NEWS: Bang & Olufsen launches Beosound Stage soundbar

Bendix

Haha you say that but I wouldn't be suprised if the Bluetooth is wrapped in some propriety format though either way I'd need to get one in only to return it again, further adding to my ongoing catalogue of self-pity!
Did you set it up with google home?

Bendix

Yes that's how I was sending music to it but then I'm back where we came in with not being able to use my TV remote to adjust volume.

The more I read back what I've written the more pathetic I sound, sorry about that folks!
You could also use this Beoremote, I sold mine just before buying the Stage, it should be possible to buy it used. It uses Bluetooth and works really well. Stage supports it. Beosound essence remote. You should be able to get one used for about 50 U.K.

1596013263023.jpeg

bernado

You could also use this Beoremote, I sold mine just before buying the Stage, it should be possible to buy it used. It uses Bluetooth and works really well. Stage supports it. Beosound essence remote. You should be able to get one used for about 50 U.K.
Thanks for that but after much lockdown bearded chin stroking I've regrettably decided this just isn't going to work out in my household and am to initiate a return.

I just turned it on to perform a factory reset and the German guy came on again earnestly singing Wagner, it's like he knew!

Enjoy the Stage, whilst it didn't work out for me it really is a nice piece of kit and worthy of wider recognition.

keithwiggins

Thanks for that but after much lockdown bearded chin stroking I've regrettably decided this just isn't going to work out in my household and am to initiate a return.

I just turned it on to perform a factory reset and the German guy came on again earnestly singing Wagner, it's like he knew!

Enjoy the Stage, whilst it didn't work out for me it really is a nice piece of kit and worthy of wider recognition.
i would have thought it should have been Vera Lynn singing we,ll meet again!

keithwiggins

View attachment 1341914
£200 plus on ebay im afraid.

Sycamore73

Standard Member

Have you performed a factory reset at all or spoken with B&O support/Peter Tyson? The issues you seem to have had seem reasonably unique. The German radio stations certainly have eluded me! Seems a shame to give up after a day 😕

As an aside for yourself and anyone else looking. The beoremote only works with the lg c9 and newer, unless you wished to use it as a standalone remote for just the stage.

Have you performed a factory reset at all or spoken with B&O support/Peter Tyson? The issues you seem to have had seem reasonably unique. The German radio stations certainly have eluded me! Seems a shame to give up after a day 😕

As an aside for yourself and anyone else looking. The beoremote only works with the lg c9 and newer, unless you wished to use it as a standalone remote for just the stage.
I understood that an app is needed on the TV to use the beoremote. What is that called? I have an LG CX and haven't found it!

Sycamore73

Standard Member
I understood that an app is needed on the TV to use the beoremote. What is that called? I have an LG CX and haven't found it!
I had this same issue. You need to reset the tv and follow b&o instructions on their YouTube site. This is what I used and it worked! Beosound Stage - YouTube
These YouTube instructions helped me when setting everything up. Others have reported that the app does not yet support the CX and required a manual installation of it via a usb stick free from a dealer however the lg B&O app was updated the other day so perhaps it now supports the cx?!?

ralphkeb

Standard Member
Promised to give feedback about the Stage not switching to the right input for watching ATV when the STB table stand has arrived.
The problem is completely solved and when I want to watch ATV the screen is there after a second or 6.

The table stand is going back, my wife and I love the sound much more when laying flat, the bass seems more controlled and the highs sound somewhat more relaxing.

one strange thing noticed: sometimes when watching ATV it switches to a free tv or sound channel called Tiki or something in Plex........ very strange.

Besides the ATV I also have a Zidoo especially for my music blu-rays with menu’s, is there a way to connect a HDMI switch or the Stage input so I can connect both ATV and Zidoo?
If possible a switch that chooses automatically the correct input :)

keithwiggins

Promised to give feedback about the Stage not switching to the right input for watching ATV when the STB table stand has arrived.
The problem is completely solved and when I want to watch ATV the screen is there after a second or 6.

The table stand is going back, my wife and I love the sound much more when laying flat, the bass seems more controlled and the highs sound somewhat more relaxing.

one strange thing noticed: sometimes when watching ATV it switches to a free tv or sound channel called Tiki or something in Plex........ very strange.

Besides the ATV I also have a Zidoo especially for my music blu-rays with menu’s, is there a way to connect a HDMI switch or the Stage input so I can connect both ATV and Zidoo?
Great glad to hear everything is working well for you. Re Hdmi switchers, you can buy them and have seen them around but never used one myself , see what the reviews on Amazon say, is how i would go.

50W

That's interesting to hear, that you weren't that impressed with the stand. I know when I put my Stage upright (just using some rubber feet etc) I also felt it lost some of the bass / quality to some degree. I guess that's the downside of it not being placed against a solid base / wall.

I haven't seen the issue with ATV switching to a free tv channel, but I did sometimes see it drop out when navigating the main ATV menus. I ended up replacing one of the HDMI cables, as it wasn't up to the job. Thanks to another person on AVForums, they recommended this. If you are using a standard ATV (rather than an ATV 4k), then this may be a different issue. If you do have ATV 4k, then change Chroma to 4.2.0 and see whether the issue occurs then or not.

In relation to a HDMI Switch, check out one of the other guys here that purchased one:

This is something I was planning on purchasing, however they were out of stock at the time so I never got round to it. Since then I have found that we are watching more ATV, than UHD's. So this is something I will no doubt follow up on in the near future.

ralphkeb

Standard Member
That's interesting to hear, that you weren't that impressed with the stand. I know when I put my Stage upright (just using some rubber feet etc) I also felt it lost some of the bass / quality to some degree. I guess that's the downside of it not being placed against a solid base / wall.

I haven't seen the issue with ATV switching to a free tv channel, but I did sometimes see it drop out when navigating the main ATV menus. I ended up replacing one of the HDMI cables, as it wasn't up to the job. Thanks to another person on AVForums, they recommended this. If you are using a standard ATV (rather than an ATV 4k), then this may be a different issue. If you do have ATV 4k, then change Chroma to 4.2.0 and see whether the issue occurs then or not.

In relation to a HDMI Switch, check out one of the other guys here that purchased one:

This is something I was planning on purchasing, however they were out of stock at the time so I never got round to it. Since then I have found that we are watching more ATV, than UHD's. So this is something I will no doubt follow up on in the near future.
Have put it to 4:2:0 to see if that will help.
Just ordered a HDMI switch at Amazon, hopefully it will work.
I’m from the Netherlands so somewhat limited with things that can be delivered over here and on the Dutch Amazon de switches are very limited.

just listened to an old concert of Alicia Keys in DD 5.1,I could almost swear she was sitting on the left side of my room behind her piano🤗

Sure the Stage is not going to create an over and behind listening position sound but the soundstage is damn immersive in width and height, just love it 😎

anotherspacesong

I received my Beosound Stage last week but I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. I am hoping to do that this week. What does everyone do with regards to connecting the Stage to your home network? Ethernet or Wireless? I ordered some new ethernet cables since I had not replaced any of mine in years (and some were looking pretty rough) so I wanted to double check. I wasn't sure if it mattered or there was a benefit with either option. Thanks in advance!

keithwiggins

I received my Beosound Stage last week but I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. I am hoping to do that this week. What does everyone do with regards to connecting the Stage to your home network? Ethernet or Wireless? I ordered some new ethernet cables since I had not replaced any of mine in years (and some were looking pretty rough) so I wanted to double check. I wasn't sure if it mattered or there was a benefit with either option. Thanks in advance!
I am on WiFi as I had no spare cable. If you can hard wire the stage you potentially will have less dropouts and your not further reducing your WiFi bandwidth in your home
Enjoy

anotherspacesong

I am on WiFi as I had no spare cable. If you can hard wire the stage you potentially will have less dropouts and your not further reducing your WiFi bandwidth in your home
Enjoy
Thanks for the reply! I am leaning towards hard wiring it but I will see when I get it set up. My router is really close so technically I could. The fit looks like it would be tight/crowded on the ports though when I was watching an unboxing video (since you already have the power and hdmi cable already plugged in to begin with). I used to run my Sonos Playbar/Playbase wirelessly but I know this is a different company so I wasn't sure how it would handle it.

keithwiggins

Thanks for the reply! I am leaning towards hard wiring it but I will see when I get it set up. My router is really close so technically I could. The fit looks like it would be tight/crowded on the ports though when I was watching an unboxing video (since you already have the power and hdmi cable already plugged in to begin with). I used to run my Sonos Playbar/Playbase wirelessly but I know this is a different company so I wasn't sure how it would handle it.
Mine is really stable
Every so often virgin stops working but as soon as it sorts itself out it reconnects

iatacs19

Standard Member
I just use wi-fi since the speaker mainly gets used via eARC. I tested tunein and it worked without issues via wi-fi. Although I usually prefer wired ethernet, it is nice to have 1 less cable and reducing clutter just a little bit more.

anotherspacesong

Well I finally got around to setting up the Beosound Stage yesterday. It is really heavy and the build quality is on another level. Sonos stuff is built really well (from my experience) but this definitely feels like a premium product well above that.

It was a little strange how you set it up (by having to go and create a Google Home Account). I am an apple user primarily so I rare use google other than a couple of gmail accounts. I had a few issues initially as it wouldn't set it up correctly. I finally got it done and then it prompted me to update it. That took forever and I was concerned it was locked up. It finally rebooted though and all is good. I haven't looked at a lot of the settings on the app yet. I also haven't really checked my tv settings (I have a new Sony tv that was just released a few months ago) so I am sure there are adjustments I need to make.

Music wise, this blows away any Sonos product I have even owned (and that included my limited time with the Sonos ARC). The clarity is insane and on another level. This is the first soundbar I have owned that is REALLY close to having a dedicated 2.1 setup for listening to music. It is that good. My wife was really impressed and normally she could care less about this stuff. The vocal clarity with music is amazing. I was also blown away by the bass. It is really controlled but it can dig deep on anything I tested it with. I felt like I had a dedicated subwoofer next to the Stage on the floor. I have had all in one soundbars in the past touting amazing bass without a sub. The Stage is the first one that really hits that mark. You have to hear it to believe what is coming out of that one speaker.

Movie wise I didn't do a lot of testing yet. The vocal clarity though was a HUGE improvement over anything I have had in the past and that includes all of the Sonos products (playbar, playbase, and ARC). The bass was also amazing in the few movies I tested. I don't know how you would want more bass honestly. I am not a bass head with movies (ie I don't need the room shaking etc). However I want it to hit fairly well with movies and wow does it deliver. The other thing was how loud the Stage can get. I had it on around 60 on the volume and it was really loud. I did try a few movies with Dolby Atmos but only listened for a few minutes. I don't think it's fair to comment on that yet since I really don't have anything tweaked and not sure if I need to change some settings on my tv.

I did notice some white noise/hum if I put my ear right up to the Stage but I assume that's normal (literally putting my ear like an inch or two from it). I don't hear it from where I sitting or anything. My wife knows I obsess a bit with new gear as I worry it will have an issue. She told me it was fine and to drop it, lol :). I think there is a very slight lip sync issue but that was also present on my old playbar/playbase with optical. I will have to check and see if it can be tweaked (via the tv most likely). There really isn't a guide for setup for the Stage (past the initial one) so I have been looking online (and here of course) to make sure I have the optimum settings.

I admit I stressed over this purchase as it was a lot of money for me. In the US, the Stage is already a little bit more than the Sonos ARC + Sub. I also went with the Anthracite model so that was even more expensive. I was nervous even setting it up as I have never spent this much on a soundbar.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share my initial thoughts. I will definitely have more as I continue to tweak it.

Cameron583

Is there any support for subwoofers with the stage? I.e. their own subwoofers via wireless or something?

Bendix

Well I finally got around to setting up the Beosound Stage yesterday. It is really heavy and the build quality is on another level. Sonos stuff is built really well (from my experience) but this definitely feels like a premium product well above that.

It was a little strange how you set it up (by having to go and create a Google Home Account). I am an apple user primarily so I rare use google other than a couple of gmail accounts. I had a few issues initially as it wouldn't set it up correctly. I finally got it done and then it prompted me to update it. That took forever and I was concerned it was locked up. It finally rebooted though and all is good. I haven't looked at a lot of the settings on the app yet. I also haven't really checked my tv settings (I have a new Sony tv that was just released a few months ago) so I am sure there are adjustments I need to make.

Music wise, this blows away any Sonos product I have even owned (and that included my limited time with the Sonos ARC). The clarity is insane and on another level. This is the first soundbar I have owned that is REALLY close to having a dedicated 2.1 setup for listening to music. It is that good. My wife was really impressed and normally she could care less about this stuff. The vocal clarity with music is amazing. I was also blown away by the bass. It is really controlled but it can dig deep on anything I tested it with. I felt like I had a dedicated subwoofer next to the Stage on the floor. I have had all in one soundbars in the past touting amazing bass without a sub. The Stage is the first one that really hits that mark. You have to hear it to believe what is coming out of that one speaker.

Movie wise I didn't do a lot of testing yet. The vocal clarity though was a HUGE improvement over anything I have had in the past and that includes all of the Sonos products (playbar, playbase, and ARC). The bass was also amazing in the few movies I tested. I don't know how you would want more bass honestly. I am not a bass head with movies (ie I don't need the room shaking etc). However I want it to hit fairly well with movies and wow does it deliver. The other thing was how loud the Stage can get. I had it on around 60 on the volume and it was really loud. I did try a few movies with Dolby Atmos but only listened for a few minutes. I don't think it's fair to comment on that yet since I really don't have anything tweaked and not sure if I need to change some settings on my tv.

I did notice some white noise/hum if I put my ear right up to the Stage but I assume that's normal (literally putting my ear like an inch or two from it). I don't hear it from where I sitting or anything. My wife knows I obsess a bit with new gear as I worry it will have an issue. She told me it was fine and to drop it, lol :). I think there is a very slight lip sync issue but that was also present on my old playbar/playbase with optical. I will have to check and see if it can be tweaked (via the tv most likely). There really isn't a guide for setup for the Stage (past the initial one) so I have been looking online (and here of course) to make sure I have the optimum settings.

I admit I stressed over this purchase as it was a lot of money for me. In the US, the Stage is already a little bit more than the Sonos ARC + Sub. I also went with the Anthracite model so that was even more expensive. I was nervous even setting it up as I have never spent this much on a soundbar.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share my initial thoughts. I will definitely have more as I continue to tweak it.
Thanks for posting, it is also my experience about the quality of music and Movies.

about the lip sync it also happens on my LG C9- and it is a problem with LG and not the Stage. It can be eliminated with HDMI inputs. But cable tv (no box) and YouTube suffer a great deal.
What sources did you suffer from lip sync and what tv do you have?

Bendix

Is there any support for subwoofers with the stage? I.e. their own subwoofers via wireless or something?
No- not possible to add a sub there is no workaround. This is a stand alone.

however the stage is a part of Beolink multiroom. So in a greater setup with music you can add other B&O speakers. But only for music/ radio to play in your house. It will play synchronised but you can not add the speakers for a Surround option.

anotherspacesong

Thanks for posting, it is also my experience about the quality of music and Movies.

about the lip sync it also happens on my LG C9- and it is a problem with LG and not the Stage. It can be eliminated with HDMI inputs. But cable tv (no box) and YouTube suffer a great deal.
What sources did you suffer from lip sync and what tv do you have?

My wife noticed it while we were watching a show on Hulu (via the Apple TV). I just have the Stage plugged into my ARC port on the tv and then everything else plugged into the other open HDMI inputs on the tv itself. I honestly BARELY noticed it. My wife notices lip sync issues way more than I do. I have the newly released Sony 900H (I am not sure what the model is in the UK). It is the new one that will have HDMI 2.1 inputs with a firmware upgrade this fall.

Cameron583

No- not possible to add a sub there is no workaround. This is a stand alone.

however the stage is a part of Beolink multiroom. So in a greater setup with music you can add other B&O speakers. But only for music/ radio to play in your house. It will play synchronised but you can not add the speakers for a Surround option.
Damn that makes it an instant no for me

Bendix

My wife noticed it while we were watching a show on Hulu (via the Apple TV). I just have the Stage plugged into my ARC port on the tv and then everything else plugged into the other open HDMI inputs on the tv itself. I honestly BARELY noticed it. My wife notices lip sync issues way more than I do. I have the newly released Sony 900H (I am not sure what the model is in the UK). It is the new one that will have HDMI 2.1 inputs with a firmware upgrade this fall.
I am also very sensitive to lip sync. As a workaround you can try to handshake the HDMI once again. Plug off tv and ATV and the disable HDMI- and then connect again backwards then what you disabled.Do your ATV sound settings is set for best sound possible? Is ATMOS available? Because you should enable that. Also you can try to connect ATV directly to Stage. It also helps.

On your Sony tv- can you set HDMI output to PCM?

sorry for all the questions- but there is workaround. Specially for ATV content 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more

Trending threads

Latest News

Mulan rumoured to net $260M in US after Disney+ premiere
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon DHT-S416 soundbar its first with Chromecast built-in
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 launches 19th Nov in UK for £450
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 16th September 2020