NEWS: Bang & Olufsen 88-inch Beovision Harmony 8K OLED TV launched

Tim2049

B&O stuff often raises a chuckle. I remember my pretentious old boss having a B&O TV that swivelled to face you wherever you were in the room. The mug paid several grand for the privilege...& the picture was sh*t.

Although generalizing, I'm guessing B&O customers are the ones who spend £100 on HDMI cables too...<chortle>

big boss

B&O stuff often raises a chuckle. I remember my pretentious old boss having a B&O TV that swivelled to face you wherever you were in the room. The mug paid several grand for the privilege...& the picture was sh*t.

Although generalizing, I'm guessing B&O customers are the ones who spend £100 on HDMI cables too...<chortle>
I won't be so harsh on B&O. Every product has a market. You get the same engine in a Skoda or a Seat or a Volkswagen or an Audi but the price difference is massive. And yet they're all available for sale and command their own market. Attention to beauty and quality is immense by B&O. The materials they use are second to none. It's not only the panel that makes a TV. We're so used to cheap stuff from China or South Korea that we fail to appreciate the value of a small Danish company whose focus is high end and the support it offers (for 10 years beyond product shelf life, often longer). Please read about its pedigree. There's a reason why they've survived for 95 years despite world war and economic downturns.

larkone

'the highest possible image quality' - what for 8K , I wonder where the content is going to come from?

and who knew we needed swivelling speakers, got to be a must have for my next TV purchase.

@big boss We're so used to cheap stuff from China or South Korea - err isn't LG who make the panels and the alpha 9 chip a South Korean company. I cannot see how this could be any better than an LG 8K TV (same panel and processor) properly calibrated unless the swivelling speakers are the reason its £44K

big boss

'the highest possible image quality' - what for 8K , I wonder where the content is going to come from?

and who knew we needed swivelling speakers, got to be a must have for my next TV purchase.
If you don't need a swivel stand, the option isn't for you. It's as simple as that ;)

They offer the TV without the stand for cheaper if you like.

big boss

@big boss We're so used to cheap stuff from China or South Korea - err isn't LG who make the panels and the alpha 9 chip a South Korean company. I cannot see how this could be any better than an LG 8K TV (same panel and processor) properly calibrated unless the swivelling speakers are the reason its £44K
Picture wise, they never claim to be better than LG. Going back to car analogy, are Volkswagens and Audis better to drive than Skoda despite having the same engine? The true value of any item is the value the buyer is willing to pay. As I said, a panel and chip isn't the only thing that makes a TV. You're paying for the swivel stand, the integrated speakers and the design, and the industry leading after sales support. B&O are not simply buying LG TVs and rebadging them.

big boss

LG is selling its 88-inch OLED TV for £30000. So you're paying £14000 for the design and speakers. Doesn't seem overly overpriced to me, considering it's a high end manufacturer.

I've always admired and respected B&O for their ethos even though I could never afford their products.

Tim2049

I won't be so harsh on B&O. Every product has a market. You get the same engine in a Skoda or a Seat or a Volkswagen or an Audi but the price difference is massive. And yet they're all available for sale and command their own market. Attention to beauty and quality is immense by B&O. The materials they use are second to none. It's not only the panel that makes a TV. We're so used to cheap stuff from China or South Korea that we fail to appreciate the value of a small Danish company whose focus is high end and the support it offers (for 10 years beyond product shelf life, often longer). Please read about its pedigree. There's a reason why they've survived for 95 years despite world war and economic downturns.
Well...they've survived, in part, because the 'more money than sense' brigade are legion.

Unfortunately, I have more sense than money.

I hear where you're coming from with the Audi/VW/Skoda analogy, but I dont agree they're vastly different in price, or aim to appeal to different demographics. Besides the point I guess...(Personally, I think the HDMI cable example would make a better analogy).

If people want to spend way over the odds for B&O stuff that's their decision obviously. You're paying for the name, the marketing/advertising & the design though, seldom the tech itself. This TV is still Korean inside, the likes of which can be found in TVs at less than twenty times the price.

The fact the image quality will probably be comparable, all be it from a layman's perspective no doubt, to an LG 8 or 9 series is...I suppose the price these people have to pay for their decision. If they're happy to do that, 'fine'.

Last edited:

big boss

The key is, how do people perceive value? Everyone's mileage varies. Your perception of value is picture quality. This may not be the case for others. Some may prefer design and aesthetics, some may prefer the brand appeal. I was looking at a jewellery website last week to look at rings for my wife's birthday present. They had options of 9K, 14K and 18K gold. Exactly the same design and looks, but vastly different prices depending on what you choose. Even the diamond were of different qualities (VS, VVS etc.). Why do they have these options? Because they need to cater to different perceptions and expectations of the consumer.

B&O didn't survive because of "more money than sense" legion. If you read their history properly, they were manufacturing every single component that went into their equipment, all in Denmark. Their products hardly broke down. It is unfortunate they had to stop making smaller components due to economic downturn and rise of cheap Chinese goods in the market.

We all complain about Chinese monopoly in the market and how British brands like B&W are making their speakers in China.....but we do not have the right to complain, when we ourselves don't support our European manufacturers. Pioneer had to stop making TVs (undisputedly the best TVs at the time) due to other countries with dubious human rights and paltry salaries producing them at much cheaper prices.

We've already seen how powerful China is, during this Covid crisis. The virus originated in China, spread to the world and now China is selling PPEs to the world. We are at the mercy of China for our goods. Why is this the case? How can Brexit ever be successful unless we have our own manufacturing base? As long as we compare the value of all products with those from China and South Korea, UK can never manufacture products.

big boss

If just swivel of the TV and opening of the speakers like a butterfly's feathers make you happy every time you sit down to watch, then why not if you can afford it? We watch TV for happiness, right? When were you last happy at just switching the TV on? ;)

Tim2049

If just swivel of the TV and opening of the speakers like a butterfly's feathers make you happy every time you sit down to watch, then why not if you can afford it? We watch TV for happiness, right? When were you last happy at just switching the TV on? ;)
That's a good justification for being a flashy tw*t... ;)

No, in all seriousness, I do hear where you're coming from. Your lengthier post above as well, you digress and I very much agree with what you're saying there.

I will remain somewhat bemused by this kind of 'high end' customer (possibly masks some subconscious, oop, now conscious, jealously perhaps). However, i was speaking with a friend of mine who is a watch-maker about this VERY same thing. He gets orders for fancy watches, encrusted in this and that, super shiny, super 'look at me' etc etc.

BUT...he despises such orders because he knows damn well the majority of these customers dont give two hoots about the quality of the mechanism or the 'romanticism' of what's going on inside. It's invariably just people wanting...to show off. That kind of bleeds into the heart of this discussion a little.

Anyway, there we go. You make your point well & I don't disagree with it. I'll just always find it bemusing for better or for worse. I probably shouldn't have read 'The Emperor's New Clothes' so much as a kid...

big boss

Imagine the sort of system you could put together for 44k.

It would make this look even more laughable.
It's priced for certain clientele that don't compare costs this way......they probably don't even ask the price before buying ;)

SonOfSJ

LG is selling its 88-inch OLED TV for £30000. So you're paying £14000 for the design and speakers. Doesn't seem overly overpriced to me, considering it's a high end manufacturer.

I've always admired and respected B&O for their ethos even though I could never afford their products.
Hello big boss, it's not clear from the news piece if the 88" OLED that is to be used by B&O is last year's model (which cost £30,000) or this year's model (which costs £40,000.) Which one it is makes quite a difference to the cost of the design and speakers.

big boss

Hello big boss, it's not clear from the news piece if the 88" OLED that is to be used by B&O is last year's model (which cost £30,000) or this year's model (which costs £40,000.) Which one it is makes quite a difference to the cost of the design and speakers.
Wow! Good point!! The chip is certainly the latest one, so I suspect even the panel is the new model? That would make this TV some sort of a bargain, for that design and speakers and only £4000 more! Of course, people are unlikely to buy that LG at full price.

big boss

SonOfSJ

Yes, it's based on the 2020 8K OLED. My beef against it, even with a lottery win, is, where would I put my receiver, blu-ray player, and about five other boxes that I have in my AV system? If you look at the photograph it's very nice and futuristic (especially the speakers) but I don't see any room for electronics.

big boss

Yes, it's based on the 2020 8K OLED. My beef against it, even with a lottery win, is, where would I put my receiver, blu-ray player, and about five other boxes that I have in my AV system? If you look at the photograph it's very nice and futuristic (especially the speakers) but I don't see any room for electronics.
You're better off with the LG then. B&O is known for its speakers and if you're not going to use its speakers, there's no point in buying this.

dBrowne

People will pay a premium for good design. B&O isn't for me, but there are certain other goods that I would love to own, not because they are functionally superior to cheaper versions, but because I just find them beautiful. I don't think it's primarily about showy bling or having more money than sense.

Last edited:

big boss

Does the warranty cover burn in? If not, I’m out.
No idea, but I'm not aware of any manufacturer that officially covers burn in for OLED warranties. Are you?

big boss

You don't get out much do you, the last time you were out you lost your sense of humour, best go back and try to find it.
Well, hopefully easing the lockdown will allow me to go out more? 🤔

Cheekster

No idea, but I'm not aware of any manufacturer that officially covers burn in for OLED warranties. Are you?
Although not a manufacturers warranty, Protect Plus which is available via John Lewis covers accidental damage including OLED screen burn. As an example, £140 for a 55” Panasonic OLED. On a rather expensive purchase such as this 88” 8K OLED that policy could be money well spent.