NEWS: Avengers: Endgame topples global box office records

This will beat aviator

Endgame garnered positive, even ecstatic, critical reviews and marks the culmination of Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which now consists of 22 movies.

With 22 films its easy to get confused but Endgame is still part of Phase 3 and the next Spiderman film will also be Phase 3.

Avatar is still the benchmark and sequels for that (4 of them) are heading our way also.

With 22 films its easy to get confused but Endgame is still part of Phase 3 and the next Spiderman film will also be Phase 3.

I thought Spider-man Far From Home is part of Phase 4? Or whatever Marvel is calling it? I was just going by the Wikipedia article (which could be incorrect).

I thought Spider-man Far From Home is part of Phase 4? Or whatever Marvel is calling it? I was just going by the Wikipedia article (which could be incorrect).

Not sure where I read it but found a lot of articles that state Spider-man Far From Home will be the last film of Phase 3...

What's happening in Marvel Phase 4?

I can't even be arsed to go and see it yet. The first one was okay, I think, I had no idea what was going on in it :)

I can't even be arsed to go and see it yet. The first one was okay, I think, I had no idea what was going on in it :)

IMHO these Avengers Marvel movies are a bit overly hyped-up. Yes, they're fun to watch supehero pop-corn flicks that require you checking your brains at the door, but there's certainly nothing super special in them. I mean the likes of Avatar or Titanic were unique and genre-defining, almost revolutionary movies, with very strong stories behind them, outstanding directorship, acting, etc. etc.. They were attractive to audiences across all (permissible) ages. You could watch and rewatch them again and again. Avengers? hmmm.. I remember sleeping through Avengers Assemble in 2012 as I had no clue of what was going on :confused:

To make things worse, Disney then f#~s up the blu ray transfer of their films in the sound department..

IMHO these Avengers Marvel movies are a bit overly hyped-up. Yes, they're fun to watch supehero pop-corn flicks that require you checking your brains at the door, but there's certainly nothing super special in them. I mean the likes of Avatar or Titanic were unique and genre-defining, almost revolutionary movies, with very strong stories behind them, outstanding directorship, acting, etc. etc.. They were attractive to audiences across all (permissible) ages. You could watch and rewatch them again and again. Avengers? hmmm.. I remember sleeping through Avengers Assemble in 2012 as I had no clue of what was going on :confused:

To make things worse, Disney then f#~s up the blu ray transfer of their films in the sound department..

Name another franchise that has built characters across 22 films and you might have a point.

The only reason why anyone would think these are overhyped is if they haven’t watched them all. Winter Soldier and Civil War, as well these bookends, are as good as anything across any genre, not just in terms of superhero flicks.

This is groundbreaking franchise cinema, there is no comparable franchise that’s been built in the history of film.

Avatar is ripped off old story material reworked, that really caught a break by pioneering 3D (and reaping the BO sales). A decade later, I would never recommend Avatar to anyone (or want to introduce my kids to it), but the MCU? Now that’s gamechanging.

If you're the type to 'check your brains at the door', then you its no wonder you and your mate have 'no clue what's going on'.

Avatar and Titanic are technically masterful, but if you consider their stories as 'genre defining' then I honestly dont know what to say.

In terms of story and character, Avatar is miles behind. If you want to talk about overly hyped and derivative...

Name another franchise that has built characters across 22 films and you might have a point.

The only reason why anyone would think these are overhyped is if they haven’t watched them all. Winter Soldier and Civil War, as well these bookends, are as good as anything across any genre, not just in terms of superhero flicks.

This is groundbreaking franchise cinema, there is no comparable franchise that’s been built in the history of film.

Avatar is ripped off old story material reworked, that really caught a break by pioneering 3D (and reaping the BO sales). A decade later, I would never recommend Avatar to anyone (or want to introduce my kids to it), but the MCU? Now that’s gamechanging.

If you're the type to 'check your brains at the door', then you its no wonder you and your mate have 'no clue what's going on'.

Avatar and Titanic are technically masterful, but if you consider their stories as 'genre defining' then I honestly dont know what to say.

I respect all of your opinions and tastes. If you’re a massive MCU fan and have watched all 22 movies then good for you. This means you personally are going to the cinema not because of the hype but because of appreciation.

But please don’t tell me that this movie will break all the records 100% because of enthusiasts like you. I bet at least half of the audience going and watching Endgame will do so because of the hype. Definitely not all will have watched even half of the 22 movies. That’s the hype that I’m talking about.

Titanic and Avatar had something special about them that catered to masses who went to see those movies again and again because of this. Be it revolutionising 3D and special effects, or touching the hearts of so many and swooping 11 Oscars. One should also remember that Titanic made those box office numbers without the all important Chinese market of nowadays..

I’m not in no way degrading the MCU movies but just stating an opinion that there’s nothing superspecial about them. Just the same linear ‘world is saved by a superhero’ stuff. And loads of CGI. There’s nothing intellectual in there to not to check your brain at the door. In my opinion, just because a superhero movie is part of 22 other very similar superhero movies doesn’t make a movie truly great.

I’m not a superhero superfan so, respectfully, I’m gonna stick to my opinion. These movies are fun and a one-off watch for me, but not my cup of tea and I’m certainly not alone in this opinion. Thanks

Last edited:
I respect all of your opinions and tastes.

I know you say you do, but it doesn't come across in what you've written.

You're deeply uninformed.

I’m not in no way degrading the MCU movies but just stating an opinion that there’s nothing superspecial about them. Just the same linear ‘world is saved by a superhero’ stuff.

If you had watched Captain America: Winter Soldier, or Captain America: Civil War, you would KNOW that this is an ignorant assumption based on the mere super-hero label. There's nothing linear about these movies, and the latter isn't anything to do with saving the world.

There’s nothing intellectual in there to not to check your brain at the door.

Based on? As @lucasisking said, if you choose to check your brain at the door, any movie can come across in lacking in intelligence, when that decision on the viewer is more revealing about them than the movie.

These characters have been exquisitely developed in a rich story. If you think that Avatar or Titanic have even comparable characterisation or stories, then you're - again - working on a bad assumption. And you rate Avatar/Titanic for the acting? Seriously?

In my opinion, just because a superhero movie is part of 22 other very similar superhero movies doesn’t make a movie truly great.

Neither Winter Soldier nor Civil War had 22 movies behind them.

I’m not a superhero superfan so, respectfully, I’m gonna stick to my opinion. These movies are fun and a one-off watch for me, but not my cup of tea and I’m certainly not alone in this opinion. Thanks

I understand that you're going to stick to your opinion, the frustration for fans is it is uninformed, but you're prepared to write off the entire sub-genre and devalue the opinions of those who have actually watched them and enjoy them based on... a feeling?

It's hard to make a comparison because no other franchise has accomplished this, but if you, say, fell asleep watching Godfather III, and then came on a Godfather Trilogy forum and started complaining about how all the Godfather movies are hyped because they are all about gangsters and hardly groundbreaking, I think you'd be seen as ignorant.

I'd say watch Winter Soldier to see if it changed you're mind, but I think you've already decided to disregard anything in the MCU.

But please don’t tell me that this movie will break all the records 100% because of enthusiasts like you. I bet at least half of the audience going and watching Endgame will do so because of the hype. Definitely not all will have watched even half of the 22 movies. That’s the hype that I’m talking about.

Titanic and Avatar had something special about them that catered to masses who went to see those movies again and again because of this. Be it revolutionising 3D and special effects, or touching the hearts of so many and swooping 11 Oscars. One should also remember that Titanic made those box office numbers without the all important Chinese market of nowadays..

I’m not in no way degrading the MCU movies but just stating an opinion that there’s nothing superspecial about them. Just the same linear ‘world is saved by a superhero’ stuff. And loads of CGI. There’s nothing intellectual in there to not to check your brain at the door. In my opinion, just because a superhero movie is part of 22 other very similar superhero movies doesn’t make a movie truly great.

What the hell are you talking about?

Mainly I was on about Mr 'Check Your Brains at The Door', but if the shoe fits.

Wow... cool...

I really struggled with the first one. Missing a couple of movies in the run up to it didn't help I suspect.

In my experience that phrase normally means: 'I want everyone to think I'm above all this'.

In my experience it usually means 'I know this is a popcorn-muncher, but I'm going to enjoy it anyway'.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom