NEWS: Arcam launches SA30 integrated amp

I also tried the acoustic correction via dirac live, it seems interesting to me. To do the definitive one I will wait to get to 200-300 hours of operation, but using the one done now I already know the good job it can do. here instead I have a problem with the roon, i.e. the activation and deactivation of the correction while listening to a track, the listening is interrupted. this only happens with roon, while with air play or chromecast there is no problem, I can listen to the differences without interrupting the song

Can someone with a Windows 10 PC / Laptop attempt to 'cast to device' a track to the SA30 as it hangs for me.

It's not a Windows issue as I can cast to my Oppo player with no problems. The SA 30 recognizes a track is being cast as it displays it's title but just hangs contacting network device and after a bit times out with unexpected device error at which point the cast to device app sees the player as it displays ARCAM SA30 Harman Luxury Audio along with the Arcam logo image.

Sorry I never do it that way round, it seems more convenient to me to have Asset UPNP running, then browse the collection from MusicLife app (I.e. remotely, from a mobile device) so having the amp effectively read from the server, rather then Windows casting. The only time I really cast is when sound source is not otherwise visible to my amp....eg. YouTube from a phone or tablet.

is windows effectively using chromecast to do what you describe?

Sorry I never do it that way round, it seems more convenient to me to have Asset UPNP running, then browse the collection from MusicLife app having the amp effectively read from the server, rather then Windows casting. The only time I really cast is when sound source is not otherwise visible to my amp....eg. YouTube from a phone or tablet.

is windows effectively using chromecast to do what you describe?
I do a similar thing. I use MinimServer on my Synology NAS but occasionally if I have a song on my laptop and just want to have a quick listen it's a handy thing to be able to do rather than having to put it on my NAS and rescan the library. Interestingly if I go to one of my UPNP servers from my laptop and right click it works. It's not the end of the world though just handy now and again.

Is that your site? Doesn’t seem to be many people posting and if unofficial I’m kind of not sure as to the point of it. Does the owner feed all this back to Arcam do you know Or otherwise have their ear in some way?

Is that your site? Doesn’t seem to be many people posting and if unofficial I’m kind of not sure as to the point of it. Does the owner feed all this back to Arcam do you know Or otherwise have their ear in some way?
Yes, I'm forum admin of The unofficial Arcam SA30 community and I was trying to help sorting out issues of an Arcam SA30 owner. The forum just started, so there are not many users yet. The other questions are addressed in the FAQ. You're welcome to post any issue related to SA30 you might have, see you.

Ps. I try to respect the rules of this form and I'm not advertising but answering questions.

I have just found out one of the best features of the SA30 and I found it by pure chance as I didn't see it advertised anywhere. It supports gapless playback!!

This means I will be able to massively reduce the storage space on my NAS as prior to purchasing the SA30 I was using a CDS27 and that didn't support gapless which meant any album that had joined tracks like all my live albums I had to join into one long track and also have the separate tracks in case I just wanted to listen to a single track. I can get rid of all the joined up albums now.

Hi, I'm a newby to the forum and am looking for some help. I've had my sa30 for a week now and have to say it's been a pain to figure out setting up. The biggest issue I have is that music life will not run on my android smartphone. I can install and open it but it closes straight away. Does anyone know of a fix for this or some other way I can access the app?

I did try it on android but couldn’t get it to recognise the sa30 as an airable device which is the same problem they had with the iOS app when the SA30 came out. I would report it and see if you can encourage a fix.

in the meantime if you don’t have an iOS device like an iPad, I suggest you use the web client from a browser, and preferabky from something with a much larger screen than a phone otherwise it’s going to be really fiddly.

go to your amp and press MENU, INFO, DIRECT, INFO x4 and this should get to the settings to show the IP Adress of the amp on your network. Note this down, press MENU again to exit.

Then got to your web browser and navigate to HTTP://<<insert your ip address here>>

note that in the display of the amp the IP address will be 4 numbers separated by colons, when you type it into your browser you want to use a full stop as separator instead

you will be presented by some useful info and setting pages, you will see a menu with various links across the top and from there select Web Client

Bookmark this in your browser :)

From there I hope you find it fairly easy to find your way around. It perhaps it’s the nicest looking interface, but it is simple and most importantly works and does some things the amp itself from buttons/remote or Music Life can’t yet (like play from a USB stick)

HTH

Hi, I'm a newby to the forum and am looking for some help. I've had my sa30 for a week now and have to say it's been a pain to figure out setting up. The biggest issue I have is that music life will not run on my android smartphone. I can install and open it but it closes straight away. Does anyone know of a fix for this or some other way I can access the app?

This is a known issue, refer to MusicLife doesn't start on Android 10, ref#70

By the way, I just read the responses about USB stick/drive support From your site... I am a bit dumbfounded by that given They’ve advertised the amp to do this and included it in the manual. If I was relying on it I’d be absolutely gutted and taking the amp back. Thankfully you can use uPnP for instance or just stream, and for now the web client also supports it (I wonder how long for? Best not auto update OTA!)

By the way, I just read the responses about USB stick/drive support From your site... I am a bit dumbfounded by that given They’ve advertised the amp to do this and included it in the manual. If I was relying on it I’d be absolutely gutted and taking the amp back. Thankfully you can use uPnP for instance or just stream, and for now the web client also supports it (I wonder how long for? Best not auto update OTA!)

There is some more info available on USB browsing SA30 and MusicLife

Arcam is not the Arcam of old.

They regularly bring things to market when they are not finished. They over-promise and under-deliver. They clearly cannot keep up with the demands of a rapidly changing digital environment. They have become a brand that is a shadow of its former glory. And their collective silence in the face of criticism is deafening.

I really thought the SA30 would be great for me but frankly why take the risk?

I did try it on android but couldn’t get it to recognise the sa30 as an airable device which is the same problem they had with the iOS app when the SA30 came out. I would report it and see if you can encourage a fix.

in the meantime if you don’t have an iOS device like an iPad, I suggest you use the web client from a browser, and preferabky from something with a much larger screen than a phone otherwise it’s going to be really fiddly.

go to your amp and press MENU, INFO, DIRECT, INFO x4 and this should get to the settings to show the IP Adress of the amp on your network. Note this down, press MENU again to exit.

Then got to your web browser and navigate to HTTP://<<insert your ip address here>>

note that in the display of the amp the IP address will be 4 numbers separated by colons, when you type it into your browser you want to use a full stop as separator instead

you will be presented by some useful info and setting pages, you will see a menu with various links across the top and from there select Web Client

Bookmark this in your browser :)

From there I hope you find it fairly easy to find your way around. It perhaps it’s the nicest looking interface, but it is simple and most importantly works and does some things the amp itself from buttons/remote or Music Life can’t yet (like play from a USB stick)

HTH
Hi and thanks for the advice. Am up and running with web client. Do you know whether this will enable me to play MQA via tidal?

Hi and thanks for the advice. Am up and running with web client. Do you know whether this will enable me to play MQA via tidal?

yes it will.....what I would do is to use the Tidal app on your phone to browse, then add it to you music collection, then You can see that filtered collection in a simple list by artist or album in the web client.

Has anybody managed to stream Amazon Music on the SA30?
Using the web client I can navigate to a screen which has a login for Amazon but it will not allow me to enter username and password.

Has anybody managed to stream Amazon Music on the SA30?
Using the web client I can navigate to a screen which has a login for Amazon but it will not allow me to enter username and password.

no. I contacted support about it and their response was along the lines of “that doesn’t seem right we‘ll look into it”. The web client suggests you have to setup via the app, but the facilities aren’t there. Not heard anything back since.

in the meantime only option is to cast from the amazon app, which is fine if you’re not expecting “ultra hd” I suppose.

HTH

no. I contacted support about it and their response was along the lines of “that doesn’t seem right we‘ll look into it”. The web client suggests you have to setup via the app, but the facilities aren’t there. Not heard anything back since.

in the meantime only option is to cast from the amazon app, which is fine if you’re not expecting “ultra hd” I suppose.

HTH
....except the reason you think of buying Arcam is because you're after audio quality.

Has been interesting reading this thread. As I've banged on about elsewhere, Arcam really do seem to be struggling to maintain quality since they shut their Cambridge factory and started manufacturing in China. Obviously a lot of the issues discussed here are around the poor implementation of software, so it seems several balls are bing dropped. Would be good to see them recover.

HTH
Thanks for replies. At least they know about it.

I cannot even cast from the Amazon app.

It just says "Sorry we cannot find any devices"

Am I missing something?

Has been interesting reading this thread. As I've banged on about elsewhere, Arcam really do seem to be struggling to maintain quality since they shut their Cambridge factory and started manufacturing in China. Obviously a lot of the issues discussed here are around the poor implementation of software, so it seems several balls are bing dropped. Would be good to see them recover.

actually I don’t see there to physically be any concerns, quality of build isn’t poor by any means. Are long standing owners concerned about design choices and materials, I guess so, but that’s a different thing I suppose,

Thanks for replies. At least they know about it.

I cannot even cast from the Amazon app.

It just says "Sorry we cannot find any devices"

Am I missing something?

what are you running the app on? iOS, Android, a windows PC?

im using airplay from an iPad , but it should chromecast too if you set that up via google

actually I don’t see there to physically be any concerns, quality of build isn’t poor by any means. Are long standing owners concerned about design choices and materials, I guess so, but that’s a different thing I suppose,
My experience with the A29 (which is a recent 2015 model) and the many complaints about transformer hum from the later FMJ and HDA ranges suggests different...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom