NEWS: Bang & Olufsen launches Beosound Stage soundbar

I am not big lover of messing too much with settings. The Cyrus amp I had, never had any treble or bass controls because it handles things as they were.

People have to watch out for the source, so one films or song will be recorded bass heavy or bass light so you may find you are constantly changing your settings

Av tech media , a collaboration of hifi choice, home cinema choice ,hifi news and record reviews just voted the Stage, best hi end soundbar.

i find im quite sensitive to overly processed sounds as introduced by to much dsp interference. I have on movies the circle in pretty much the postion you have chosen, i have treble on 0 on bass on -2, regrading the other processing i have virtualise on ,all others off. as we all have different hearing i find that works best for me, cheers.

Good point, I also have bass set to -2.
Forgot to mention that.

I am not big lover of messing too much with settings. The Cyrus amp I had, never had any treble or bass controls because it handles things as they were.

People have to watch out for the source, so one films or song will be recorded bass heavy or bass light so you may find you are constantly changing your settings

The thing is with these is the whole system is DSP.

I used to be the same, but I moved to Meridian DSP system 15 years or so ago and realised it was the closest to a pure analogue sound I had ever had. So really doesn't concern me now.

The settings I have give a pretty flat response using a test tone, listening to albums I know inside out you can hear it is right, with no drops in attenuation on certain notes on a double bass for example.

Of course there will always be deviations from each recording, be that music or film, but then this is what the producer/director intended I guess.

Also, every "hifi"pre amp adds its own sound, the differences may be subtle, but they all do it.
Go from a Naim to Chord to Cyrus to Meridian to Croft to Arcam on some electrostatics and it is far from subtle. But that is a whole new argument and one that sets a lot of people off on one, so best we don't go there. :laugh:

Some strange business on this. First it shows as a new product in Richer Sounds, but they are discontinuing it.
Supposed to have no new stock but John Lewis showing as having stock.

Spoke to someone at B&O who said that they are doing an upgraded version which will allow you to add speakers.
If that's the case I may be better off waiting

Some strange business on this. First it shows as a new product in Richer Sounds, but they are discontinuing it.
Supposed to have no new stock but John Lewis showing as having stock.

Spoke to someone at B&O who said that they are doing an upgraded version which will allow you to add speakers.
If that's the case I may be better off waiting
if you want extra speakers then thats the way to go.

i did read somewere that someone on another site had created a scenario useing a appletv unit wereby he was able to use the stage and rear speakers of his choice, now i dont own such a unit so cannot experiment as such . i mention it cos if you wait for a revised product it will invariably cost more and will no doubt only work with b&o speakers, which whilst they are very good will no doubt cost a packet.

Dont want satellite speakers but maybe a good option to have a sub. May just see what is announced in January.
probably locked into there subs as well. Steve at sounds heavenly measured the bass on the stage and reported its output would be the same as a b&o sub. although i have say commercially b&o invented a cul de sac for the stage which has never made any sense to me, as they missed out on selling lots of profitable addons.
i am happy with the bar as it is but may have been tempted with some extras at some stage. There is always room for improvement.

Last edited:
probably locked into there subs as well. Steve at sounds heavenly measured the bass on the stage and reported its output would be the same as a b&o sub. although i have say commercially b&o invented a cul de sac for the stage which has never made any sense to me, as they missed out on selling lots of profitable addons.
i am happy with the bar as it is but may have been tempted with some extras at some stage. There is always room for improvement.

Yes does seem odd, but as you say it does give good Bass.
My only worry, having not listened to the soundbar is that without a sub, will it handle drums and bass guitar well when there is a lot going on in a song.

Yes does seem odd, but as you say it does give good Bass.
My only worry, having not listened to the soundbar is that without a sub, will it handle drums and bass guitar well when there is a lot going on in a song.
a seperate sub as a minimum a bk 200 is better , however most people with soundbars dont get that kind of quality , they get the pretty much rubbish supplied as system by the manufactures ( exclude jbl from this as there sub isnt bad) . the stage performs remarkably well in the bass department, i had a yamaha ysp5100 before the stage with 3 mj subs and overall not missed the bass at all the stage is that good. in fact in the app i have the bass set at -2, im not stating its perfect but for clarity dynamics and bass its better than most things out there except maybe a good separates system .

a seperate sub as a minimum a bk 200 is better , however most people with soundbars dont get that kind of quality , they get the pretty much rubbish supplied as system by the manufactures ( exclude jbl from this as there sub isnt bad) . the stage performs remarkably well in the bass department, i had a yamaha ysp5100 before the stage with 3 mj subs and overall not missed the bass at all the stage is that good. in fact in the app i have the bass set at -2, im not stating its perfect but for clarity dynamics and bass its better than most things out there except maybe a good separates system .
dont forget buy online and you are legally entitled to return within 14 days if not satisfied.

dont forget buy online and you are legally entitled to return within 14 days if not satisfied.

Yes will do. I have already decided that I am willing to take a hit on the separates I recently sold for a cleaner look.
I know it wont match that but as you have said it will do a decent job.
Thanks for the info

Yes will do. I have already decided that I am willing to take a hit on the separates I recently sold for a cleaner look.
I know it wont match that but as you have said it will do a decent job.
Thanks for the info
I would definitely wait for a potential new stage - here is the first I’ve heard of it though. As even if you don’t want the new one a lot of people will be upgrading and getting rid of their old stages (me included if the rumour is true!)
Although it does seem to be in stock everywhere so no signs of being discontinued...

OK, I was probably the most vocal on here regarding the Stage's lack of subwoofer output.

I have always, run my systems with a sub, that includes running speakers that go down to 30hz. A sub adds more than just bass, the ability to play the whole range can add a huge amount to the soundstage as well.

We often forget just how much info we have given to us in a recording from the sounds we can't really hear, for example, there is no way you can tell when a recording is made in a large space if the whol frequency range is not played, there may not be a single instrument that goes below 35hz on that recording, but the space can pick up reverberations that go lower than that, and that is why I find a sub adds so much.

Hence it stopped my buying a Stage, lack of sub meant it was a no go.

Also, I still DJ, I like my deep progressive house and I love sassy basslines, hence I need it to do bass and do it well.

However.....I started to think whether I was going to truly get that three dimensional soundstage from the Stage anyway? Of course not. I have only had it with a handful of systems over the years, Quad 2905, Meridian DSP 5200s, Scansonic 2.5, Quad Z's and when pulled out into the room in a way that just was not workable in anything but a dedicated room.

So all that mattered was the next bit, will it give enough bass and the warm, full, not fatiguing sound that I am after?

I will be honest, I presumed the answer would be "No" so I bought it online knowing I could return it.

The reality is the bass has exceeded my expectations. I was not sure at first, I think the out of the box settings are not great, not great at all. As I said earlier, dips around 100hz that you can hear easily, a little spike around the 2khz range that can sound bright and although it sounded impressive, it didn't sound "HiFi"m it sounded like a more grown up Sonos that was giving detail at the expense of warmth.

However, once the bass was dropped and the EQ moved towards high bass and dropped slightly from energetic everything fell into place.

I am sat here right now listening to this.....

....and it has proper bass you can feel.

My subs have always been Rel, Stratas and Studios. I like my bass. This is not lacking.

I would definitely wait for a potential new stage - here is the first I’ve heard of it though. As even if you don’t want the new one a lot of people will be upgrading and getting rid of their old stages (me included if the rumour is true!)
Although it does seem to be in stock everywhere so no signs of being discontinued...
i will hang onto mine as it fulfils perfectly the reason why i bought it in the first place, great sound in one unit. it would be a departure for b&o to replace a relatively new model so soon after launch, there audio gear gets upgraded with extra features every few years but the basics remain the same. They tend not to fall into must change the entire product range every 12 mnths trap.

I too was at RicherSounds (Canton) this week, they made no mention to me that they were discontinuing the B&O Stage but, I was offered a discount of £50 straight-away on the B&O Stage......now I'm wondering that if I go there again and started haggling on the price if I could've got even bigger discount 🤔.

I too was at RicherSounds (Canton) this week, they made no mention to me that they were discontinuing the B&O Stage but, I was offered a discount of £50 straight-away on the B&O Stage......now I'm wondering that if I go there again and started haggling on the price if I could've got even bigger discount 🤔.
lol, maybe, have you tried Tysons there very flexible.

That is the one i went to 2 weeks ago listening to the sennheiser. They show on their website as hot new product, called their telesales and the guy said that they have stopped selling this but had no reason for why.
Tyson do not have the aluminium one in stock

That is the one i went to 2 weeks ago listening to the sennheiser. They show on their website as hot new product, called their telesales and the guy said that they have stopped selling this but had no reason for why.
Tyson do not have the aluminium one in stock
they have on there website an open box stage in aluminium. at £1049.

type in beosound stage openbox, you would need to ask them why its available.

Has anyone audio drop-outs when an AppleTV connected directly to the Stage?
It doesn’t matter if I watch a file via Infuse with DD, DTS, etc. audio as the ATV outputs PCM.

When connecting the ATV direct to my tv or a receiver the problem is gone, also no problem when playing the same files via the Shield connected to the stage. (Same cables used)

Has anyone audio drop-outs when an AppleTV connected directly to the Stage?
It doesn’t matter if I watch a file via Infuse with DD, DTS, etc. audio as the ATV outputs PCM.

When connecting the ATV direct to my tv or a receiver the problem is gone, also no problem when playing the same files via the Shield connected to the stage. (Same cables used)
I use an ATV 4k that's connected directly to the Stage, of which I purely use it for watching iTunes films and I don't have an issue with audio drop out.

Probably doesn't help you much though.

Good evening, i've the Beosound Stage for three weeks now and i'm very satisfied with the sound, but i have a problem. The sound sometimes drops out and then it is no longer visible in the App and Googlehome. I then have to unplug and plug it in to restart it. it also happens regularly that the sound can still be heard but it is no longer visible in the App and can therefore no longer be operated. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom