In the app (and the remote) it lists the Listening Modes (TV, Music, Movie, Night and None) - any recommendations?

Also, there are further personalisation options in the app: Upmix, Virtualise and LFE - what are the differences please? As is the modern way, they list these items but don't explain what they are!

Ideally, I'd keep all the DSP off, but I'd also like a high and wide sound image, not something just restricted to in front of the screen itself. This is mainly for TV broadcasts, either live or pre-recorded. I'm not going to use the Stage for either Blu-Ray's or gaming as I already have 5.1.4 for those.

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom