NEWS: BAFTA awards The Power of the Dog with Best Film

Have to say, I thought Rebel Wilson was a dreadful choice to host! At times, just embarrassing!

Have to say, I thought Rebel Wilson was a dreadful choice to host! At times, just embarrassing!
Generally speaking I like her, the material tonight though was pretty terrible. Maybe now she’s thin, she’s not funny anymore.

Last edited:
Generally speaking I like her, the material tonight know was pretty terrible. Maybe now she’s thin, she’s not funny anymore.
Just constant innuendo - and not funny!

Bafta Camera Man could not take the camera off Emma Watson and Benedict C.

Might awsell just rename this show the Emma and Benedict Show.

Villeneuve should've got best director imo. His direction of Dune has made that work approachable for the mainstream whilst also maintaining much of the scale and content of the book. No mean feat especially when you consider the arty noble failure that David Lynch made of it. No offence to DL though as noble failures go it was a full hearted and worthy brave attempt.

I think there's still merit in them to be honest. I can't deny I like the tradition and ceremony.

There were a few surprise winners last night, and it wasn't a total disaster thanks to Andy Serkis :laugh:

I just need to get Apple TV now to watch Coda. And then Netflix for Power of the Dog.

I was surprised that Last Night in Soho didn't do better =/

Award ceremonies have never been about the best movies. It’s (usually) about how worthy or socially relevant a theme / director / cause or leading actor / actress is considered to be at the time, by their peers. They are a platform for issues considered important by creatives working in the industry.

Sometimes people get overlooked when they do their best work and end up with an award for something much later in their career that was fairly mediocre - bit of a consolation award. The Oscar’s do this more than the BAFTAs.

Popular mainstream movies however good, almost never win. And that’s OK because they already have a huge audience.

If you look back at what won and what you consider to the best film of the year, there will be almost no correlation.

The award season generally pushes smaller movies into the minds of people who would otherwise probably never see them (Parasite and The Artist come to mind).

And that’s why a gritty black and white movie about social disfunction, poverty and displacement is almost always going to beat the latest sci-fi block buster.

That’s just the way it is, and it’s nothing new.

Then there’s the terrible red carpet interviews with cringy questions around women’s fashion, such as “Who are you wearing?” - yuk. Not interested.

I’ll take 2 minutes to look at the winners on the website - I’m more interested in the technical categories and those often get over looked on the TV award show coverage anyway.

Regards,
James.

Honestly , I'm no movie critic , but by god I really dont see the hype about The Power of the Dog .

Was a decent movie but no more. Must have been a pretty poor year for that to come out on top.

Honestly , I'm no movie critic , but by god I really dont see the hype about The Power of the Dog .
Oh I don’t know. As a successful remedy for insomnia it works well.

Agreed that's two weeks i won't get back, of course, I meant hours,just felt like 2.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom