NEWS: Bang & Olufsen launches Beosound Stage soundbar

Novarossi

Standard Member
Hdmi/cec/arc/earc , everyone seems to have issues and problems with connectivity, because there does not seem to be a cast in stone agreed upon unified standard globally. Every manufacturer therefore has to do there best to interpret the rules to the best of there abilities when trying to develop compatabile products.
Your problems with the stage are by no means unique. Every other soundbar irrespective of spec and cost has similar issues, just trawl this forum.
The stage is a wonderful product and well worth persevering with, I very occasionally have sound drop outs using my tv apps, had one last night so switched viewing to Netflix app onboard xbox, switched back 30 mins later, issue gone.
the probs u are having are not likely to be with the soundbar as such but a slight incompatability somewere else, switching to another suppliers products may resolve it, or make it far worse, most peeps on this forum have significant lip sync issues as an example, although luckily I have not had that. my tv when using onboard apps outputs atmos if its available, the output from the xbox is dolby+, really not noticed to much actual difference as I guess the dsp on the stage takes the signal and process it for the settings you have chosen on the soundbar.
Good luck
Thanks for your comment, and after a quick review for sure there are plenty of exemple with sync and/or sound drop issue. However, I spent month to review the best solution for my need and connection with HDMI was a mandatory. And it's a bit disappointing

Novarossi

Standard Member
Hi All,
Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate them.
Yesterday, I had a real crash. Trying to watch a movie with ATV4K and the Stage did not play the sound and no picture on the tv screen. ATV4K sound option did not show atmos parameter. Playing music with my iPhone (airplay2), the sound from the Stage was not good. I had to remove power cord from the Stage and same with ATV4K and everything come back to normal situation.

By the way seems that defect still happen but seems to be less often. it's really erratic

Sycamore73: I will try to connect ATV to my Sony instead to the Stage. I need to double check if the TV is real passthrough for the sound.

Iatacs19:
- yes I use premium hdmi cable. To connect the ATV to the Stage I use the one from B&O which is provided with the Stage and certified premium. I assume the quality is good enough even if usually I do not use cable provided with Tv, AV, box,.... due to usual poor quality. I am going to try and other hdmi cable
- All my devices are updated. The Stage is 1.8.37133 and ATV is 13.4.5
- Problem occurs with ATV4K whatever the apps: Netflix, even using music apps just to play music. You are right I am going to test with apps in my Sony TV
-Atmos: when ATV4K audio settings are auto/Atmos it works. After several trial, I noticed with Netflix when atmos is mentioned, it's only the English track not the French. I did some trial and it's ok
View attachment 1308759

-If you remove in ATV4K sound auto then Stage receive. But it's not very good because ATV4K is encoding in dolby.
View attachment 1308758

MichaelV: the defect is related to HDMI for sure but why ? I will try to switch mode if it happen again.

I am going to do some test again today and will come back to you.
I really love the sound and quality of the Stage. I do not want to sent it back ;-)
About the audio quality for music (my stage is on shelve position and I will flip it when I will receive the table stand):
- in my room bass could be reduce -1 or -2 when using music mode
-using no mode, upmixing is activated to create and 3 channels sound and I found the clarity of the voice not good and the effect right/left of course disappear.
Well I will adjust with final position of my Stage
I did more investigation and trial yesterday.
-drop sound is very erratic defect
- I spent 2 hours watching Netflixapps on ATV with HDMI connect to the Stage and no issue. But during the evening starting again
- I did a trial with HDMI from ATV to HDMI of the TV and HDMI arc to Stage. Sound quality is not the same. Voice are muffled. TV HDMI was set passthrough. No drop sound occur. But due sound quality decrease, I do not want to keep it like this.
-Using apps from my TV. no drop sound issue but picture is not as good as the ATV. The job done of the ATV to push 4K flow and/or upscale HD movie is excellent and better than my TV. That's why I always use ATV for watching movie. Picture is sharper and color management is better.

Well may be my post are always a little bit long but I try to share my experience and hope it could help also other people.

For Atmos fan, keep in mind that a lot of movies (from Netflix, Apple,...) sometimes mentionne Atmos but at the end of the day there is no Atmos at all. A lot of discussion about that can be find. For me it' not a issue as the Stage is not for me a real Atmos solution and virtualize it in a very well manner.
I did trial with Star Wars 1, the pod race. I must admit that the result is very good for a sound bar. All sound object are well located. It's not a mess of sound. You can feel vertical effect and horizontal.
Well very good job and that's why B&O did a great job.

Novarossi

Standard Member
I did more investigation and trial yesterday.
-drop sound is very erratic defect
- I spent 2 hours watching Netflixapps on ATV with HDMI connect to the Stage and no issue. But during the evening starting again
- I did a trial with HDMI from ATV to HDMI of the TV and HDMI arc to Stage. Sound quality is not the same. Voice are muffled. TV HDMI was set passthrough. No drop sound occur. But due sound quality decrease, I do not want to keep it like this.
-Using apps from my TV. no drop sound issue but picture is not as good as the ATV. The job done of the ATV to push 4K flow and/or upscale HD movie is excellent and better than my TV. That's why I always use ATV for watching movie. Picture is sharper and color management is better.

Well may be my post are always a little bit long but I try to share my experience and hope it could help also other people.

For Atmos fan, keep in mind that a lot of movies (from Netflix, Apple,...) sometimes mentionne Atmos but at the end of the day there is no Atmos at all. A lot of discussion about that can be find. For me it' not a issue as the Stage is not for me a real Atmos solution and virtualize it in a very well manner.
I did trial with Star Wars 1, the pod race. I must admit that the result is very good for a sound bar. All sound object are well located. It's not a mess of sound. You can feel vertical effect and horizontal.
Well very good job and that's why B&O did a great job.
Quick update:
- I had to switch off my Stage and remove power plug to install my table bracket. I had to switch on and since I have no more sound cut off ?!!! after 3 days everything still ok :)
- Sound test: voice is more precise now and a little above the bass. No need bass correction compare to horizontal shelve position.

IMG_1516.jpeg

Well now a can fully enjoy it . However I still bought a new HDMI QED Performance Premium to replace the one from B&O :)

iatacs19

Standard Member
I emailed B&O support with some suggestions for their B&O app. I think it would be really helpful if we could see more information without having to navigate many levels deep. The most basic information such as current volume and sound mode would be very nice to have.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

MichaelV

I emailed B&O support with some suggestions for their B&O app. I think it would be really helpful if we could see more information without having to navigate many levels deep. The most basic information such as current volume and sound mode would be very nice to have.

What do you guys think?
Those two pieces of information are immediately available when you open the app. Volume level and listening mode. Are you sure you’re using it correctly?

iatacs19

Standard Member
Those two pieces of information are immediately available when you open the app. Volume level and listening mode. Are you sure you’re using it correctly?
It's the Android app and as you can see from my screenshot that information isn't available to me immediately without having to go many layers deep in the menu.

MichaelV

It's the Android app and as you can see from my screenshot that information isn't available to me immediately without having to go many layers deep in the menu.
then yes that should be updated. It is literally the first thing I see when I open the iOS app.

iatacs19

Standard Member
Can you post a screenshot? I am curious as to how the Android app can be so horrible compared to the iOS version...

50W

What do you guys think?
I assume you have added the volume and sound info (Audio Format - Dolby Digital, Atmos etc) to your image to highlight what you would like to see, correct?

In this case I would tend to agree with you, as I currently have the same app format as MichaelV but on Android and I am personally not that keen on the sliding bar for the volume. I would prefer to see the volume displayed in digit format.

I would also agree on displaying the Audio format (sound info as you put it) on the main page, so that we don't have to dig deeper in to the app to see what's currently coming through.

It is odd though that you are on Android and still showing the older style app?

Novarossi

Standard Member

What do you guys think?
I use iOS apps but only 2 weeks as I just got my Stage. No specific comment for the moment.
But I do agree to have the sound info on front page will be better.

50W

@Harlem - @ross1892

Guys, I hope you don't mind me asking but when you purchased your stage from Peter Tyson, how did you get another £100 off the price? Did they provide a voucher code to you?

Thanks

Harlem

@Harlem - @ross1892

Guys, I hope you don't mind me asking but when you purchased your stage from Peter Tyson, how did you get another £100 off the price? Did they provide a voucher code to you?

Thanks
I literally sent them an email just asking if they ever had the anthracite one for sale as an open box model (at the time they had the black ones for £999 open box)

They said they rarely do, but if I wanted, I could have one at £1150

50W

I literally sent them an email just asking if they ever had the anthracite one for sale as an open box model (at the time they had the black ones for £999 open box)

They said they rarely do, but if I wanted, I could have one at £1150
Thanks I will send them an email.
I wonder if I'll be pushing it if I asked if that would include 0% credit too 🤔

keithwiggins

Thanks I will send them an email.
I wonder if I'll be pushing it if I asked if that would include 0% credit too 🤔
they have offered IFC in the past on the stage so cant imagine they will look a gift horse in the mouth, u adding another for the ballroom?

50W

they have offered IFC in the past on the stage so cant imagine they will look a gift horse in the mouth, u adding another for the ballroom?
Well I can't see them saying no, especially in today's climate. Plus it seems they offer IFC over a certain amount, so can't imagine it matters much to them as to whether it's a reduced item or not.

Not for the ballroom 😉 but to replace my old B&O system and lab 6000.
I think the Stage in Anthracite will be the perfect replacement, not only saving space, but still looking the part. I think my lab 6000's may need knew drivers as they don't sound quite right. Time for a change 👍

Novarossi

Standard Member
Hi

Just to share:
I received yesterday and replace the HDMI cable from B&O by a HDMI performance premium qed. This cable is use between ATV4K to Stage. My HDMI cable from Stage to TV is already a HDMI premium one. Picture quality improved. Picture is sharper. It's not a waouh change but there is something.
My setting is ATV4K -> Stage -> TV 4K.

By the way I have a question to people who use ATV4K and Netflix app. Since last week, on Netflix the atmos logo disappear on movie. Before everything was ok atmos logo on Netflix movie and atmos on the Stage appear when playing.
I checked all ATV4K setting and Atmos is on. When I watch a atmos movie from Apple Imovie, the stage switch to Atmos. This point is not link to the HDMI cable as it appeared 1 week ago
Any idea ?
I know that Netflix app (iOS, android,...) check all devices TV, sound system to adapt the streaming and avoid that people put setting Atmos, HDR, 4k and have only a 720p tv for exemple. It's like Netflix app do not recognize any more that Stage can play Atmos.

pascal77uk

looking at people’s screen shot of the B&O app I don’t seem to get the sound info if it’s atmos or not.

4366A6FF-CA3A-4A0D-9FCA-7A5F33EAC940.png

I have a small but annoying issue, I wondered whether any of you know what’s happening and how to fix it? the screenshot below shows what I see the majority of the time when I open the app. The sound modes don’t show. This is one of many symptoms in the app that indicate that I’m not connected to the soundbar (e.g. Sound Info is blank too). Any ideas? Thanks! View attachment 1313368View attachment 1313368

keithwiggins

I have a small but annoying issue, I wondered whether any of you know what’s happening and how to fix it? the screenshot below shows what I see the majority of the time when I open the app. The sound modes don’t show. This is one of many symptoms in the app that indicate that I’m not connected to the soundbar (e.g. Sound Info is blank too). Any ideas? Thanks! View attachment 1313368View attachment 1313368
mine occasionally shows as unavailable, to resolve I unplug at mains for 30 seconds, when plugged in again after a couple of mins reconnects to everything inc app.
I think its caused by network outages over night that it doesn't like sometimes

MichaelV

FWIW mine has never done that. App has to communicate with the Stage via wifi so maybe it’s taking a moment to connect? My router is right under the Stage.

Thanks for your replies. I have my Stage connected via LAN and the app is on my iPhone and iPad connected to the same router but via WiFi. The app hasn't shown that it's connected for a few days now and I don't really know what to do!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299