NEWS: Arcam unveils entry level AVR5 AV receiver

£2000 and Dirac is a pay optional extra 🤔

Is this the first MQA enabled AV Reciever?

Arcam fanboys will lap this up. They love buying them just to tell the owners thread how dreadful they are :D

If it's half decent with music I could get rid of 3 boxes.

Will await a review or 12.

Indeed. No price for the Dirac addition on the Arcam site either.
It’s on the Dirac website, also options for the bass module, Arcam AVR-5 – Dirac
3768318F-F1F4-4455-870D-8691F3561642.jpeg

Ok product, probably.

The NAD T758 is still available at only £1300 and will probably sound about as good once you have Dirac sorted. bit short on HDMIs though and no 2.1. This is for my money the sweet spot in AVRs right now.

The 778 might be better than the AVR5 but is it £500 better? Then again the AVR5 puts a bit of price pressure on its own siblings…

Since when is £2k “entry level” for an AVR? You could pick up a used denon x8500 for that 🤔

puting a high end AVR on the market late 2021 and saying to people it need a "hardware upgrade for hdmi 2.1" IS RIDICULOUS and NOT TOLERABLE !!!

Ok product, probably.

The NAD T758 is still available at only £1300 and will probably sound about as good once you have Dirac sorted. bit short on HDMIs though and no 2.1. This is for my money the sweet spot in AVRs right now.

The 778 might be better than the AVR5 but is it £500 better? Then again the AVR5 puts a bit of price pressure on its own siblings…

The lowest models from Nad, Arcam and Anthem has been poor if we look the engineering behind them. Their main selling point is Dirac/ARC, but they have cheapened out in the overall design compared to higher models in the range.

Your 758 is still today the worst measuring receiver regarding DAC performance (SINAD = distortion and noise) and the internal amps are the worst measured also with Arcam AVR10 close by. And this new model AVR5 is basically similar to AVR10 at least with DAC/PSU side. T778 is better in every department so you get better engineering and more powerfull amplification. AVR10 / AVR5 power output figures are poor for expensive unit (measured to low distortion): 89w 2ch 8ohm / 120w 4ohm and went into protection, this is not happy with 4ohm loads. 1000£ cheaper receivers has more power with less noise and distortion, and don´t have issue with low impedance loads.

One thing to notice also which should apply to AVR5 is the preout measurements, 0,9v gave best performance with AVR10 so one should buy expensive Arcam poweramp with this AVR5 if more power is required.

People are getting proper mugged off paying those Dirac prices.

People are getting proper mugged off paying those Dirac prices.

So Arcam AV receiver would be cheap without DIRAC?

This is a company that basically doubled their retail asking price over the course of 12 months, citing R&D costs as being the reason for this and then proceeded to release subsequent models that were plagued with inherant software issues.

What you are basically paying for is Arcams reputation for making AVRs that sound good, especially relative to music sources. DIRAC is neither here nor there when it comes to the orice you are asked to pay.

Last edited:
So what EQ system does it come with, i.e. if you don't pay for the DIRAC upgrade?

So what EQ system does it come with, i.e. if you don't pay for the DIRAC upgrade?

You don't get DIRAC out of the box and have to pay extra for it. Arcam are offering a 50% discount on the DIRAC upgrade for those who buy the AV receiver now though. DIRAC is an additional cost.

Last edited:
Interesting, from the news article, "A custom designed in-house linear supply provides power and is capable of sustaining a total power consumption of 1.5kW." Which aligns with the data in the user manual.

Firstly, I think it's great the the specs section in the user manual quotes the simultaneous power delivery to seven channels.

But the slightly confusing thing is that the AVR5 quotes 60w but the AVR30 quotes 100w, yet they both quote the same maximum power consumption.

I know this seems like a geeky observation but (a) are they mis-selling something here, I don't want fellow members to be ripped off and (b) being a geek is allowed, we're on an AV forum 🤣

@Mr Wolf do you understand this, you're a amp power wizard?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, from the review, "A custom designed in-house linear supply provides power and is capable of sustaining a total power consumption of 1.5kW." Which aligns with the data in the user manual.

Firstly, I think it's great the the specs section in the user manual quotes the simultaneous power delivery to seven channels.

But the slightly confusing thing is that the AVR5 quotes 60w but the AVR30 quotes 100w, yet they both quote the same maximum power consumption.

I know this seems like a geeky observation but (a) are they mis-selling something here, I don't want fellow members to be ripped off and (b) being a geek is allowed, we're on an AV forum 🤣

The item isn;t a review and simply a news item relating Arcam's own press release.

1500w is the size of the PSU feeding the amp, 60w & 100w is the power the amps inside it produce. All amps produce heat and waste power in what they do, some will have more or less powerful amp / transistor modules to produce more or less watts seperate to the PSU feeding them. Also the AVR30 is a class G design so is more efficient, i.e. converts more power into speaker watts and wastes less as heat.

Interesting, from the news article, "A custom designed in-house linear supply provides power and is capable of sustaining a total power consumption of 1.5kW." Which aligns with the data in the user manual.

Class G efficiency in the 30?

It should be noted that there's technically no such thing as Class G. Class G is something Arcam themselves came up with and it is their own inhouse hybrid amplification. Arcam's Class G is however more effecient than more conventional Class AB amplification.

Arcam only incorporate Class G in their Flagship AV receivers. Only the AVR30 includes it. All models below it are Class AB.

It should be noted that there's technically no such thing as Class G. Class G is something Arcam themselves come up with and it is their own inhouse hybrif amplification. Arvam's Class G is however more effecient that more conventional Class AB amplification.

Arcam only incorporate Class G in their Flagship AV receivers. Only the AVR30 includes it. All models below it are Class AB.
I think class G (Arcam) & H (Emotiva) are not official classes but just a variation on class AB with fancy voltage rails that switch or modulate to higher voltages as required for more efficiency / power.

I saw 'entry level' and was expecting a price of £499 or £599, which is still a lot of money for bottom of the range entry level,.

I quickly ignored the review when I saw the £2k plus price tag.

I saw 'entry level' and was expecting a price of £499 or £599, which is still a lot of money for bottom of the range entry level,.

I quickly ignored the review when I saw the £2k plus price tag.

It isn't a review and simply a news report based upon Arcam's own press release.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom