NEWS: Bang & Olufsen launches Beosound Stage soundbar

I'll be honest, my heart sank when I got it out of the box and saw that the base was white. I quickly went online and sourced for images and there it was!:facepalm:

My Stage sits horizontally on my TV stand which has Light Oak wood supporting rods, and I have Light Oak laminate flooring, but I think it looks really good and don't even notice the white base anymore.

Here's a pic from my seated position of around 9 feet away to give you an idea:

View attachment 1338777

I suppose the Black or Silver would be more neutral, but nowhere near as striking nor attractive, in my opinion.

I think the oak version would be perfect for your setup! Except for the price premium... 😢
The white base sticks out a bit, you could just get some vinyl wrap and change the color without much cost and it wouldn't damage the Stage at all since it's reversible.

I think the oak version would be perfect for your setup! Except for the price premium... 😢
The white base sticks out a bit, you could just get some vinyl wrap and change the color without much cost and it wouldn't damage the Stage at all since it's reversible.
The Oak definitely would've been my first choice if it were, say, just an extra £100 premium. But £650 is just ridiculous - people pay that for an entire soundbar, not just a finish!

I've got used to the white base now and no longer notice it. In fact, I quite like the colour contrast between it and the Bronze "cheeks". I even chose the Bronze BeoRemote One to match!

But yes, I suspect most owners might be fairly conservative in their choices and go with either the Silver or Anthracite finishes. I like a bit of colour, me!

The Oak definitely would've been my first choice if it were, say, just an extra £100 premium. But £650 is just ridiculous - people pay that for an entire soundbar, not just a finish!

I've got used to the white base now and no longer notice it. In fact, I quite like the colour contrast between it and the Bronze "cheeks". I even chose the Bronze BeoRemote One to match!

But yes, I suspect most owners might be fairly conservative in their choices and go with either the Silver or Anthracite finishes. I like a bit of colour, me!
yep , Ikea could do a surround for £30 quid so why do B&O think £650 is fair? One question i own a samsung tv, and operate the the Stage via , the app, does the B&o remote offer any usability benefits, aside from looking sumptuous?

yep , Ikea could do a surround for £30 quid so why do B&O think £650 is fair? One question i own a samsung tv, and operate the the Stage via , the app, does the B&o remote offer any usability benefits, aside from looking sumptuous?
I don't have a mobile phone and didn't want to have my Chromebook beside me every time I used the Stage, so getting the remote was a priority for me for convenience.

Apart from this, no, it's really only useful if you've bought into the whole B&O ecosystem i.e. the remote is universal and can operate more than one B&O device.

I was very lucky (or pushy!) - Peter Tyson were selling an Open Box Stage for £1099, so I asked if they would price match that on a new Bronze Stage, and they said yes. I was then extra cheeky by offering £1200 for this and a new BeoRemote thrown in, and they said yes again.

They even took my old Paradigm Soundscape for £325 in part exchange too! I really can't recommend them enough and it's always worth asking if they'll do a deal. Haggling is not really part of our culture, but if you don't ask you don't get.:)

Some of you may remember my posts, about 10 days ago, where I had an issue with a low rumbling sound occurring when watching some live TV. Well, after getting in touch with the support at Peter Tyson (from where I bought it) it was as simple as changing the HDMI cable! I feel a bit stupid for not trying that before, but am pleased to have found the fix. I was using the cable that came with the Stage, which may be why I didn’t try it before. Anyway, I‘m happy now!
Alas, the fault came back in abundance this weekend. I echo the praise from others for Peter Tyson, they have been very efficient in arranging for my Stage to be collected for inspection by B&O. I just hope the turnaround is quick, I don't know how long I can stand using the TV's inbuilt speakers!

Alas, the fault came back in abundance this weekend. I echo the praise from others for Peter Tyson, they have been very efficient in arranging for my Stage to be collected for inspection by B&O. I just hope the turnaround is quick, I don't know how long I can stand using the TV's inbuilt speakers!
Let us know how you get on?

You seem to have been incredibly unlucky as there are two Threads about the Stage on here and hardly anyone has mentioned any technical problems, unlike the Sennheiser Ambeo.

I suppose even with the best QC in the world, you're always going to have issues with any mass-produced device.

I don't have a mobile phone and didn't want to have my Chromebook beside me every time I used the Stage, so getting the remote was a priority for me for convenience.

Apart from this, no, it's really only useful if you've bought into the whole B&O ecosystem i.e. the remote is universal and can operate more than one B&O device.

I was very lucky (or pushy!) - Peter Tyson were selling an Open Box Stage for £1099, so I asked if they would price match that on a new Bronze Stage, and they said yes. I was then extra cheeky by offering £1200 for this and a new BeoRemote thrown in, and they said yes again.

They even took my old Paradigm Soundscape for £325 in part exchange too! I really can't recommend them enough and it's always worth asking if they'll do a deal. Haggling is not really part of our culture, but if you don't ask you don't get.:)
quite the deal.

Let us know how you get on?

You seem to have been incredibly unlucky as there are two Threads about the Stage on here and hardly anyone has mentioned any technical problems, unlike the Sennheiser Ambeo.

I suppose even with the best QC in the world, you're always going to have issues with any mass-produced device.
second that, issues luckily do seem to be very few and far between. Tyson are excellent.

Well I decided to go with the Stage! I had the Sonos Arc and Sub but all the issues that people are having with the metallic/tinny sound and muddy bass made me second guess keeping it. I also read to many comments about the Arc not being great for just listening to music and the fact it does require walls to bounce the sound off of to get the best effect (Atmos wise). We have a really open living room so there wouldn't be much for it to bounce off of. I know you can use true play but even that is a mess right now with the ARC.

My wife didn't like the white at the bottom of the bronze Stage (we will have it laying down flat) so I was going to just go for the aluminum one. She then said she liked the Anthracite more and to just get that one. No complaints from me! The aluminum is already a little bit more than the Sonos Arc and Sub combined but she really liked the look of the Anthracite and how it would blend in better with our living room. So it was a bit more on top of the Aluminum Stage but it should look really nice. I still don't know why the Anthracite is more expensive. Are the materials they use to make it different?

I also went ahead and bought it directly from B&O as the only other option in the US was from Amazon. We buy a ton of stuff from amazon but I would rather an item that expensive coming from the manufacturer. B&O is popular in the US but not like Sonos (at least for the smart speakers, etc). It is also harder to find an actual reseller for their products past their headphones and home speakers. Some specialty stores carry there higher end speakers, etc. but they are not easy to find (or they order directly from B&O anyway). Hopefully it arrives okay and looking forward to setting it up!

Last edited:
Well I decided to go with the Stage! I had the Sonos Arc and Sub but all the issues that people are having with the metallic/tinny sound and muddy bass made me second guess keeping it. I also read to many comments about the Arc not being great for just listening to music and the fact it does require walls to bounce the sound off of to get the best effect (Atmos wise). We have a really open living room so there wouldn't be much for it to bounce off of. I know you can use true play but even that is a mess right now with the ARC.

My wife didn't like the white at the bottom of the bronze Stage (we will have it laying down flat) so I was going to just go for the aluminum one. She then said she liked the Anthracite more and to just get that one. No complaints from me! The aluminum is already a little bit more than the Sonos Arc and Sub combined but she really liked the look of the Anthracite and how it would blend in better with our living room. So it was a bit more on top of the Aluminum Stage but it should look really nice. I still don't know why the Anthracite is more expensive. Are the materials they use to make it different?

I also went ahead and bought it directly from B&O as the only other option in the US was from Amazon. We buy a ton of stuff from amazon but I would rather an item that expensive coming from the manufacturer. B&O is popular in the US but not like Sonos. It is also harder to find an actual reseller for their products past their headphones and home speakers. Some specialty stores carry there higher end speakers, etc. but they are not easy to find (or they order directly from B&O anyway). Hopefully it arrives okay and looking forward to setting it up!
Congrats and welcome to the club! The anthracite is a limited edition version ( allegedly) so as i understand it when they are gone there gone.
if you ever decide to sell , it may realise a little more value ( perhaps time may tell) I think you will be amazed by the sound quality compared to Sonos, dont forget 2/3 days to bed in. I think as you mention high wife pleasing factor.
please post your thoughts when you have had it a couple of days. The sonus gear, arc and sub costs more over here (uk) in general, imagine this because sonos is a US company?

Last edited:

I also went ahead and bought it directly from B&O as the only other option in the US was from Amazon. We buy a ton of stuff from amazon but I would rather an item that expensive coming from the manufacturer. B&O is popular in the US but not like Sonos (at least for the smart speakers, etc). It is also harder to find an actual reseller for their products past their headphones and home speakers. Some specialty stores carry there higher end speakers, etc. but they are not easy to find (or they order directly from B&O anyway). Hopefully it arrives okay and looking forward to setting it up!

I'm confused, did you experience the issues mentioned? If you had the sub then the bass issue wasn't an issue as the sub took over the frequencies the Arc supposedly had issues with and it became a non issue. As for the Atmos affect, you'd still get height exactly the same as from the Stage because if your ceilings are too high, it will just go up without bouncing back down same as with any soundbar ie the Stage, is you'll get extra height, but the sound won't bounce down effectively.

In honesty this looks a great soundbar, It just sounds like you regretted getting the Arc and wanted the Stage regardless?

Congrats and welcome to the club! The anthracite is a limited edition version ( allegedly) so as i understand it when they are gone there gone.
if you ever decide to sell , it may realise a little more value ( perhaps time may tell) I think you will be amazed by the sound quality compared to Sonos, dont forget 2/3 days to bed in. I think as you mention high wife pleasing factor.
please post your thoughts when you have had it a couple of days. The sonus gear, arc and sub costs more over here (uk) in general, imagine this because sonos is a US company?

Will do! Yes my wife really likes how it looks and also not having a subwoofer on the ground next to it. They had express shipping but for some reason at checkout it just showed standard 2-7 day delivery. I called and they said whatever it showed in checkout is what the shipping would be (maybe with it being in the US). Oh well, as long as it gets here okay that is fine. Hopefully they pack it good!

As for Sonos pricing in the UK, yes you might be right on that. I know over here B&O is more expensive but that goes for all of their products.

Will do! Yes my wife really likes how it looks and also not having a subwoofer on the ground next to it. They had express shipping but for some reason at checkout it just showed standard 2-7 day delivery. I called and they said whatever it showed in checkout is what the shipping would be (maybe with it being in the US). Oh well, as long as it gets here okay that is fine. Hopefully they pack it good!

As for Sonos pricing in the UK, yes you might be right on that. I know over here B&O is more expensive but that goes for all of their products.
I had 3 8/10" subs dotted around my lounge, prior to getting the Stage, bit of an obsession really. I was really worried before getting the unit that i would really miss the low end i was used to. Transpires i didnt needed not to worry as the Stage delivers a significant amount of bass. So i dont think you will miss the sonos sub on any level.

I'm confused, did you experience the issues mentioned? If you had the sub then the bass issue wasn't an issue as the sub took over the frequencies the Arc supposedly had issues with and it became a non issue. As for the Atmos affect, you'd still get height exactly the same as from the Stage because if your ceilings are too high, it will just go up without bouncing back down same as with any soundbar ie the Stage, is you'll get extra height, but the sound won't bounce down effectively.

In honesty this looks a great soundbar, It just sounds like you regretted getting the Arc and wanted the Stage regardless?

Sorry about that as I was confused also reading my reply! I had a few sentences typed out after that initial section of me explaining what I had read and that I had tested it out afterwards. I guess I somehow deleted that, lol. Yes I did set it up and noticed the metallic sound during dialogue. The voices on the ARC are VERY thin compared to the playbar, playbase, or even beam for that matter. It's a very different sound. They have a harshness to them that none of the other Sonos products have. It was almost like I was using my built in tv speakers (speaking about dialogue). It's hard to explain. I also had to do some strange changes on my treble and bass that I didn't have to do on my playbase/playbar setup (-5 on treble just to get rid of some of the harshness with voices but it was still there). I used trueplay with my xs max and an old ipad mini and didn't notice much of a difference (the fact you have have to do this is crazy with regards to grabbing a 4-5 year old device to tune it). You are correct that the Sub removes the muddy base but it is very apparent without the sub. Hopefully Sonos gets it sorted out but this almost seems like a hardware issue. I had a couple of friends also return their ARC's with the same complaints that I had so at least I didn't feel like I was imagining it. The ARC should be leaps and bounds better than the Playbar but it isn't (again just my opinion). I could just purchase a playbar again but that kind of defeats the purpose.

From what I have read, the Stage doesn't bounce sound off of walls. It projects it forward (unlike the ARC). The ARC sounded good with Atmos movies I tested but I was getting different listening experiences on one side of the room compared to the other. It was very obvious (trueplay was done multiple times also). I honestly think the bouncing off the walls thing was the least of my concerns with the ARC. I just wasn't happy with the sound. The Arc is also no where near as good as my old sonos setup with just music listening. We listen to music a lot while cooking and yes it is a wider sound field but no where near as warm as the playbar. I think Sonos was trying to deliver more on the movie experience with the ARC. That's fine and all but they are known for how good their products sound with music. The ARC has a totally different sound. Not bashing it as I know plenty of people are happy with the ARC. For me though, it was very obvious Sonos was going for something different (plus the issues make me wonder again if there are a bunch of defective units out there or that's just the way they made the speaker). Sonos always updates their speakers so maybe a fix is right around the corner. I know on their forum plenty of people have the same issues I noticed so we shall see how they proceed.

I had 3 8/10" subs dotted around my lounge, prior to getting the Stage, bit of an obsession really. I was really worried before getting the unit that i would really miss the low end i was used to. Transpires i didnt needed not to worry as the Stage delivers a significant amount of bass. So i dont think you will miss the sonos sub on any level.

That sounds great and makes me feel better about my purchase!

Sorry about that as I was confused also reading my reply! I had a few sentences typed out after that initial section of me explaining what I had read and that I had tested it out afterwards. I guess I somehow deleted that, lol. Yes I did set it up and noticed the metallic sound during dialogue. The voices on the ARC are VERY thin compared to the playbar, playbase, or even beam for that matter. It's a very different sound. They have a harshness to them that none of the other Sonos products have. It was almost like I was using my built in tv speakers (speaking about dialogue). It's hard to explain. I also had to do some strange changes on my treble and bass that I didn't have to do on my playbase/playbar setup (-5 on treble just to get rid of some of the harshness with voices but it was still there). I used trueplay with my xs max and an old ipad mini and didn't notice much of a difference (the fact you have have to do this is crazy with regards to grabbing a 4-5 year old device to tune it). You are correct that the Sub removes the muddy base but it is very apparent without the sub. Hopefully Sonos gets it sorted out but this almost seems like a hardware issue. I had a couple of friends also return their ARC's with the same complaints that I had so at least I didn't feel like I was imagining it. The ARC should be leaps and bounds better than the Playbar but it isn't (again just my opinion). I could just purchase a playbar again but that kind of defeats the purpose.

From what I have read, the Stage doesn't bounce sound off of walls. It projects it forward (unlike the ARC). The ARC sounded good with Atmos movies I tested but I was getting different listening experiences on one side of the room compared to the other. It was very obvious (trueplay was done multiple times also). I honestly think the bouncing off the walls thing was the least of my concerns with the ARC. I just wasn't happy with the sound. The Arc is also no where near as good as my old sonos setup with just music listening. We listen to music a lot while cooking and yes it is a wider sound field but no where near as warm as the playbar. I think Sonos was trying to deliver more on the movie experience with the ARC. That's fine and all but they are known for how good their products sound with music. The ARC has a totally different sound. Not bashing it as I know plenty of people are happy with the ARC. For me though, it was very obvious Sonos was going for something different (plus the issues make me wonder again if there are a bunch of defective units out there or that's just the way they made the speaker). Sonos always updates their speakers so maybe a fix is right around the corner. I know on their forum plenty of people have the same issues I noticed so we shall see how they proceed.

That's completely understandable and I can see why you changed for the Stage, hope it works out for you!

I have the Arc, Ones for surrounds and the Sub Gen 2 and I get the metallic treble issue on some content, dialling it down to -4 has really helped mitigate the issue for me though luckily. Also having a smaller and boxy front room helps!

If I hadn't gone Sonos this was in the list as it looks a great quality bit of kit! :D

That's completely understandable and I can see why you changed for the Stage, hope it works out for you!

I have the Arc, Ones for surrounds and the Sub Gen 2 and I get the metallic treble issue on some content, dialling it down to -4 has really helped mitigate the issue for me though luckily. Also having a smaller and boxy front room helps!

If I hadn't gone Sonos this was in the list as it looks a great quality bit of kit! :D

I think if you have a room that has actual walls then it is a great sound bar (if they fix the metallic/harsh sound that I noticed with dialogue). I did notice a big drop off if you have a really open room. On the left side in my house there is a fireplace that is angled and then a wall with a bunch of windows. Then the right side is completely open. I definitely noticed a different sound on either side of the room. I think I also didn't realize how much the ARC depends on having a room with walls or something close to that. I don't think it needs it fully but you lose a lot without that. We also have really high ceilings that angle in all sorts of directions (so not a flat ceiling). I'm sure that didn't help either.

However, I completely see why Sonos went this direction as people complained in the past about the playbar not having DTS, HDMI, or advanced features for movies. I wasn't one of those people as I thought the playbar sounded great with movies and music! I am sure Sonos will get this sorted out in a firmware update as it seems to wide spread to be a bunch of faulty units (I have read where some users have tried another ARC and still have the same issues). I will also say you HAVE to have the sub with the ARC. Not having the sub makes no sense unless you are in an apartment. The bass is good with the ARC but the muddy issue comes into play. Also while the bass is good it's still not a substitute for a stand alone subwoofer or a soundbar that already is packing a lot of woofers to compensate for that (like the Stage).

I think if you have a room that has actual walls then it is a great sound bar (if they fix the metallic/harsh sound that I noticed with dialogue). I did notice a big drop off if you have a really open room. On the left side in my house there is a fireplace that is angled and then a wall with a bunch of windows. Then the right side is completely open. I definitely noticed a different sound on either side of the room. I think I also didn't realize how much the ARC depends on having a room with walls or something close to that. I don't think it needs it fully but you lose a lot without that. We also have really high ceilings that angle in all sorts of directions (so not a flat ceiling). I'm sure that didn't help either.

However, I completely see why Sonos went this direction as people complained in the past about the playbar not having DTS, HDMI, or advanced features for movies. I wasn't one of those people as I thought the playbar sounded great with movies and music! I am sure Sonos will get this sorted out in a firmware update as it seems to wide spread to be a bunch of faulty units (I have read where some users have tried another ARC and still have the same issues). I will also say you HAVE to have the sub with the ARC. Not having the sub makes no sense unless you are in an apartment. The bass is good with the ARC but the muddy issue comes into play. Also while the bass is good it's still not a substitute for a stand alone subwoofer or a soundbar that already is packing a lot of woofers to compensate for that (like the Stage).

No I agree with everything you've said tbh. I'm lucky that I have the rears so I'm not relying on wall reflections for rear affects. This would be something I'd personally miss with my films as I love surround sound.

Look forward to your thoughts when it arrives! :)

No I agree with everything you've said tbh. I'm lucky that I have the rears so I'm not relying on wall reflections for rear affects. This would be something I'd personally miss with my films as I love surround sound.

Look forward to your thoughts when it arrives! :)

Great point about the rear speakers! If you have those, you definitely wouldn't have to worry about bouncing sound off of walls. I don't have the space for those (kid related also) so it wasn't an option for me.

I will definitely be giving my thoughts when it arrives!

Since yesterday I own also a great B&O Stage and I'm very pleased with sound (for now used in table stand modes but will see if wall modes is even better).

I have connected my digital tv decoder directly to my tv (Panasonic FZ800 OLED) and the ATV 4K to the Stage and that is where the problem starts.

All my equipment is controlled by a Logitech Harmony Elite and because the Stage uses ARC of the tv the Logitech is also controlling the sound volume of the Stage so this is great!

The picture and sound is perfect from the ATV but the Stage isn't switching to the HDMI input of the Stage itself even if I wait for 5 minutes or so.
To be able to have the ATV on screen I need to putt the tv and Stage in Standby and power it up and then after some waiting the screen is there.

I have Vierra link on in the Panasonic and everything is working fine except this.

Is it better to connect the ATV to my TV and then the tv decoder to the Stage? (can only use 2 of the 4 HDMI's of my tv becuase it's hanging on the wall :( )

Since yesterday I own also a great B&O Stage and I'm very pleased with sound (for now used in table stand modes but will see if wall modes is even better).

I have connected my digital tv decoder directly to my tv (Panasonic FZ800 OLED) and the ATV 4K to the Stage and that is where the problem starts.

All my equipment is controlled by a Logitech Harmony Elite and because the Stage uses ARC of the tv the Logitech is also controlling the sound volume of the Stage so this is great!

The picture and sound is perfect from the ATV but the Stage isn't switching to the HDMI input of the Stage itself even if I wait for 5 minutes or so.
To be able to have the ATV on screen I need to putt the tv and Stage in Standby and power it up and then after some waiting the screen is there.

I have Vierra link on in the Panasonic and everything is working fine except this.

Is it better to connect the ATV to my TV and then the tv decoder to the Stage? (can only use 2 of the 4 HDMI's of my tv becuase it's hanging on the wall :( )
Morning, sorry to hear of your issues using the Stage. someone else on here has a Pana ( i dont) and had issues with using the vierra link , but can quite remember how they resolved it but believe they did finally, have a trawl through this forum you may find your answer.
i have everything going through my tv , rather than using the hdmi on the stage, i did use it for a while but found sometimes it seemed very slow to switch.

Yes the stage is really slow to wake up the ATV, so i have plugged the ATV info my LG C9. You could try to keep the ATV wake all time and not go to standby.
Also I have noticed that you can quickly wake up ATV if you use the IPhone remote for ATV.
Have you set ATV to match content/framerate?

Yes the stage is really slow to wake up the ATV, so i have plugged the ATV info my LG C9. You could try to keep the ATV wake all time and not go to standby.
Also I have noticed that you can quickly wake up ATV if you use the IPhone remote for ATV.
Have you set ATV to match content/framerate?
Yes match content/framerate is on, my ATV will not go to standby, only the screensaver.

I attached the ATV directly to the tv and now it will come up right away but than I lose the 5.1/7.1 pcm the ATV outputs as my tv is only
able to output pcm 2.0 and dd+.

Also when I connect my Zidoo to the Stage the picture will not come up until I switch of the tv and stage and put it back on.

Yes match content/framerate is on, my ATV will not go to standby, only the screensaver.

I attached the ATV directly to the tv and now it will come up right away but than I lose the 5.1/7.1 pcm the ATV outputs as my tv is only

Also when I connect my Zidoo to the Stage the picture will not come up until I switch of the tv and stage and put it back on.
i used to have my xbox connected to the hdmi on the stage, this was then accessed via my tv from memory as hdmi 3 , not that its relevant as such.
Sometimes though i found difficulty in accessing hdmi 3 , it just wouldnt display properly so i found turning the xbox on and off a couple of times brought it up and allowed access, i suspected it was a handshake issue , could have been the cable, the stage or the tv, in the end i plugged the xbox directly into the tv.
The tv wont pass atmos from external sources but will from inbuilt apps ( samsung are useless) but to be frank not noticed any form of audio degradation, sometimes the stage via the app shows its getting pcm sometimes dolby plus, then it takes the signal and does its own bit of processing and the end result is always very good.
You could try contacting b&o tech support they are pretty much on the ball if you are struggling.

hmmm then a little wait is worth it. It did help for me to sort of activate the ATV after I change channel to the input. Like press some buttons on the tv remote to sort of activate ATV. It is a handshake issue and sometimes it helps to reconnect the stage and ATV while on so it can handshake again.
But my best advise is to use the ATV iPhone remote when wanting to “wake” it up

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom